Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Are the Bailouts Well Marked/ What to look for  (Read 1665 times)

Offline MLBMTBKR

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Stumpjumper FS
Are the Bailouts Well Marked/ What to look for
« on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Heading to Croom for the first time this weekend. I am planning on parking at lot#1 and riding north on the blue trails and bailing out @ 14miles. I was just wandering if the bailout was marked or if there is a certain landmark to look for?

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Are the Bailouts Well Marked/ What to look for
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
They are well marked. If you take one ride straight across the limestone road and it will spit you onto the paved Withlacoochie rail trail. Hang a right on that and it will take you back to the lot eventually.

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: 06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »
It's hunting season up there til the 26th I believe...if you go,wear something brite!.I usually stay out of there til small game season at least(Dec.),but if u ride, wear an orange blaze hunt vest...seriously.Last year I rode during deer hunt,so many pickups on the fire roads and gun pops all day...

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »
you are setting yourself up for riding the least awesome section of trail there. Dont let your opinion of the entire trail system be set by this. Try the yellow trail first out of parking lot #3, or you may not want to go back.

Offline MLBMTBKR

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:03:59 AM »
hmm I was looking at the map and it was the most "named" section of the trail I figured this meant it had the most features. What do the colors stand for there? difficulty or just different sections of trail?

We will be sure to wear bright colors and will go mid-day. I figure I will be doing the hunters a favor I will jump the deer and get them moving for them! I am thinking about doing the duathalon there in December and want to ride it at least once before hand. I don't really see any other option except to ride during hunting season.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:12:28 AM »
your route is a good one, and it has the best variety out there. you will have some sand, climbs, lots of woods, and the named sections have some gnar. Bailouts are well marked as are the named sections. Beware the hunters and as Alan said the rail trail is on the other side of the road

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
The first half is pretty boring but as DW said if you ride all the way to the last bailout you get a good taste of Croom. Bring a good amount of water and some food. Mother Croom can be merciless.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »
The pits area between the 10 and 14 mile bailout is the best of croom, resist the temptation to bail at the 10 mile option, those first 10 miles were your admision fee. The riding also gets intesting in the drunken monkey portion, roughly about 7 or 8 miles in.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
What do the colors stand for there? difficulty or just different sections of trail?

Unlike most trails with the IMBA color code system Croom colors just mean different trail sections. Blue being the longest at around 32 miles; Yellow about 12+. Green bails, Red connectors.

Offline MLBMTBKR

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
Thanks. Yeah I was definitely planning on going the whole 14 miles. I regularly ride 20+ at Alafia and Boyette I just didn't want to go past the 14 bailout and end up on a 32 mile ride. I always carry 70 oz and will bring an extra bottle with me too. Thanks for help guys. I will actually be out there on Monday and am planning picking up some blaze orange sticky strips to stick on my helmet for the ride.

Offline psychlyst

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • I eat paste...
  • My Bike: 06 Specialized FSR XC Pro
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »
Weekdays should be lighter with the hunting traffic...enjoy the Croomage and give your feedback on the ride

Offline RD

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
First time riding at Croom and parked at Twin Pond Road parking lot.  Saw about twenty hunters on the road and heard two shots both days.  Went yellow trail last Tuesday and Sunday. Went off the trail Tuesday after doing the north loop and did not want to call it a day so went south and onto blue trail and side roads and got lost - saw deep white sand hills on the roads I dared not go down those hills to go up the white sand hilll roads at the bottoms and other side - and reluctantly went cross country (problably a bad no no) to get back half hour before dark must have gone 30 miles. Sunday I stayed on the trail all the way round and many new fallen pine needles made the white sands much easier to slog - this time I did not decide to keep going after the first loop and went home with some energy left. 
Thanks SWAMP that was a blast.  Riding my 13yo Diamondback no suspension was bumpy.  Maybe I need to get a new bike.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »
RD, glad you had some fun sort of... we haven't had much rain lately so croom may be a bit sandy.  But fire roads there get a lot of horse traffic and are always a must avoid unless you need a bail out.  Assuming you know which directions the road runs.  That twin pond rd parking you mentioned.  It think that is parking #2 mainly used by the horse riders.  So you know, it is best to park at lot#1 by the fire tower or by #3 off withlachoochee paved trail.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
RD, glad you had some fun sort of... we haven't had much rain lately so croom may be a bit sandy.  But fire roads there get a lot of horse traffic and are always a must avoid unless you need a bail out.  Assuming you know which directions the road runs.  That twin pond rd parking you mentioned.  It think that is parking #2 mainly used by the horse riders.  So you know, it is best to park at lot#1 by the fire tower or by #3 off withlachoochee paved trail.
#1 is by the coochie, #3 is at the fire tower ;)

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Thanks SWAMP that was a blast.  Riding my 13yo Diamondback no suspension was bumpy.  Maybe I need to get a new bike.

Rigid rules!! ;)

Advertisement: