Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Riding boyette alone? I should be good?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline kc1296426

• First Bike
Riding boyette alone? I should be good?
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »
Boyette always gave me a "sketchy" feeling when I'm out there by myself. No one is out there except bikers right? And a phone is good enough to have? Thanks.

Also, is riding in 2nd gear (for the bigger chain gears) is good right for uphills and most of the park right?

Thank you!!

Offline sleighride

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Giant Trance
Re: Riding boyette alone? I should be good?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:34:37 PM »
I often ride there alone (at some pretty unpopular times too) but have never had a problem.  On rare occasions I have seen someone in or around the parking lot that was not a biker/hiker, so I try to stick around to keep my eye on them.  If you are not referring to 2 legged sketchiness, there are bobcats, gators, snakes and hogs out there, but they mostly want to stay out of your way.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
Never had a problem out there riding alone.  The parking lot is the sketchy part when everyone is out on the trail and some unscrupulous douchebag pilfers the cars.  Don't leave behind that you don't want to lose - that goes for every trailhead parking lot every where.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
I have ridden many times at Balm alone, but it's always a good idea to tell somebody where you are going and how long you expect to be out, and call them afterwards.  If they don't get that call, tell them to call you.  Serious accidents can happen, doing this could save your life (watch the movie 127 hours!).
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
Also, If you ride alone, definitely take more water, all the tools/tubes/kit, etc. you need, and a map that won't get destroyed.  It's at least a 2 mile hike out.
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
Also, If you ride alone, definitely take more water, all the tools/tubes/kit, etc. you need, and a map that won't get destroyed.  It's at least a 2 mile hike out.

Last time I walked out it was a bit farther in - more like 5 miles!  Be prepared, let someone know where you'll be as dcluley posted.

Offline kc1296426

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
Thank you guys alot. Swamp is always great, you guys are really friendly.

I guess the feeling i got was "sketchy vibes" because I dont know what is out in the forest lol, but maybe thats just me being paranoid or thinking it was an indian burial ground lol.

Also, when riding, should i be openly looking to see where my pedals are so I dont have them bit the ground or should i not even be concerned about that?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:30 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=8862.msg75949#msg75949 date=1387464371
Thank you guys alot. Swamp is always great, you guys are really friendly.

I guess the feeling i got was "sketchy vibes" because I dont know what is out in the forest lol, but maybe thats just me being paranoid or thinking it was an indian burial ground lol.

Also, when riding, should i be openly looking to see where my pedals are so I dont have them bit the ground or should i not even be concerned about that?

Pretty much the normal forest or wooded animals - alligator, bobcat, hog, deer, raccoon, snakes, armadillo, even Florida panther sightings some years back.  Pretty much everything doesn't want anything to do with you, but non the less you should always treat wildlife with a respectful distance.  Your Camelback is your go-to-bag.  Water, trailside repair, flat repair, snacks, cellphone for emergency.

Offline Yggum

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
I've been out to BB 4x by myself, and every time I've seen other bikers and felt totally safe. My perspective is that the most important thing is to know your limits and when to back off. Today I started South Abyss and bailed out after two drops. It was still damp, and I know I'm not in shape yet.

I haven't come across any trail features that took me by surprise, so I didn't feel at risk there. The hike out would be difficult if you, say, had a broken ankle. What do people do when things like this happen?

BTW thank you to the young man that asked me today if I was lost. I was at Marker 5 catching my breath. I've had a great time so far, and felt totally safe, but then again I'm not burning up the trails. I've watched plenty of youtube vids, and I can't believe the speed some of you guys hit these trails. If you're going to ride like that, yes, go with a group.

I haven't had any wildlife issues -- I think common sense would prevail IE don't try to bunny hop a snake.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
"...I haven't come across any trail features that took me by surprise, so I didn't feel at risk there. The hike out would be difficult if you, say, had a broken ankle. What do people do when things like this happen?..."

Bring a cell phone with you or ride with a buddy.  (Backpackers carry a whistle.)

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
I have ridden out there alone before, but some of the drops sketch me out too. I think I always think back to the guy who was killed out at Carter Park a while back riding alone. Anything can happen. I like to ride Ridgeline when I am fresh; don't like doing it after I have been riding the inner trails for a while. I have learned that bringing a chain tool and an extra link is invaluable on this trail. I have busted a derailleur and had to shorten my chain to fixie it out of the park. Cell phone is a must, and a tube. Lots of water during the warmer months (some areas are exposed with little to no shade). Like the others say, let someone know where you're going and when you think you'll be home. Cell service is spotty out in some areas-especially if your phone is older. I had to call 911 for a dehydrated biker out there before, and it took them a good 45 minutes to make their way out because the GPS was not connecting properly to get an accurate fix. It was giving the lat and long of the nearest cell tower; not my actual position. I carry a handheld GPS now, and that gives me a dead-on accurate position to relay to the rescue personnel.
The weekends are usually busy enough that there is help out there not too far behind. But to always rely on others to help you is not a good practice. Always be prepared to effect a self-rescue.

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Trek GF Marlin 1x10
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
I haven't had any wildlife issues -- I think common sense would prevail IE don't try to bunny hop a snake.
I've done that.  :-[
I have learned that bringing a chain tool and an extra link is invaluable on this trail. I have busted a derailleur and had to shorten my chain to fixie it out of the park.
Did that a few weeks ago too. Walked a good couple of miles before finding someone with pliers.

I don't like riding Boyette alone. Rather go to Alafia if I'm riding solo.

Advertisement: