Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail etiquette  (Read 942 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Trail etiquette
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:41:36 PM »
Trails are designed and laid out usually for specific reasons.  This side of a tree or that;  straight down with immense rock armoring; or have a hook in the trail that follows a path that allows drainage, a strong edge, or better yet - an option for a different rider experience which makes you a BETTER rider.

Then along comes someone who never inquires about the why or what for and alters the trail to what they want.  I have been battling back and forth with some mystery people on a section of trail that falls into just this category.  If need be I will bring in cement, rocks, chain-link fence and posts - whatever it takes to have the trail ride and feel close to the way it was designed and intended.

I would challenge the mystery person to come out and spend some time on workdays; get the feel and understanding of what it is and why it is that we do things a certain way.  But I fairly well imagine those individuals would be closed minded to the design and purpose.  I donít claim to be right all of the time but I think I have this one.  It is for the rider experience.  It is the skill of mountain bike riding the terrain of the trail.  It is a mountain bike trail.  Road bikes leave the parking lot the other direction - East and left or right.  For unobstructed lines there actually is miles of 2 track that can be enjoyed for this style of riding if actually needed.  Go for it.  It is there.  Have fun with it.  Just donít alter the trail experience for the rest of us.

If this message doesnít pertain to you than please ignore it.  If it does - let it go man - ride trails within your ability.

Thank you all for your understanding and supporting us in the trails that we offer in our area.

Garry

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Trail etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Would like to keep an eye out for this. Which specific trail(s) are being modified?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
Would like to keep an eye out for this. Which specific trail(s) are being modified?
Randy's Trail, Lower Spider Berm (but no alterations there lately), South West, Inner Loch Ness.  Some people even skipped the first half of Garry's Loop and the last section.  Really?  It's a short trail, just do it.  If ya' can't, come back when ya' can, but don't change it.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
strava sucks

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
Garry speaks true....if you can't ride it: either don't ride it or just walk it....
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »
i think i know the spot on randys trail. by the lakes. the short up and down in the trees. the line keeps changing. not sure how you like it garry but straight rode best in my opinion... 8)  have not noticed the others though.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »
Seriously - whoever you are you won't get any better by making things the way you want...  there are tons of miles available for you if you are unable to ride the more difficult sections out there.  Stop screwing things up for the MAJORITY of people who ride and respect the trails.

One of these days you're gonna get caught making your modifications save your self the hassle and stop while you're ahead.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:26 AM »

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
I was riding with a couple of friends yesterday, and going through Randy's I commented I liked the new line. A guy in front of us, who I don't know, overheard me and said he had made it. I thanked him for his effort when I now know I should have put a stick in his spokes :P

Offline Peresite70

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2015 Spec. S-WORKS Enduro, 2013 Spec. EVO Stumpy, 2013 Spec Demo-8
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:01:15 AM »
Yeah I noticed a few of the pirated lines that people have made out at Boyette this past Saturday... And I completely understand that I'd be a little pissed to if someone can go out there on their own, and carve these out who can't even come out and volunteer on a work day to help out when you guys have spent countless hours building these trails the way they already are... I'm sure you would be more up to their ideas on line changes if they actually came out and put some hours in themselves with you on a work day...

This same thing is going on out at Alafia as well... The new lines they made are actually not that bad, but it would have just been a little bit more respectful if they would have went and talked it over with Jeff to see what he thought about it, before they did so...  ;)
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
I was riding with a couple of friends yesterday, and going through Randy's I commented I liked the new line. A guy in front of us, who I don't know, overheard me and said he had made it. I thanked him for his effort when I now know I should have put a stick in his spokes :P

Straight easy lines like that one can be good- but so are lines that make you think, use your skills, build your skills, and challenge your ability to ride MTB.  Straight lines get boring, and there are miles of them out there if that is what one prefers. 

Maybe I'm just kind of a purist on mountain biking.  Or just irritated enough after putting in much thought, research of designs and how to make them work in our soils, and implement the time and labor into something to have someone come along and dismantle it.  ;-) 

I understand a racer (or wanna be) would like easy, fast, streamlined trails.  But not everything is designed for a race course.  Just be glad we don't live in North Shore!  LOL

Workdays are available for all to learn what we do and why much time and thought is put into the design.  Whoever it is should try to spend some sweat equity at that end before taking it upon themselves to change it.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
i think i know the spot on randys trail. by the lakes. the short up and down in the trees. the line keeps changing. not sure how you like it garry but straight rode best in my opinion... 8)  have not noticed the others though.

We changed that line sometime back because the erosion around the roots were just too much for a decent trail experience.  I like it with the little hook to it and I need to get in there and fix it so it is better with the maze of roots we encounter.  That fix is coming!  Sure, a straight line is "just roll through" but where is the challenge to that?  You are getting ready, at that point, to blast through some fun Lower Spider Berm that will challenge you at speed only to exit with a smile on your face!  :-)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
"I understand a racer (or wanna be) would like easy, fast, streamlined trails.  But not everything is designed for a race course.  Just be glad we don't live in North Shore!  LOL"

From a racer stand point -

Umm - none of the racers I know want straight simple crap to train on or race on, that's better left for road riding maybe.  Last race at Vortex was anything but straight and easy.  lets not start grouping folks into vague categories into which may assign blame and labels ;)
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
"I understand a racer (or wanna be) would like easy, fast, streamlined trails.  But not everything is designed for a race course.  Just be glad we don't live in North Shore!  LOL"

From a racer stand point -

Umm - none of the racers I know want straight simple crap to train on or race on, that's better left for road riding maybe.  Last race at Vortex was anything but straight and easy.  lets not start grouping folks into vague categories into which may assign blame and labels ;)

Good perspective.  Stabbing in the dark to figure why the line would be changed.  It doesn't serve a racers standpoint; it doesn't serve a challenge standpoint.

Offline Slowjenfizz

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Lust 1
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Have you posted a note on the trail about this?  Not everyone is a SWAMP member or hangs out here.  They may be totally clueless and thinking they're doing a good thing.

Advertisement: