Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: disk brake service  (Read 420 times)

Offline MEOvermyer

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Brown County State Park
disk brake service
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
My brakes are squeaky and super annoying. There appears to be a decent amount of pad left. Also, there is a definite grab in both, which I assume means the rotors are not straight. Is there such thing as rotor re-surfacing (like vehicles) or is it time to replace? Thanks

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: disk brake service
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
Clean off the brake rotors with brake cleaner, hit it with sandpaper on both sides, then clean again. You could also rough up the pads a bit to deglaze them. Should do the trick, just bed them in correctly.

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:57:04 AM »
Clean off the brake rotors with brake cleaner, hit it with sandpaper on both sides, then clean again. You could also rough up the pads a bit to deglaze them. Should do the trick, just bed them in correctly.

Alan speaks true, use a fine grit metal sand paper and use a crisscross type pattern.  For the pad use a light grit paper on a flat surface with even pressure.  To season the rotors you will want to basically work the rotors very hard, it has a lot to do with heat and deposits but not important here.  So sprint for a bit then grab a fist full of the front or rear brake.  Alternate and repeat until good and seasoned.  You will notice that the braking force will increase a bit with each run, when it levels out you're done.  Don't just light grab the brakes and ride around, you will cause more squeals.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline MEOvermyer

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Brown County State Park
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:53:11 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Advertisement: