Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Open Angry Letter To Bike Riders.  (Read 2638 times)

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
Open Angry Letter To Bike Riders.
« on: December 31, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »
It has been pretty much 3 years since I was first introduced to Boyette trails. Every time I come out there it is either borderline awesome or an eye opening experience. Considering how much I ride there I think I have seen it all. Thankfully most people that ride there respect other folks, greet you, ask you if you are ok... you know the usual.

And there there are "THOSE" people. You know who you are and don't you dare hide behind anonymity of internet.

First rule of mountain biking is a no brainer... have fun and be safe.
Second rule of mountain biking is respect the trail and others.

Why is it so hard? Every time I come out there... there is always that one person who goes out of his way (and its usually a he) and borderline abuses riding privileges.

Perfect example... today I was at bottom of Gator Pit setting up my video cameras. Bike off the trail, my back turned to trail head, I am about 3/4 way into the trail getting ready to place my gopros up the hill so I could do that nifty angled shot. Before I was able to abandon the bike and walk to the corner and then up the hill... this guy coming in a straight line (I see him)... he picks up the speed (mind that we are good 100 feet away from trail exit uphill thing) and angles his bike in such a way that I felt corner of his handlebar swoop past my water pack. I was standing 3 feet away from the trail so he did it quite deliberately because he came off the trail up the ravine to swoop by me. He had plenty of space and yet there he was.

And at other times I am riding the trail minding my business (and I am always courteous to faster bikers so I hear them and pull off to the side to let them pass)... and these monkeys actually pass me on either side at most dangerous parts of trail going full speed. This happened to me on Canyon on final climb where a guy passed me on inside almost shoving me off the drop. That happened to me on Side Winder Extension when I was passing the jump area and guy flew by me striking my front tire with his rear tire. That happened to me on Golf cart right as I was climbing about 1/2 way in with that rock on the up-slope angling right into a u-turn. That happened to me on lower spider berm when a guy passed me by Flamingo and on Randy's trail right over the bridge and the list goes on and on.

Well.. mr. smarty pants... I hope your time comes. I do not want you to get hurt or damage the bike but when your time comes and it will come I hope it will be at most inconvenient time and scare the bejesus out of you.

End of rant.

Ride within my safety limits

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
Re: Open Angry Letter To Bike Riders.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:28 PM »
Today I am out at Boyette shredding some gnar. I get to Gator Pit and my ego is fully pumped up since I had freshly shaved my legs and eaten like six Honey Stinger Waffles. About 3/4 of the way in some dude is playing around off to the side of the trail - I think he was taking a leak. I can't slow down so I yell "Strrrrrravaaaaaaa," but the guy jumps out and tries to hit my handlebars with his Camelbak. Modifying a .gpx file is one thing, but attacking others to protect a KOM is entirely different.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:27:30 AM »
should have put up signs saying "Caution! Film Crew Ahead"!..... :'( :o

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »
Probably a roadie.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
Today I am out at Boyette shredding some gnar. I get to Gator Pit and my ego is fully pumped up since I had freshly shaved my legs and eaten like six Honey Stinger Waffles. About 3/4 of the way in some dude is playing around off to the side of the trail - I think he was taking a leak. I can't slow down so I yell "Strrrrrravaaaaaaa," but the guy jumps out and tries to hit my handlebars with his Camelbak. Modifying a .gpx file is one thing, but attacking others to protect a KOM is entirely different.

;D

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:00:39 PM »
I've been editing my videos all weekend so will post something on the board as soon as I can.

If that was you wearing a white shirt... trust me you did not yell anything and I did not jump in front of you. But if that is the way you saw it.. perhaps you were shredding too much gnar for one day and were crossing space time continuum breaking the sound barrier?! I was waaay off the tray sir.

Parking lot was almost empty when I came in around noon so I figured... there was no way I could be run over by a biker on New Year's eve... I guess I was wrong.

Ohh and happy new year folks.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
It wasn't FatCamper.  He was being facetious, joking about Strava Meatheads who won't slow down because they are trying to maintain the best time.  lol.  Good luck to you with the vids, and always remember trail etiquette is a two way street.  Best for all to err on the side of caution and politeness!  (probably was a roadie, too.  I bet he shaved his legs just so they were shiny enough to blind other riders as he flew by! o.O)
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
Can't wait for footage of your butthurt...

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 07:47:46 AM »
Confession....it was me.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:07:55 AM »
A $ $  holes are everywhere, that is life. There seem to be far more driving cars than on bikes. ;)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
It has been pretty much 3 years since I was first introduced to Boyette trails. Every time I come out there it is either borderline awesome or an eye opening experience. Considering how much I ride there I think I have seen it all. Thankfully most people that ride there respect other folks, greet you, ask you if you are ok... you know the usual.

And there there are "THOSE" people. You know who you are and don't you dare hide behind anonymity of internet.

First rule of mountain biking is a no brainer... have fun and be safe.
Second rule of mountain biking is respect the trail and others.

Why is it so hard? Every time I come out there... there is always that one person who goes out of his way (and its usually a he) and borderline abuses riding privileges.

Perfect example... today I was at bottom of Gator Pit setting up my video cameras. Bike off the trail, my back turned to trail head, I am about 3/4 way into the trail getting ready to place my gopros up the hill so I could do that nifty angled shot. Before I was able to abandon the bike and walk to the corner and then up the hill... this guy coming in a straight line (I see him)... he picks up the speed (mind that we are good 100 feet away from trail exit uphill thing) and angles his bike in such a way that I felt corner of his handlebar swoop past my water pack. I was standing 3 feet away from the trail so he did it quite deliberately because he came off the trail up the ravine to swoop by me. He had plenty of space and yet there he was.

And at other times I am riding the trail minding my business (and I am always courteous to faster bikers so I hear them and pull off to the side to let them pass)... and these monkeys actually pass me on either side at most dangerous parts of trail going full speed. This happened to me on Canyon on final climb where a guy passed me on inside almost shoving me off the drop. That happened to me on Side Winder Extension when I was passing the jump area and guy flew by me striking my front tire with his rear tire. That happened to me on Golf cart right as I was climbing about 1/2 way in with that rock on the up-slope angling right into a u-turn. That happened to me on lower spider berm when a guy passed me by Flamingo and on Randy's trail right over the bridge and the list goes on and on.

Well.. mr. smarty pants... I hope your time comes. I do not want you to get hurt or damage the bike but when your time comes and it will come I hope it will be at most inconvenient time and scare the bejesus out of you.

End of rant.

GoPro's are like A-Holes, everybody has one.

But on the real,

I'd say the blame is on you for doing that in the middle of a fast flowing trail. Gator Pit takes my slow ass 34 seconds to go from entrance to exit, so i can just imagine an Elite SB rider going thru it and finding some dude running across the trail after setting up Soap Boxes to catch some sweet berms.

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
When filming on an active trail always be alert and constantly keep an eye on the trail for riders. I always make sure to be far out of the way when someone is approaching.
I wouldn't get too upset about almost getting hit either. The Key word is "almost", he didn't hit you and if he did he would most likely be the one to get injured. So suck it up and roll with it. I've had my Go-Pro and camcorder ran over numerous times and I always feel the need to apologize to the riders since I'm the one that shouldn't have had them in the way to start with.
So just have fun filming and give those who are there to ride the right of way. See ya on the trail ::)

By the way, If any of you ever see me too close to the trail filming feel free to plow into me ;)

Would be good for the Fails video :o

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
thats why i ride early or late..... to avoid most everyone filming their most awesome ride.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
I posted my video in "videos" section but here is a link in case you guys are interested.

This is my first mountain biking video. I filmed myself on most blue trails. (still need to add drive by shots next time I go biking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiPNtYQzLvw

First video shows Loch Ness, Lower Spider Berm and Gator Pit

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »
At least the music complements your bike well.
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Advertisement: