Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Where? Too wet?  (Read 646 times)

Offline Clyde S. Dale

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Kona Hoss
Where? Too wet?
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:38:10 AM »
Hi all,

Visiting from Montgomery County, MD, with my bike. Am totally unfamiliar with Florida soils and how soon you all are able to ride after a good wetting -- is there likely any place rideable after all this rain? In Maryland, we stick to rocks and ridges after a tropical storm. What's the equivalent here?

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Where? Too wet?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
The equivalent here is the road, or your trainer in the garage.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Clyde S. Dale

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Kona Hoss
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
I figured.

How many days, dya think, before things firm up?

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
meh...to be honest I'd say 2-3 days - Croom may be rideable tomorrow if the rain stops.  Alafia - forget about it, Boyette - see alafia - WTA - never again  carter road 50/50  Santos -  2-3 days (maybe sooner) for the all but the red trails  anything beyond those I dont know (like San felasco, ect...)
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »
Welcome Clyde... Don't listen to Pariah.  He is a good example of a MTB'er turned roadie.  I hear he even started to shave his legs.   ;D ;D

Keep you eye on here for the rest of the week as others get out there to ride and report.  I haven't ridden in over a week waiting for a chest congestion to go away.  But the equivalent is to avoid clayish trails.  Most of the Alafia trails are that. We have WTA, Boyette, Carter, Croom, and Santos.  Even San Felasco if you are willing to go a bit further up north.  WTA (flatwoods, trout creek, and morris bridge) are closed.  It was closed since last storm.  With the 2-3 inches of rain from TS Isaac, it is a goner for the rest of the year.  Boyette should be okay just try to avoid the trails in the back.  Sidewinder, Canyon, Pandomonium.  Alafia will probably not be a good idea.   Carter is probably very wet and soft.  I rode there 2 weeks ago and there were patches of mud here and there.

Your best bet will be Croom (long neverending flatish single track).  The fund pits are clay trails and probably not very rideable.  Santos will be another good choice but stay on yellow and blue trails.

Advertisement: