Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What's in your plan?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
What's in your plan?
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
What do you do to burn fat, gain lean muscle, keep energized for endurance (long rides, not necessarily only for race training).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:38:39 AM by Garry »

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: What's in your plan?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
My "training" is comprised of jogging w/some sprints a couple times during the week, doing some situps & pushups a couple times during the week, and getting in one ride on the weekend.  The jogging really seems to help with the riding.  My recovery time between hard efforts on the bike is much faster now.  Seem to be shedding some fat in the process.  Primarily just trying to work towards longer rides and performing better in some endurance races (for fun) down the road. 

For energy I'm all over the place.  Pretty much any sort of calorie dense food product I find in the house comes with me.   Lately it has been fun size snickers, nuts, dried fruits, gels, a banana on longer rides, and even some toddler snacks that my daughter doesn't like (peanut butter & strawberry jammy sammies are awesome..110 cal in a super small package:  http://www.plumorganics.com/products/jammy-sammy-strawberry-jam-peanut-butter ).  For me the liquid calorie thing doesn't work out too well and I find I really need variety on longer rides otherwise I find it very difficult to stay fueled. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:15:35 AM by Alan »

Offline Big-E

• Hammers are now sponsored by the SHOUT BOX!
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
even some toddler snacks that my daughter doesn't like (peanut butter & strawberry jammy sammies are awesome..110 cal in a super small package:  http://www.plumorganics.com/products/jammy-sammy-strawberry-jam-peanut-butter ). .

Uncrustables I think is the name - Those are awesome! For me its Lance approved Waffles, chomps, blocks, shots, gels and what Alan suggested above. I get at least 30 mins of cardio 5 times a week between cycling and jogging. My normal diet does not involve sweets, sodas, processed food and I try and limit the amount of spongy/fluffy food items such as breads. This is a good post as sometimes I have no idea what I should eat in general.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:21:25 AM »
I eat a lot of skinless chicken, veggies, fruits, some oatmeal.  My work is somewhat labor some so my biking time has been reduced.  I used to get an hour of road biking in 3 times a week (avg. 17/18mph) then 3 hours MTB on the weekend.  Now it's 3 hours MTB when I can.  I'm searching for more metabolism building types of foods to change up my diet and energy a little.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:38:09 AM »
Changing your metabolism with food is tricky and hard.  My advise would be to change up your eating by going to 5 or 6 meals a day, smaller portion sizes.  This will energize your metabolism and keep it running throughout the day.  The idea here is that if you eat the usual 3 meals a day you trick your body into think food and calories are scarce so they are stashed away.  By eating more small meals a day your body becomes trained to burn the calories more freely because there is a constant store of food coming in...  You can even continue this into the first several hours of sleep by taking some casein protein about 30-40 minutes before going to sleep.  Casein is a slow digesting protein so it will keep your body burning for a while.  The 2ndary benefit to this is that for most people the 1st hour of sleep is when the body produces the most HGH and testosterone to repair and strengthen any muscles that were worked out that day - so this will also help with recovery, ect...

Anyway - good luck.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
pizza, tacos and beer

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
What do you do to burn fat, gain lean muscle, keep energized for endurance (long rides, not necessarily only for race training).
Trail running average 10 miles a week.
Trail riding average 15 miles a week.
Few hours in the gym to spectate babes.

Breakfast before
Running - glass of milk
Riding - a packet of oatmeal.

But I could lose few pounds.

Advertisement: