Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: NEW Golf Cart Entrance!!  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
NEW Golf Cart Entrance!!
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
We made a new section of trail today; what will be the NEW entrance to Golf Cart at Boyette after the sinkhole did it's thing.  You access it after exiting Gator Pit. Instead of going straight through the temporary out and back from Gator Pit veer right and drop into the NEW Golf Cart entrance! 

It is open and rideable now but be ready for the climb out as you will need to keep your speed and momentum up to climb it.  Should be a fun challenge though. 

Next time I get down there we will make the slope up a little more tame, but give it a try now and let me know what you think!

Garry
[/size][/font]

Offline bavarian3

• Huffy Rider
Re: NEW Golf Cart Entrance!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »
It was good, however going into GC, I went left which takes you back to Gator Pit, instead of right. I don't think that was there before.

What's going on at Ridgeline? It was closed for work. The rest of the trails were pretty soft.

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
What's going on at Ridgeline? It was closed for work.

Sometimes I can't resist. Ridgeline is closed... for work.  ;D

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »
It was good, however going into GC, I went left which takes you back to Gator Pit, instead of right. I don't think that was there before.

What's going on at Ridgeline? It was closed for work. The rest of the trails were pretty soft.

It was there before but closed off because of the sink hole so we did the rerouted entrance that allowed you to make the wrong left turn.  The NEW GC entrance is open and ready to ride if you go into Gator Pit like we used to do before all of this happened.  Then exit Gator Pit and drop into the NEW entrance to GC climb out of it and follow along past the soon to be closed temporary entrance to GC.  Whew - that was a mouthful!! The temporary OUT N BACK from GC to Gator Pit will be closed so we will only be using the new configuration.  Hope you all enjoy the fixes, changes, and reroutes.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
Thanks for all the work. While Ridgeline is my favorite section, its not a make or break deal for me. I still love Boyette without it.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline bavarian3

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

Yeah I know; but I mean't what work is being done. Sorry.

Yes I went into the NEW GC entrance. It's very nice and flows really well from Gator Pit.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Whad?? Ridgeline is closed?   :o   LOL....

Closed for restoration from all the summer rains and trail poachers...   ;)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »

Yes I went into the NEW GC entrance. It's very nice and flows really well from Gator Pit.

Ridgeline work = Heavy rains rutted out many of the drops.  Bike traffic on wet days left gullies, rutted out roots and left off camber lines and enhanced the erosion problem.  Hogs have also done their dirty work to multiply the damage in there.  To try and mitigate this we have spending many weekends (and weekdays) routing the water off of the trail, routing the trail on a higher side in some cases (reroute it back after THAT fix gets eroded), and armoring what just can't be moved.  A few spots need to be tweaked a little more, and others are just a constant maintenance thing of a seasonal trail.  So you see why the sensitivity of riding a closed trail, or policing one self of not riding a wet slick high maintenance trail that a volunteer hasn't had the chance to mark as closed yet.  We have other trails that need fixes from years of erosion and as soon as those fixes are made to bring them back to close to what they were you will be wowed by the amount of erosion that was corrected.  I wish more people could experience the task of repairing a damaged trail as we bring it up to sustainable status.  Some of it we learn over the years as we go along. Some of it you have to see what Mother Nature and use does to it.  Some of it we just f'd up in the first place when we built it.  But then we see how to fix it and make it better and last longer.  Many fixes we have done have lasted a few seasons already and look like they will last a few more.  That means less closure!  Every one jump and say YES to that!!  :-)  Anyway, that's the long story of what repairs are going on in Ridgeline.  I could make it longer but I would have to sign you up for a workday for that version...LOL  <Just kidding>

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
Next time I get down there we will make the slope up a little more tame, but give it a try now and let me know what you think!
Is fine the way it is now.  Maybe because I new it was coming up but nothing to it.  If anyting maybe the little dip before the climb.  But the whole thing is hard packed now.  Very nice work.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Thanks Garry, and thanks to all the volunteers who put in the new trails and maintenance.  Is there a new map reflecting these changes and the new sidewinder rim trail extension at the back?

Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
Thanks Garry, and thanks to all the volunteers who put in the new trails and maintenance.  Is there a new map reflecting these changes and the new sidewinder rim trail extension at the back?
The new map shows the Sidewinder extension but not the lower options because they are so close together you couldn't tell them apart on the map.  Golf Cart is the same thing, so no need to update the map.  I'm checking to see if the updated version is in the download section.  Also cloth maps can be bought at the Sunday group rides or a few local bike shops.

Offline Vogel

• Forum Newbie
  • Favorite Trail: South Abyss
  • My Bike: 2011 Hardrock
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:28:09 PM »
That confused the hell out of us today when we were heading to Gator pit!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »
That confused the hell out of us today when we were heading to Gator pit!

Hmmm, how is that?  You enter toward Gator Pit as we have done for years.  Exiting Gator Pit instead of taking the temporary out and back that was put in this year you drop to the right into the NEW Golf Cart entrance and follow Golf Cart around as usual.  This Saturday I will make more clear on the workday. 

Anybody willing to come out and help?  RSVP to trails at swampclub dot org.

Offline Peresite70

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2015 Spec. S-WORKS Enduro, 2013 Spec. EVO Stumpy, 2013 Spec Demo-8
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
Me and a couple friends rode boyette when you first fixed the Golf Cart enterance and didn't have any issues at all... And we rode it again yesterday and still no issues...  ;)
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »
Finally got to ride the new entrance....really good thanks for all the hard work.

Advertisement: