Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Observation - Golf Cart Entrance - Boyette Scrubs  (Read 1006 times)

Offline James Smith

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Lock Ness, Upper & Lower Spider Berm, Golf Cart, Sidewinder
  • My Bike: 2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 29'r 2
Observation - Golf Cart Entrance - Boyette Scrubs
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
I'm a bit concerned and wanted to share my thoughts on this beginning section of Golf Cart.  I stalled on the climb at this section of the trail two weeks ago, didn't get unclipped in time and fell to the left on a tree stump and fractured 3 ribs, 7th through 9th on my left side. I am currently healing but unable to ride since, due to doctors orders. I've made this climb dozens of times before, although at great effort to me, (62 yrs old).  The thing is; this part of the trail is "not" indicative to the entire rest of Golf Cart in my opinion and may keep others from enjoying the easier parts due to the skill needed to complete this entrance.  Would it be possible to either re-open the entrance coming from the connecting conduit from Upper Spider Berm and Randy's Trail or make this entrance easier?  As I stated, I've made this climb many times before but possibly due to fatigue (which sometimes we ignore) this fall ended my ride from that day to the present.  Would hate to see anyone else suffer a similar type injury..... it really sucks!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
Re: Observation - Golf Cart Entrance - Boyette Scrubs
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:57:25 PM »
Sorry you got hurt. . . I know the feeling. This trail is not indicative of the rest of the Golf Cart trail, because a GIANT SINKHOLE opened up there creating the large drop/climb that the trail maintenance crew had to fix to make it rideable again.  http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php?topic=7900.0

They did the best they could to fix it up. I really like the climb, but I could see why on an intermediate trail, some would not.  There used to be the cut around to the backside of Gator Pit that was a pretty easy cut through at the time to avoid the Sinkhole portion. Not sure if that is still "open" though.  If not, just dismount and Hike a Bike if you feel it is too sketchy after the crash.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:12:32 PM by dcluley »
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Luke

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »
There is an alternate entrance that will skip the drop in and climb you're speaking of.  As a beginner to barely-intermediate rider I opted not to attempt the climb you're speaking of.  Sure, we'll blame it on fatigue  ;D

You can see in this map where I took the drop in then chickened out and hiked back up the drop, went 20 yards or so back out and found an alternate entrance on the left into the trail.

Offline James Smith

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Lock Ness, Upper & Lower Spider Berm, Golf Cart, Sidewinder
  • My Bike: 2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 29'r 2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:32 AM »
There is an alternate entrance that will skip the drop in and climb you're speaking of.  As a beginner to barely-intermediate rider I opted not to attempt the climb you're speaking of.  Sure, we'll blame it on fatigue  ;D

You can see in this map where I took the drop in then chickened out and hiked back up the drop, went 20 yards or so back out and found an alternate entrance on the left into the trail.

Good point.  That's probably what I'll do when I can get back out there.  I realize the regular trail guys are busy and do a very good job so I really wouldn't want them to change something others enjoy.  BTW, that stump I fell on broke loose from the bottom/dirt area as I was trying to get myself untangled from my bike so it's probably just remnants there anyway.  Would've only had a bruise or two if it hadn't been in that spot.  Probably only a B- rider at best myself but sometimes I tend to let a good challenge get the better of me... heh.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Purp
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Last time I was out you could still use the temporary entrance that was done back when they were waiting for the sink hole to finish doing its thing. Not sure if that is still around or if they blocked it and let it overgrow back again.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=8750.msg75512#msg75512 date=1378203148
I'm a bit concerned and wanted to share my thoughts on this beginning section of Golf Cart.  I stalled on the climb at this section of the trail two weeks ago, didn't get unclipped in time and fell to the left on a tree stump and fractured 3 ribs, 7th through 9th on my left side. I am currently healing but unable to ride since, due to doctors orders. I've made this climb dozens of times before, although at great effort to me, (62 yrs old).  The thing is; this part of the trail is "not" indicative to the entire rest of Golf Cart in my opinion and may keep others from enjoying the easier parts due to the skill needed to complete this entrance.  Would it be possible to either re-open the entrance coming from the connecting conduit from Upper Spider Berm and Randy's Trail or make this entrance easier?  As I stated, I've made this climb many times before but possibly due to fatigue (which sometimes we ignore) this fall ended my ride from that day to the present.  Would hate to see anyone else suffer a similar type injury..... it really sucks!

Thanks in advance!

First off sorry to hear that you have 3 broken ribs.  I know that hurts!  I'm healing from 8 broken ribs and torn rotator cuff, so I feel your pain.

The entrance to Golf Cart was changed due to a sinkhole.  There are two options in place to access Golf Cart though. 

1) Once you exit Gator Pit you simply drop into the new (added) entrance of Golf Cart that does include a climb - keep your speed up once you enter the curve at the bottom to roll right up the top. 

2) Is the old entrance just before the drop on your right prior to heading toward Gator Pit that the sinkhole caused.  There should be a sign there on your right.  So actually, at that point, Golf Cart is as it was pre-sinkhole except a short section along the edge of the sink.  What was added is an alternative entrance drop and climb once you exit Gator Pit.  You can still bypass that new entrance and enter at the top of the sinkhole where it originally was.  Hope this helps in the future.

Garry
SWAMP Boyette Trail Boss

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
...also that trail used to be a two way trail before the park got so popular, so there is a fairly experienced drop after the trail comes out into the open and drops back in that we used to make as a climb going the other direction.  After several head on collisions we opted to make Golf Cart a "one way" going out and did our best to connect trails together with very little open (two-track) riding.  Don't feel bad about not making that climb.  Plenty of people have broken bones on lesser sections of all trails.

Advertisement: