Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: evening rides  (Read 1913 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
evening rides
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
has anybody ever thought of doing maybe 7pm or night rides in the summer for people that have 9-5 jobs?

i love riding at night - especially when it starts getting real hot during the day

i am sure if some after work rides would start late enough to include people with 9-5s there would be a big turnout

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: evening rides
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:58 AM »
In more then one occation, we have had "flats" or some other random mechanical issue with our Thursday night ride... and what do you know??? Somehow, someone remembers to brings their lights... wow.. nice!!!   Just be prepare to bail your car from the tow company... LOL...

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »
most times in the summer when it gets super hot outside... people try to ride in the morning..

there is a program out at alafia called "beat the heat"...

if you have a season pass (one year) pass to alafia, then they'll give you a code to the gate so you can ride in the morning before the park even opens up.. 

-Bob  ;)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
like at 5am?  I am talking rides for people that work mon-fri 9-5 or 6 like 80% of the work force

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »
The earliest you are allowed in is 6:00am.... It is nice... You get to take down all the spider webs and get your bike all wet with the morning mist.... But is awesome...  The earliest I can be there is 7:30.  I did this last summer every other Friday... If anyone else is interested for a 7:30am ride on Friday's let me know.  I can only do it every other Friday or so....

BTW, the yearly membership is not the only way you get to have the combo.  I am not 100% sure but you can ask Julianne about this.  I belive if you are a member of the Alafia bike patrol (same as the WTA patrol) then you get to have the combo as well as free pass.  Again, ask Julianne because I am not sure.  I have the yearly $35 pass and it goes for a good cause anyway...So I suggest you get the year pass too.  You also get to park free at ANY other state park in Florida with it.

Calling 1MUTTHEAD!!!!    Let us know more details about this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:09:23 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
i think the membership is forty dollars now..  and i believe that marcel the gringo is right...  ;D

if you are part of the alafia bike patrol you get the beat the heat pass along with your bike patrol duties.  there are certain obligations that you must fulfill while doing the bike patrol though.. so you are earning it, but it's for a good cause and your out there riding, so its really not work anyways..

two cents..

-Bob  :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
so in other words - there is nothing being planned during the week for people that are employed that have mon-fri 9-5s?

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »
it is more difficult to get a night ride in because all the trails are closed at night, so technically you are not allowed out there....

there used to be a night ride on fridays for alafia.  if we could get enough people involved... that would show up EVERY time it would be worth it..   ::)

we would have to arrange something with the park rangers, so they'll stay, and we would probably have to collect money  :o to donate to the rangers for the time that they sacrifice so we can ride..  ;D

-Bob  ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 02:00:02 PM »
i dont mind paying to ride

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »
We ride 5:30-till-dark at Boyette. It's free, and if we know someone is showing up late we could bring FSR radios so you could contact us when you get there.

I have two "headlights" packed in my MULE... but when you stop moving they attract bugs to your face  :(
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:55 PM »
We ride 5:30-till-dark at Boyette. It's free, and if we know someone is showing up late we could bring FSR radios so you could contact us when you get there.

yeah we are just not supposed to be out there past dark without permission from the ranger, or the people living in that house, (which i think is the ranger)....

-Bob  :)

Advertisement: