Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail Conditions - Alafia, Balm, WTA?  (Read 808 times)

Offline JeffX264

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - this week!?
  • My Bike: '13 Giant Trance X1 29er
Trail Conditions - Alafia, Balm, WTA?
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
With the long weekend coming up, I wanted to do some riding, but the recent rain has me wondering what's left out there.  I've heard rumors that Balm Boyette is washed out (?).  Any first hand observations of that or Alafia or Morris Bridge (WTA)??

Offline Jeff White

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Re: Trail Conditions - Alafia, Balm, WTA?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
Alafia's trail drainage is in great shape. The afternoon thundershowers quickly flow off the trails.
Please wait 24hrs after a rain to ride the "high clay content" of MoonScape and GatorBack. Enjoy.

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2008 GT Force, 2012 Redline 29er
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jeff. I was hoping for this info, and I will stay off of the clay, of course. I know everyone loves berms, bridges and TTFs, but the work that is done maintaining drains, adding new ones and reroutes for better trail sustainability,while not exciting, is key to keeping the trails rideable, especially during the wet season. Thanks Jeff  !

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
Balm-Boyette is open for riding.  Ridgeline is closed (seasonal trail) because of the erosion to it's straight ups and downs.  The exit is rutted out and a few places of standing water. 

Everything else (20 miles worth) is open and rideable.  With that said all the rain that we have had it does take a day or so for it to drain or permeate into the ground, so be mindful of soft spots that don't heal so well.  I rode out there Sunday and the rest of the trails were in great shape.

Offline JeffX264

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - this week!?
  • My Bike: '13 Giant Trance X1 29er
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »
We rode WTA - Morris Bridge today.  It's the closest to my house.  I knew it might be muddy, but WOW it's MUDDY!  Everything was passable except one section.  On the west end of the Flatwoods paved loop where the Main trail crosses, just west of the paved crossing, there is a huge lake covering the trail.  We were able to go back to the paving and go around the water and get back on the trail.  I wouldn't recommend riding the Main Trail for a while.  I haven't been there much, so I didn't know what to expect, but now I do!

On a side note, I rode up on some deer, and after slowing way down, I got within about 10 feet of a doe before she took off.  I was surprised she let me get that close.  I was careful because I didn't know if she was going to charge me.

Have fun!

Advertisement: