Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New 29er brake help  (Read 362 times)

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
New 29er brake help
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
Just picked up my first 29er, and first real decent mountain bike.  I've raced dirtbikes my whole life, so it was an easy transition.  It is a used 2013 mamba, and the brakes feel mushy and don't lock up the wheel like my buddy's stock hardrock.  His front brake feels a lot better than mine.  I've worked on brakes with dirtbikes, so I'm thinking there could just be air in the lines.  My question is, is it okay to mix brands of brake fluid?  Idk what kind is in it.  I was going to take off the reservoir cap and top it off, pump the lever slowly for like 5 mins, top it off again and hope she works better. 

Also, he gave me an extra orbea carbon bars, but they are shorter than stock.  Could I clamp my grips on not all the way pushed onto the bars to make it a little longer?  Like put the grips 3/4 the way on and clamp them nice and tight to get a little more length,  I grip on the inside most part of the grip, so I don't see why it'd hurt, but thought it was worth asking before I do it.  Also are those bars a lot better than stock? 

Thanks guys!

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: New 29er brake help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
if its a new bike, could be as simple as "bedding" the new pads and rotors
searching through this thread could help  http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/bedding-new-rotors-647208.html

if they are used, you could need a bleed. most brake fluid should work fine, unless the brakes are shimano as they use minerial oil instead.

good luck

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
It's used. They are Hayes Dyno it says on them.  So just pick up some brake fluid from walmart or something?

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
I mean they work decent, just don't lock up like my buddy's hardrock. 

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
its really hard to tell if its gunked up pads and glazed rotors or if they need a bleed, bleeding wont hurt..a quick google search says hayes uses dot 4 fluid, so any brand will do. you might want to try using alcohol on the rotors, and lightly sand/scuff the pads, then clean with alcohol and "re-bed" them also or first .

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Cool thanks!  What do you think about the bars? Worth switching out or no?

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
Probably a bad idea on switching bars and clamping down the grip with some hanging over. The extra leverage might be the amount of force needed to crack the bar leaving you face first on the trail. That said, plenty of people do it without issue. Be sure to use a torque wrench on the clamps and stem so you don't over tighten them and crush the bar if you decide to give it a try.

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
Gotcha.  Thanks guys!

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
So, I just burped my rear brake and its worse now.  The lever pulls back to the bars now.  I think i got more air into the cables.  Craaaaaap. 

Advertisement: