Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Croom trails  (Read 765 times)

Offline Grumpytroll

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: none
  • My Bike: Next
Croom trails
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
Thinking about going to Croom this weekend can anyone tell me how sandy these trails are. Will be my first time there, and which trails have the most elevation changes or hills.

Online JasonS

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Dakota Ridge - Red Rocks Trail, Golden CO
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
Re: Croom trails
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
My favorite section is the North end of the blue loop from the 8 mile bail out and North. Karate Monkey and Lefty looser have some good elevation changes and there is a bmx jump area that is a lot of fun. Could be kind of sandy since we haven't had much rain lately but nothing that should scare you away. Watch out for banana spiders though. I took a 6 incher for a 100 yrd ride last time on a big downhill. Not fun.

Online JasonS

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Dakota Ridge - Red Rocks Trail, Golden CO
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Make sure to bring a map. The trails can be kind of confusing. Bring a lot of water too, as far as I know there is only one place to refill and, depending on where you decide to ride, it can take a while to get there. Oh, after your ride Do Not Post how awesome it was (it will be), best part about croom is that few people ride there. You will see lots of wildlife. Speaking of wildlife, make sure it is not hunting season before you go, I know it is soon.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I've been to Croom a few times this year and have not found it sandy. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Either way, yes a map is a great idea, as is an understanding of how the fire roads are labeled (evens runs east-west, odds run north-south). If you have a truck you can drive the fire roads to the technical sections and miss the miles of flowy singletrack. You can also ride the paved rail-to-trail path and go straight to the NE corner, where most of them are. The sections with names are the technicaly challenging and ones with the elevation change. The only really fun section that doesn't have a name is just north west of the 14 mile bailout, lots of elevation that leads to long descents (for Florida) and pumps (from when they used to let motocross race there).

I haven't ridden every trail in peninsular Florida, but I bet that Croom as the most elevation change of any of them.

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »
1st off Croom is in great shape....BUT.......I'd probably avoid it this weekend.  Today through Sunday is the special quota muzzleloader hunt out there so there will be plenty of hunters out there.  Then November 2-24 is general deer season out there.  I ride croom a LOT as it's only 5 miles away from my door but I usually avoid it when the bullets are flying. 

Offline Grumpytroll

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: none
  • My Bike: Next
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »
Thanks for info where can I pick up an up to date map

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
Thanks for info where can I pick up an up to date map
You can find trail maps in the TRAILS section on this site.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
Did you end up going? Was thinking about making the trek, wanted an update on trial conditions.

Advertisement: