Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Getting ready to get dirty...?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Ryan_M

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Giant XTC0
Getting ready to get dirty...?
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:33 AM »
I've been a roadie since I was 15 and plan to get into mountain biking soon. I'm going to take the 'intro to mountain biking' course offered for sure. I'm just wondering what I'm going to need or how I should be equipped when I go to do that. I Have a Giant XTC0 which looks like a not so capable bike from what I've seen from watching the videos (IIRC they were made by a member here) it seems fully suspended bikes are the norm and mine is a hard tail, but it's what I have to get started. I guess the first question is what if anything I should change on the bike to get ready... tires maybe? Also I see in the videos I mentioned that people are carrying back packs. I assume there are spare tubes and a tire in there and do I need to show up with this? or what else should be in there?  Last question, should I be clipped in or put platform pedals on? My bike came with clipless pedals but they seem a real pain and take some fiddling to clip into which I would think mountain bike pedals should be real easy to get into though maybe I just need more time with them.

Thanks for any advice,
Ryan

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Getting ready to get dirty...?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Your bike is more than capable.  Ride it as is.

Offline Poohbah

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
All good questions, and they all will be answered in the class. Your only requirement for the class is bike, helmet and hydration. A water bottle will be fine. In class we discuss the benefits of the backpack hydration systems (Camelbacks). We also cover tools, tires, proper bicycle setup, and just about any other questions you may have.

Clipless do take getting used to, but eventually getting in and out becomes second nature. They definitely are the way to go. Keep 'em for now and we can talk about upgrades.

Full vs hard tail will be discussed, and other class members can chime-in as to their preferences. Your riding requirements and where you plan to ride will greatly influence what bike configuration will best suit your needs.

Now all you need to do is register for class.

wes@SWAMPclub.org

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:40 AM »
The Mrs. and I both took the beginners class when we started an it was well worth it.

Advertisement: