Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: ain't nothing like a 100 miles  (Read 4452 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
ain't nothing like a 100 miles
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
Having ridden only 26 miles total over the past 30 days, I am going for the gold tomorrow by riding a century. This will be my first attempt at this benchmark for cyclists around the world. To keep papparazzi and onlookers away, the route is being kept confidential. For those about to ride, I salute you !!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: ain't nothing like a 100 miles
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »
Good luck there Mr.EllsRider...
I had planned to do close to a century tomorrow at the Withlacoochee Trail.  But I am now going to rest from biking and attempt less distance on Sunday.  The benchmark already set by one of our very own here is 108 miles.  So that is what some of us are driving to accomplish soon to top her.  Yes is was Janice who did 108 in one ride not to long ago.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »
Thanks mr. Sandpine. i do not imply that it will be a record of any sorts but it is for roadies like earning a rite of passage, a sort of notch on the belt. Rumor has it I will be at withlacoochee. this cannot be confirmed though. heading out at first light.

Side note; and this is why the papparazzi cannot be tipped off; I will be breaking in a new set of bibs.
(first pair for me) 

Congrats to Janice on that ride by the way !!!!     ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:38:46 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »
I did 104 late last summer. If you've ever done San Felesco IMO San Felesco is just a bit tougher. Oddly it took about the same amount of time though.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »
Are you guys doing this on mountain bikes or road bikes? Or mountain bikes on the road?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
they are talking about doing a 100 mile road ride on road bikes.  i believe the talk about San Felasco is about the 50 mile Off Road Endurance Race. done on a mountain bike in January... one of the three 50 milers alot of folks in the club try and do..

San Felasco  Hard
IDIDARIDE Moderate
Croom Hardest.

-Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »
if croom was the hardest, i am going to try the others this year...allthough croom i just did the 35..i think an extra 15 would have killed me at that time

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:32:31 PM »
they are talking about doing a 100 mile road ride on road bikes.  i believe the talk about San Felasco is about the 50 mile Off Road Endurance Race. done on a mountain bike in January... one of the three 50 milers alot of folks in the club try and do..

San Felasco  Hard
IDIDARIDE Moderate
Croom Hardest.

-Bob

Who wants to do a 100 mile off road?  Wilderness Trails is like 25 if you do everything.  Four laps around and there's your 100.  Each trip through Trout Creek parking treat like a SAG.  Takers?

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »
Say when... I'm in definately..  ;D  We could try this week or weekend..!!!

That would be alot of fun. If we can set up a decent course we may be able to turn it into a big ride for the club... Lets give it a whirl then see if others would be interested in setting something up like the Croom 50 or something..

We could call it the Flatwoods Offroad Century... or something way more clever that you'd definately be able to come up with Garry..  :D  But seriously that would be fun and a big challenge..

-Bob  ;D

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 03:41:28 PM »
I think it would be fun too, and probably could work it in as an event to SPEAK of!  Who needs to drive to another state to do an off road century.  Let them come to us...hahaha...Could even make it as a "pick up check point markers" to keep people honest if it were to be an event.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »
I think it would be fun too, and probably could work it in as an event to SPEAK of!  Who needs to drive to another state to do an off road century.  Let them come to us...hahaha...Could even make it as a "pick up check point markers" to keep people honest if it were to be an event.

I think that is an excellent idea, there are far to many temptations for shortcuts on that trail. But we should try and put something together.

-Bob  :D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
Who wants to do a 100 mile off road?  Wilderness Trails is like 25 if you do everything.  Four laps around and there's your 100.  Each trip through Trout Creek parking treat like a SAG.  Takers?
Count me in!!! I tried 2-21 miles from Bruce B. Downs before, but aborted when it rained on the second lap (maybe with other riders it will be more interesting).

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
I did the San Felasco ride this past winter. It was a blast. The sag stops definitely help. It was good to ride new trails also. Next year I might try to do all three, San Felasco, Croom, and another one up around ainseville somewhere, by some river or something like that.

Doing a hundred at Flatwoods would be do-able. Alot harder than riding on the road. 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »

I did it !!!

Slowfatguy ......................104 miles , awesome!!

Janice ........................108 miles, inspirational !!!!!

Ellsrider.......................111.11 miles !!!!  Hows that for getting off the couch!  Tough ride out there, miles 75 -95 were starting to put
                                                         some pain on me. Had to beat Janice. Nothing personal, it was just the current mark to beat.
                                                         Went for 110 ended up just over 110 so put some frostin' on that baby and scored the extra
                                                         mile! Just to make it that much tougher for the next shaylock who wants some of this cake! 

Averaged 16.7  and was on the saddle for just over 6.50 hours.  Total time was from 6.55 am to 2.30 pm. Several stops for the bathroom and water, had lunch in Floral City at the Shamrock Inn at mile 75 approx.  Saw a lot of wild turkeys and rabbits. Glad I did it. Now we need some rain to make the trails better.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
Ditto.. sorry sandpine that puts me in the lead for miles. sweet... :o

Advertisement: