Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Headed to Eillijay  (Read 757 times)

Offline MLBMTBKR

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Stumpjumper FS
Headed to Eillijay
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
The wife and I are headed to Ellijay GA soon and I wanted to see if anyone could give some input on trail difficulty. We have only ridden trails here in FL and I was looking for some recommendations for her. She's good on North Creek, the intermediate parts of Rollercoaster and all of the intermediate trails at Boyette. She has been able to ride North Abyss a few times as well having to put her foot down on the harder climbs.

Are there any trails we should stay away from so we don't end up having to bail out or back track?

Are there any "MUST RIDES" within an hour or so of Ellijay?

Thanks!

Offline nolesworld

• First Bike
Re: Headed to Eillijay
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:41:43 AM »
Bear Creek and the Pinhoti's are good trails you should hit, as they are fast and flowy but nothing too technical.  Since you've never ridden out of florida, the shock to your system will likely be the extended climbs more than the technical issue.  Racoon Mountain in Tennessee is not too far and very cool, as its a little more technical but not as big of climbs as BC & the Pinhoti's.  Stanley Gap in Blue Ridge you should probably steer clear of your first time there as its pretty steep and not as flowy.  Ocoee(tanasi) is a good ride and is more like BC & Pinhoti's.  Enjoy!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
Be sure to stop in and talk with Mike and the gang at Cartecay River Bike Shop in downtown Ellijay. 

http://www.cartecaybikes.com/ 

They can give you low down on local trails, current conditions, and maybe even provide guides if needed.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
I highly recommend Rabbit Mountain.  It is ridiculously buff, fast and flowy.  No big sustained climbs or treacherous drops.  IIRC it is just over the border in NC (like a mile in).  Very fun, like a big roller coaster.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
The trails are not more technical at bear creek/pinhoti's, just more climbing... Bear creek is like a 4 mile climb, then you have a fast 4 mile decent that is pretty cool... I would make sure to go to Cartecay bike shop and ask, but I know sometimes LBS's like to sell maps before they give out info...

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:07 AM »
Cartecay will sell you maps copied from a book for $1 each. They're printed on paper so you'll want to bring a ziplock bag for them. It's a good deal and they're helpful if you're new to the trails.

Cycle South will refuse to tell you how to get to the parking lot for a trail system unless you buy a $17 book full of maps you'll never use. The upside of your visit will be watching the owner fail at mounting tubeless tires on a customer's bike...guy had to call Cannondale after several blow offs.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »

Cycle South will refuse to tell you how to get to the parking lot for a trail system unless you buy a $17 book full of maps you'll never use. The upside of your visit will be watching the owner fail at mounting tubeless tires on a customer's bike...guy had to call Cannondale after several blow offs.

Woody's in Helen does the same thing unless you pay him to shuttle you to the top of the local trail.... :)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »
This is the must do ride when in Ellijay, nothing too technical. The one change I make to this route is to park at the base of BC on gates chapel road, you will see other cars there, climb up BC rather than the FS road shown on the map, decend back down BC and follow the route thru Pinhoti 1 and 2, exit P2 and go left, take your next left on shakerag road, then a right on gates chapel back to your car. This a great ride, enjoy.http://www.mulberrygap.com/images/New_Site_Designs_2010/Mtn_Biking/GPS_Maps/Bear_P1_P2.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:05:25 AM by Scott »

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
I highly recommend Rabbit Mountain.  It is ridiculously buff, fast and flowy.  No big sustained climbs or treacherous drops.  IIRC it is just over the border in NC (like a mile in).  Very fun, like a big roller coaster.

Do you mean Jackrabbit by lake Chatuge?

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »

Do you mean Jackrabbit by lake Chatuge?

That's probably it.  I thought it was called Rabbit Mt. though, but yes surrounded by a lake, very cool.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline MLBMTBKR

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Stumpjumper FS
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
We had an awesome time back in October up in Georgia. We rode Tsali in NC on the first day then stayed at Mulberry Gap and rode Bear Creek,  P1 and P2. The climbing was brutal. I thought I was in pretty good shape on the bike, but I was wrong. I think I am going to spend some time riding the causeways here in Melbourne before I head back up north again.

You all were correct, there wasn't anything remotely as technical as Alafia has. The wife and I both agreed that P2 was the most "fun" it was a relatively easy climb and the down hill was long and fast single track.

Also, if you are wanting to ride this area I HIGHLY recommend staying at Mulberry Gap. You are right in the center of the trails, the showers/bathrooms are fully stocked and very clean and the food was awesome.

Here is a video with mostly Bear Creek, but a couple of clips of P2 as well. A short note on the beginning of the video... the first day it was raining and my wife was a bit hesitant riding the switchbacks, looking down the mountain, in the slippery clay and hesitated just enough for me to catch her spill on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSUDZy9SZg

Advertisement: