SWAMP Community Forums
April 23, 2008, 06:44:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 8, 2008), 2008 Results  here. How did you do?

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Trail to Trail Race: August 19, 2007
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail to Trail Race -Aug 19th  (Read 3304 times)
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 08:44:28 AM »

i got a last minute gig in cocoa beach saturday night which put me back in tampa at 4:30 am sunday morning so i woke up late went to suncoast and did a miserable 4 1/2 hour ride between 11am and 3:30pm.  Hats off to you all that raced in that heat.  It was like an oven.  So i guess my racing debut is going to be the race at Santos.  So who is doing the 13 hours solo and who is doing only 6?  I had planned on  the 13, but after riding in the heat yesterday, I am rethinking what a realistic goal might be for me.  I am thinking I am better off to do 6 hour solo or do a Team (allthough probably too late to get on a team now) 13 hour.

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 10:05:54 AM »

So who is doing the 13 hours solo and who is doing only 6?  I had planned on  the 13, but after riding in the heat yesterday, I am rethinking what a realistic goal might be for me.  I am thinking I am better off to do 6 hour solo or do a Team (allthough probably too late to get on a team now) 13 hour.

I thought the solo was 6 hours, and the team relay was 13 hours?
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 10:14:36 AM »

So who is doing the 13 hours solo and who is doing only 6?  I had planned on  the 13, but after riding in the heat yesterday, I am rethinking what a realistic goal might be for me.  I am thinking I am better off to do 6 hour solo or do a Team (allthough probably too late to get on a team now) 13 hour.

I thought the solo was 6 hours, and the team relay was 13 hours?

"pre-entry $140 teams / Expert team $200 / $45 6 hr solo / $60 solo / $20 kid team"

that is from entry form so it lookslike 6 hours is $45 and 13 hours is $60

http://www.goneriding.com/2007/13%20Hours%20of%20Santos/07-13hour-main-page.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 10:18:04 AM by FACTORe » Logged

slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11:11 PM »

Treadlight, congrats on finishing bro! That by itself is a heck of an accomplishment! Were you riding with just bottles and no camelback? I've tried that, and for me it is almost impossible to drink enough. How serious are you wanting to be racing?

my other ride has 599 more hp.
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ss29erposer whoneedsknees nostandingup

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 01:10:40 PM »

If you finished that race in that heat you should be proud! The heat out there was ruthless! Lots of suffering was going on out there.
Thanks. It was very hot plus the wind just pounds on you on the road. All hands to you if you did this on ss.
I overheard couple of guys could not finish because of cramping and too much heat. There was no major crashes just small cuts that a cold brewskie could not repair Grin. I saw a pick-up truck with Swamp decal but could ot find the owner, was that yours? Anyways, I am waiting for the result but I think I was past 4 hours but was not the last to finish. I stayed for the awardings but could not see any familiar faces just the names that you recall from previous race results. I know Ryan Woodall got the first for Solo..again.
Next time you guys let me know if you will show up so I can hang around with people I know, it kinda makes you feel comfortable and focus and really helps out the drive to get to the finish line.

Threadlight,
Good job sticking it out through the pain.  Just reading your description sounds painful.  Adrenaline can make you forget your gameplan. 

How did everyone else do at this event?  Come on, let's hear your story.  Is always good to read other participant's description of a race/event.  So much to learn... 
Thanks Bro. Yeah it was painful but once I cross that finishline everything feels great and I felt like doing another 8-mile lap Grin. Entering this race my goal is to finish less than 4 hours (45min on first 8-mile, 2hrs on 35mi road and 1hr for the second 8-mile lap) all bets were off when I fell to the ground and sat for almost 30 minutes, my goal changes to just finishing the race and not get hurt on the last 8-mile lap. We had a mass start and what I did is hang behind the Expert solo, there was a couple of crashes and was able to pass couple of people I know I was in front of my class and that was screwed up my game plan..could not contain the excitement and common sense just went over my head and went out with not enough hydration. After the first lap, what I saw on the faces of a season racers were calm and in-control-mode, it's a mind game they say. But when your body says 'thats it' there is nothing you can do.
Either I will get a single speed hardtail or a road bike to be stronger or spend more time in the saddle to build endurance, I need to get it soon.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

http://treadlight-mtb.blogspot.com/
http://pinoymtbiker.proboards7.com/index.cgi
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »

Next time you guys let me know if you will show up so I can hang around with people I know, it kinda makes you feel comfortable and focus and really helps out the drive to get to the finish line...

Either I will get a single speed hardtail or a road bike to be stronger or spend more time in the saddle to build endurance, I need to get it soon.

Threadlight,
I plan on setting up a tent at Santos for me and two other girls ( Roll Eyes ) doing 6 hr solos.  Our plan is to stop by the tent every lap and rehydrate/eat and change gear if needed.  Jim and his team is going to set up tent next to us so that they can watch over our gear while we are out.  I don't know if Garry and Humberto's team will be close by but I am sure they are probably planning on a tent too. I am sure one of us will have some kind of SWAMP sign out there.  You are welcome to use my tent if you like.  I will try to stay after the 6hr solo so if you still doing 13hrs solo, I'll be glad to pit for you.  I can at least lube your chain or get your lights ready while you rehydrate.  See you then...

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 01:33:38 PM »

Treadlight, congrats on finishing bro! That by itself is a heck of an accomplishment! Were you riding with just bottles and no camelback? I've tried that, and for me it is almost impossible to drink enough. How serious are you wanting to be racing?
Thanks Bro. I was using my camelback for the first 8-mile lap but used bottles on the second, I drink before entering and after exiting a technical section and while at the double tracks.
My ultimate goal on mtb is to finish a 24 hour and at least podiumed on an event. After that I will probably try the triathlon scene---ultimate goal finish an Iron Man event. I am doing this without a major time invested on these activities (I don't know if this is possible, any inputs?) since a family man needs to put his family first...blah. blah. blah.. But most of all the reason I enter on these mtb race is to see how I fair against the best in the field.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:55 PM »

Thanks Bro. I was using my camelback for the first 8-mile lap but used bottles on the second, I drink before entering and after exiting a technical section and while at the double tracks.
My ultimate goal on mtb is to finish a 24 hour and at least podiumed on an event. After that I will probably try the triathlon scene---ultimate goal finish an Iron Man event. I am doing this without a major time invested on these activities (I don't know if this is possible, any inputs?) since a family man needs to put his family first...blah. blah. blah.. But most of all the reason I enter on these mtb race is to see how I fair against the best in the field.

good goal - i have been trying to learn to swim the correct way so i can start doing some tri's - i am going to try a sprint distance just to see how I fair in that. 

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »

Next time you guys let me know if you will show up so I can hang around with people I know, it kinda makes you feel comfortable and focus and really helps out the drive to get to the finish line...

Threadlight,
I plan on setting up a tent at Santos for me and two other girls ( Roll Eyes ) doing 6 hr solos.  Our plan is to stop by the tent every lap and rehydrate/eat and change gear if needed.  Jim and his team is going to set up tent next to us so that they can watch over our gear while we are out.  I don't know if Garry and Humberto's team will be close by but I am sure they are probably planning on a tent too. I am sure one of us will have some kind of SWAMP sign out there.  You are welcome to use my tent if you like.  I will try to stay after the 6hr solo so if you still doing 13hrs solo, I'll be glad to pit for you.  I can at least lube your chain or get your lights ready while you rehydrate.  See you then...

when are you all going up?  i am going it alone and wouldn't mind having a tent next to some other "friendly's" tents

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »

Let's move over to the 13 hours of Santos thread to discuss details. 

Moderator,
Can you please split this now and add these posts over there?  Thanks...

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 01:49:20 PM »

Moderator,
Great idea so I can respond. LOL

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 01:56:52 PM »

Moderator,
Great idea so I can respond. LOL

i already continued this over there in the 13 hour thread

Harvey
Ride Guide
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »

Nice job sticking it out, treadlight. It seems to take a race to find out what it "really" feels like to dig deep.

EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 04:18:14 PM »

Congrats Treadlight on finishing the race. I skipped the race because I couldn't face the heat on a Sunday morning. I didn't go outside  my air conditoned house  all week-end. No regrets either!! Grin Grin Grin It was brutal out there between the heat and the wind and if that  was your first race, you should be proud that you finished.  That is a tough course that Red Trail Racing puts together and to ride that third leg in the dirt when one is fatigued is brutal. All those that raced, good job!!!   

" Not this time, Lance"
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 05:57:04 PM »

What I can't believe is that I have seen riders cheating by cutting trails Angry. For the prize money I don't think it's worth it and you don't want that medal hanging with a guilt attach to it. There were couple of instances on the off-road laps that riders just by-pass  sections. Sucks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: