Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: NEXT bike  (Read 653 times)

Offline LTDB

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia.
  • My Bike: Giant Trance 29er
NEXT bike
« on: June 08, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
Hoping to get some input from you all.

My son purchased a NeXT power climber bike recently and wants to go out to Alafia and ride. My question is, does anyone have any experience with this type of bike on the trails? Is it a safe and reliable starter MTB for a 10 year old? I tried the search, and nothing comes up anywhere.

Obviously if he sticks with it and likes riding we will upgrade it.

Thanks in advance.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk, y'all.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: NEXT bike
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »
They aren't know for being high quality. Would prob be safe for the real easy smooth stuff.

Offline LTDB

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
They aren't know for being high quality. Would prob be safe for the real easy smooth stuff.

Cool, thank you. That's kinda what I was figuring. Ill make sure everything is nice and tight.

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2008 GT Force, 2012 Redline 29er
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
That Next bike is not really suitable for the trails at Alafia, it will fall apart quickly. What it is good for is getting out there, riding the green (beginner) trails and deciding if this is a sport you want to spend some $ on. Use that bike to ride around and see what our trails are like, just don't spend money repairing it. Look on here and Craigslist for a good deal on a few year old high end bike for a fraction of the cost.

Offline LTDB

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
That Next bike is not really suitable for the trails at Alafia, it will fall apart quickly. What it is good for is getting out there, riding the green (beginner) trails and deciding if this is a sport you want to spend some $ on. Use that bike to ride around and see what our trails are like, just don't spend money repairing it. Look on here and Craigslist for a good deal on a few year old high end bike for a fraction of the cost.

Sounds like a plan. I've been looking, but like you said, I want to make sure the kids enjoy it as much as we do.

Thanks.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
Kid bikes are tough because they grow out of them so fast -- hard to make an investment for such a short period. That being said, I suspect there is nothing unsafe about that bike. Will it break and leave you stranded in the woods? I'd bet on it. The great thing about Alafia is that you are never too far from the trailhead. Take him out there, let him beat it up. Then once he breaks it, figure out if he likes it enough to buy something nice. Something I might do is offer to pay him to participate in trail work days. Then match him dollar for dollar towards a new bike. The only thing better than a new bike is a new bike you actually bought and paid for with your own money.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »
The next won't hold up well.  They are made for neighborhoods and just banging around.  Craigslist always has some deal showing up now and again...like this one ----> http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bid/3853379547.html

It is an easy resell too if your kid doesn't want to stick with it or does and outgrows it.

Offline LTDB

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
The next won't hold up well.  They are made for neighborhoods and just banging around.  Craigslist always has some deal showing up now and again...like this one ----> http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bid/3853379547.html

It is an easy resell too if your kid doesn't want to stick with it or does and outgrows it.

I contacted that guy, and he never replies.

Advertisement: