Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: handlebar width  (Read 4204 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
handlebar width
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:58 AM »
ok - i have not cut my bars down.  what is the proper handlebar width and can carbon bars be cut to the correct length?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: handlebar width
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »
This is more of a personal preference and it will be different for everyone.  I always cut mine at least one inch on each side.  My current carbon Monkey Lite SL's are down to 22.5 inches.  Some will say that making the bars shorter will take a slightly stronger effort to turn.  It may be, but down two inches from normal length, I don't notice the difference in effort.  I do notice a MAJORr difference in confidence.  No problems on the quadrants at Boyette now.

You can cut carbon bars just be careful on which saw you use.  Plumber's pipe cuting tools are good.  If you use a hacksaw, make sure the blade is brand new and very fine.  If you take the bar off and bring it to a LBS, they might cut it for you for free.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
i didn't know if it was a personal preference thing or a body mechanics thing...like cut them depending on shoulder width. 

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »
when you cut your bars.. you should be cutting for feel..  wider bars are nice.. i personally dont like cut bars.. but when i by bars i buy them based on width and weight...

-Bob  ;)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »
mine seem fine...i just hear of people cutting them and never knew why

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
Totally personal preference. I agree with Bob for myself, but I understand why Marcel did his.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 10:10:24 AM »
is that something that should be addressed at a proper fitting?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »
I have had two fittings done at AJ's.  Both addressed the lenth of my arm reach relative to length of stem as well as angle.  Neither addressed the length betwen my hands on handle bar.  It is totally based on feel, confort, and confidence.  But what do I know....there may be a proper length suggestion based on should length.  I for one think is totally individual's preference. But ask Dave at AJ's next time you there to see if they addres that.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 11:08:57 AM »
Whatever reason for cutting those expensive handlebars (tight spots?) try adjusting your grips to narrow it to whatever supposed width you like and ride for couple of times and feel the difference. Advantages maybe less snagging branches and hugging trees but disadvantages are less stability and control (just slight) and I heard from other friends experiences that it affects your breathing (?) too since you are squeezing your chest.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
OK - just for the phyisical mechanics of it..i just did a little experiment with a broom handle.

i gripped it and then slid my grip out and in and there definately is a "sweet spot" where your wrists are in a comfortable non binded position. 

doing it on a broom stick definately shows that width compared to your shouilder width makes a big difference.  so i have to think that there has to be a sweet spot on your handlebars based on your physical size as well.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
I run mine around 24 inches. There are a few spots that I can barely make with them that wide at Carter Rd though. I just go by what is comfortable, but I figure if my fat shoulders won't fit between the tree's what is the point of having handlebars that will? ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
HAHA - good point

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 03:40:46 PM »
OK - just for the phyisical mechanics of it..i just did a little experiment with a broom handle.

i gripped it and then slid my grip out and in and there definately is a "sweet spot" where your wrists are in a comfortable non binded position. 

doing it on a broom stick definately shows that width compared to your shouilder width makes a big difference.  so i have to think that there has to be a sweet spot on your handlebars based on your physical size as well.

However, if you check your handlebars with that very same broomstick you will see that the handles are NOT straight on to eash other like the broomstick might be.  That fact alone changes your "sweet spot" theory since your hand angle is very different on a real handlebar compared to a broomstick.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
i understand that there is a sweep - say for instance if you use a handlebar instead of a broom stick and you do the same thing - as you move your hands out and back together there is only going to be 1 distance where your wrists are not in some sort of bunded position

Offline ejosrq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 09:10:24 PM »
24" to 25" seems about right. My Race Face bar was 26 1/2" stock - too wide for tight spots between trees on most of our local trails. After tirmming to 25" I have had little problem squeezing through. Just sight the trail through the trees and the bike (should) follow. 
---------------------------------------------------------
Giant Trance (FS)
Access XCL (HT)
Raleigh Tangent (vintage)
Rocky Mountain Solo 70st (road)

Advertisement: