Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Croom 50 route  (Read 793 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Croom 50 route
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
Hey All - It's been a few years since I was out at Croom. I know there were some changes to the trails to separate the MTB trails from the enduro trails. How do those changes affect the route for the Croom 50? I was eyeballing the new map and I notice a pretty big chunk of what used to be the first 10 miles is gone. Many thanks.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Croom 50 route
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:05:12 PM »
Trust me - you can easily go over 50 miles either on purpose or by accident.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure. That doesn't really answer the questions about what the route is for the Croom 35/50. I assume there is still an official route. Though, it would be an interesting experiment in human nature to just let everyone involved pick their own route on Feb. 16. 

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
Rockhopper I'm probably going to make a rambling abortion out of this but best I can remember from last year...

Start at fire tower parking lot riding yellow counter clockwise to just before yellow crosses croom road
Take Red Connector over to blue riding blue counter clockwise, crossing croom road, the bailouts, drunken monkey, ect.
Sugar mountain loop for some pain
Continuing on croom blue the 35ers take the red connector over to yellow and finish up counter clockwise
50 milers continue croom blue to where it crosses back to south side blue and we re-ride that section going the the opposite direction of what we started.
We cross the road one more time, catch the connector over to yellow on the north side, and finish the yellow riding counter clockwise to end up back at fire tower parking lot. 
I think my gps showed 48.8 last year.   Hope that helps.
Jason

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
That helps. I figured the new route would include riding at least part of the trail in both directions. I just wasn't sure which part. Your description makes sense. Many thanks.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
Rockhopper,
The Croom 50 route was separated, from the most part, from the enduro trails last year.  There was a bypass added late this summer south of Tucker Hill to bypass the water that lasted for months on the south yellow trail.  The bypass would take you back to croom road for a bit before taking you back to the yellow trail.  I am not sure if is dry yet but that is probably the only difference on the route from last year.  Here is the route from the 2012 Croom 50:

http://app.strava.com/segments/2396985

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »
Yellow trail is good to go Sandpine, have ridden it twice in the past couple weeks.  All is dry and riding nice.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
Thanks. The info and map are appreciated.

Advertisement: