Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia rideable?  (Read 768 times)

Offline peterhsd1

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Rollercoaster
  • My Bike: Giant Anthem
Alafia rideable?
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »
With all the rain this late in the summer can anything in Alafia be ridden? Any of the other parks any better? Thanks.

Offline Jeff White

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Re: Alafia rideable?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:36 AM »
There is no place better at draining rain off the trails for immediate riding.  Only the steep, high clay Moonscape and Gatorback trails require 24hrs after a heavy rain.  Enjoy our volunteer efforts to keep you riding and smiling.  Jeff White (trail boss)

Offline Jason Peres

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2013 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper EVO, 2012 Giant Trance X1
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Rode there yesterday afternoon from 5:30 till 7:30. And the trails were actually drier then normal. They can actually take a pretty hard rain, and most of them be ride able not to long after.  ;)
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline peterhsd1

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Rollercoaster
  • My Bike: Giant Anthem
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
Good to know and that is impressive considering all of this rain. Caloosahatchee Regional Park down here is under 2 feet of water, don't know when it will be rideable. Sounds like it is time for a road trip!

Offline Ben Drawbaugh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »
The elevation combined with good trail drainage design are to thank. That being said, there are a few trails at Alafia (River loop and Rock Garden) that are flatter and don't drain as well. In fact there is one section of River Loop that has had a "Closed for Monsoon Season" sign on it for a long time.

If you drive up for a weekend, you should also stop by Balm Boyette. It is only about 3 miles from Alafia (as the crow flies) and most of it drains really well too. My favorite at Balm, Ridgeline, does not and is closed most of every Summer. The 2 mile ride from the parking lot to the trail head can also get really muddy, but there is still about 16 miles of single track that drains really well there.

Advertisement: