Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Disc brake noise  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
Disc brake noise
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:39 PM »
Am I the only person that has disc brakes that squeal? I have a full suspension bike and if I adjust the brakes for the feel I want they start to squeal after a bit of riding, especially the back brake. The rotors don't seem to be warped or anything. I've tried to realign the calipers but still get the same thing. I even took it to a shop for a tune up and get the same thing. They are Avid BB7 mechs, same pads that came with the set. ???
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Disc brake noise
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 12:26:32 PM »
How are you adjusting them? I've found on my Avid mechs that if the inside pad is too far in it'll make them squeal. When I have it just right they don't squeal at all.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
i had that poblem with my juicy carbons and cparider is in the middle of the same issue...i switched to organic pads and the squeek went away and they stop much better to boot

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Juicy-Disc-Brake-Organic/dp/B000IQ9M8W

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »
the hydraulic brakes are a little different in that both pistons will move, but on the mechanical brakes only the outside moves and it flexes the rotor over into the inner pad. So it makes them more sensitive to being adjusted. But I agree, if adjusting them doesn't help, or you have them right already, then switching pads can help. I know I need to find some different ones for my Marta's, they howl like a dog sometimes, and when they do that they don't stop for crap!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Leons_Bad_Side

• Huffy Rider
  • Foos Yo Daddy!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:47:14 PM »
Yes I have found that if I back off on the inside pad it goes away but then I have to grab more brake lever that I think I should. Of course it's the back brake so it's not to bad if its a bit soft. I may try some organic pads and see what happens. Anybody try one organic and one semi like mentioned in MBA?
No brakes you go faster!
Pete
}<((((>

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:29 PM »
Have you tried turning the outer pad in some to compensate? Or try tightening the barrel adjuster some at the brake lever. I have mine where I barely have to move the lever and I have brakes. It can be a pain though because the rotor has to be dead true to run them that close.

Advertisement: