Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: what is current trail status @ Morris Bridge/Flatwoods?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: 06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
what is current trail status @ Morris Bridge/Flatwoods?
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
Has anyone been out there this week? Wanna make a stop tomorrow and wondered if enough trail network is rideable besides just the main? Thanks...

Offline ender.

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Steel CX
Re: what is current trail status @ Morris Bridge/Flatwoods?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
The last time I was out there (9/14) the main from the power lines to the river was still pretty much a mud fest and after even more rain this week, I would suggest another trail.

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
Me and a friend have been riding around the rain/muddy spots.  Have not been over to the Flatwoods side at all.  Pretty sure it's still under water/mudfest.

But got almost 17 miles in today.  Left from TC, up to the levee, over to HITF.  Misery was holding water a few days ago but is down to very passable mud in a few spots today.  Went down Grandpa.  The part from the main to the first 3 way to Palmetto was muddy a few days ago but was OK today.  Rain has washed away tons of soil and a lot of that part of Grandpa resembles Washboard.  It's not longer an easy, no brainer trail.  Continued down Grandpa until the next break (where the big Bamboo is) and there's a big pool of water over the trail..something to be walked around.  Headed towards the Piglet section, that's totally under water.  Headed back towards main on Hogwild and there's one section still underwater but can be ridden thru since it's hard sand underneath.

Past the power lines heading towards Morris Bridge Park, a few days ago there was water in the trail.  No standing water past the bridge today, but about 4 really wet spots with heavy, deep mud.  Heavy, deep, black mud that sucks your tires and makes your legs work and makes you gasp for air.  And you keep pedaling because the alternative is to be face down in that deep, black mud that's probably filled with pig *.

And again, soil washed away and roots exposed where it's not deep in mud.

On the way back on main after the power lines took the first left which would take you back to the piglet  trails and intersect with hogwild and about 1/4 mile in it was totally underwater; a lake.  Turned around, back to main trail. Took the right onto Enchanted.  Has one underwater spot and one bad muddy spot.  Palmetto is fine..back to Grandpa.

Grandpa from main to main is dry, but eaten up by hogs.   

Took the levee and went over the river and went again towards Flatwoods until we hit water.  The trail had standing water on it before the turn off to Panther.  (that's where we turned around and went back to parking lot at TC)

This may be way too much info, but here it is.

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »
thanks for feedback Jen...with gas what it is,hate to drive from Palm Harbor and have to bypass the good stuff..unreal how saturated ground is that it's still holding all this water...hopefully it will dry by spring in time for Squiggy 6 hr! :P

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
Has anybody been here the last couple weeks to see how the trails are?

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
I was out on Saturday afternoon...water is receding,but still alot of standing water in areas...lots of erosion on main in areas and more rooty than usual...Piglet is still flooded around the Enchanted merge,alot of trails still closed...backside entrance(by shell road) of Heartbreak was open,so I rode it to second float bridge,it was ok.Indian,lower Grandpa,Washboard,Gator Bait still closed.Overall,lots of mud still...don't know about Flatwoods,didn't have time to ride over

Offline TheBob

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
Rode the trails this morning. The Main trail around all the parks is in good shape, no mud or water at all except for the one usual spot in Flatwoods where the creek flows over the trail (easily fordable). Misery, Palmetto, and even Grandpa are dry with no mud. I didn't go near the Piglet area, I would guess it's still under water. I would avoid Eubanks Parkway between Main and the paved trail, the section I saw by Main had running water on it. They are pumping water nearby and the whole area is flooded. Easily avoided by going down the dry Main trail.

Didn't go down Heartbreak Ridge this time, but it was fine last time I was out, so should be ok still. Some nice bumpy hog damage at the start, but I actually found it kind of fun, and suits the trail being "extremely difficult." There was some hog damage on Grandpa and in the middle of Flatwoods though.

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
I plan to get a session in today.  Hope thins are packed in a bit and the mud is gone.

Offline TheBob

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
No mud to speak of today, and not very much sand thanks to recent rain. Water has receded from Piglet area, had no problems there. Eubanks Parkway is fine now too. Looked like Indian was open, but I did not try it. Overall there was a fair bit of fresh hog damage.

Advertisement: