Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anyone ride the Mala Compra Trail?  (Read 396 times)

Offline sleighride

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Giant Trance
Anyone ride the Mala Compra Trail?
« on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
I am heading to St. Augustine for a long weekend in October, most for fishing, but I want to get some riding in.  After searching the Net, it appears the best and closest trails are Mala Compra and Graham Swamp.  Has anyone tried these trails?  If so, are either comparable to an Alafia or Boyette trail?  I am hoping for a ride similar to Northcreek or Sidewinder.  Most black diamonds are beyond my skill level right now.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
Re: Anyone ride the Mala Compra Trail?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
I rode both last year.  Mala Compra was short, with some fun hills and drops in the back, but not as good as alafia/balm. The regular stuff is pretty boring, and the Black diamond stuff didn't flow very well, but was challenging with tech and up-downs. The trails are really well marked with notice of upcoming Difficult Trail Features, so you can get a heads up to skip the hard stuff (harder than North Creek/Rollercoaster).

Graham swamp was pretty good, more sustained climbs than alafia and balm, but sandy in spots. It is similar to North Creek with more Climbing and Sand, and some options for hard stuff like drops, rock gardens, and some steep wood Bridges similar to the Fingers at Carter.

I would make the trip to Graham Swamp from Tampa again for something different.  I would not make the trip again just for Mala Compra.

Another park that was a bit of a drive from St. Augustine, but really fun for intermediates is Chuck Lennon Park in Deleon Springs, FL.  It's about an hour away from St. Augustine, but was more fun than Mala Compra.  If you are further south towards Palm Coast, I would check it out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:47:47 PM by dcluley »
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Peresite70

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2015 Spec. S-WORKS Enduro, 2013 Spec. EVO Stumpy, 2013 Spec Demo-8
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »
If your going to be in the area, then hit them up. They're both fun , but I would have to say Graham Swamp is the best outta the 2.
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
Both are good and within 10 minutes of each other.  Mala Compra is like 2 miles easy singletrack then a mile of fun tech stuff and then 2 more miles of easy singletrack (you can loop the tech section if you want).  Graham swamp is about 6 miles and has a ton of fun stuff but trail conditions can be iffy...the place can dry out and have a ton of sugar sand or it can be rolling perfect.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline sleighride

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Giant Trance
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  Very helpful.  I will post an update of the conditions and trails when I return.

Advertisement: