Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Boyette v. Alafia  (Read 4497 times)

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
Boyette v. Alafia
« on: May 30, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »
I accept the fact that the real answer to this question is for me to to go to Alafia and see for myself, but, I have ridden Boyette a few times now and really enjoy the Lochness system and upper Abyss.  Haven't tried Pandemonium yet.  I know that Alafia is THE place to ride locally, but I've always been reluctant to go because of stories of injuries, etc. and have always thought it's beyond my skill level.  So, can one compare Abyss to anything at Alafia?  Just looking for comparisons so I know better about what to expect.  Thanks.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Boyette v. Alafia
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »
i prefer boyette actually

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:00:59 PM »
What injuries????!! LOL!

They are really very different places, I love Alafia, but I really like Boyette.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 05:10:35 PM »
Some of the trails at Boyette are about the same as Alafia.  Abyss IMO, is as difficult as the whoops on Bridges, or Rollercoaster.  Moonscape is harder, I still walk several sections.  Randy's Loop is a little harder, as long as you take the bail-out to the right.  As far as injuries, both places has had their share.

Kenny
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »
My neighbor works with a guy named Art who had to be medi-vac'd out of Alafia a year or 2 ago, and I know of another guy who broke his pelvis at Alafia and then there's this guy who broke his leg on Rabbit Ears, etc (Sorry Gregg).  Somewhat intimidating sh*t to the guy who's never been there.  But then again so was Abyss the first time I saw it and now I love it.  Also, it sounds like a lot less traffic at Boyette, another reason for the newbie to go there.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
I suggest you try Alafia during a club ride, usually the 3rd Sunday of the month if you can.  That way you can ride the trails with whatever group you pick (A, B or C) and have someone around to pick up any pieces if necessary.  Better to try it with a group than to go alone.  The changes MUCH are greater that you will need someone around to pick you up if you start out with the A or B- group.

My suggestion?  Go with the 'C' group.  They don't do all the trails, stop a lot and no one in the group will care how well or not you do.  Once you get a taste of the park then ride with the B or B- group.

That's the best way to decide between the two trails.  That or attend the November Fat Tire Festival where rides to BOTH parks on the same day from the same location are possible.  (that happens only once per year)
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »
Alafia was the first trail system I rode. North Creek Trail was the first trail I rode.

If you are comfortable riding at Boyette, then I highly suggest you ride at Alafia. You should be more than competant enough to handle the "Green Circle" and "Blue Square" trails. You could probably handle Rollercoaster as well.

I would recomend walking the "optional" sections of these trails first. Some of the options are very difficult, while others simply favor someone who knows what is over the next hill, around the next bend, etc.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:22 PM »
Yeah, don't let my screw up keep you from experiencing some really cool trails. Alafia, as Kevan said does have a wide variety of trials ranging from very easy to not so easy to "what in the hell am I thinking about" . Heck, I know a guy who broke his wrist on the easiest trails in all of the systems that we ride (Sandpine). You can get hurt riding around in front of your house.
Speaking from the perspective of someone who spent 3 months on the couch. LIFE IS TOO SHORT! Get out to Alafia and try it. Like Riskeverything said, you can take it incrementally at your pace.

Just my thoughts.

Gregg

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 10:28:53 PM »
Perchman and eveyrone else reading this post,
If you can make it tomorrow (Thursday) we will be there at 5:30pm on the Alafia parking lot.  There is a group of about 10 of us riding every Thursday now.  Thursday's ride for us is more like lets work on specific section of trails and build up our technical skills.  More experienced riders help those less experienced.  We do sections of trail that give one or more riders dificulties.  We all go to it and encorage that rider(s) to do it over and over until they get it.  While trying to keep them safe of course.

As others have said here, if you can ride all of the Abyss and Pandemonium at Boyette, then you should have no problem with green, blue, and single black diamond trails.  Leave the double black dimonds alone for now.

Take it from me... as my nickname will tell you... You don't have to be riding a dificult trail to get injured!!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:31:26 PM by MrSandPine »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »
LOL!

I didn't say it was you...Marcel.

I will probably be out there tomorrow with Mike.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 11:10:43 PM »
I love Alafaia. It is fun and an overall incredible place. It's easy to get to and has great facilities. That being said, Boyette is my favorite. I like the flow and feel there. Also it seems to do better in the different seasons. Not too sandy and not too wet. Please enlighten me as to where "Randy's Loop" is.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 11:50:54 PM »
Dang I wish I had the self control you guys do. My first time to Alafia I nearly killed myself on RollerCoaster(or atleast it felt like it), but thats ok cause I bounce really well. After a few times there I moved up to trying to kill myself on Rollercoaster and moonscape. I'm still working on the later but after a year I've pretty much got Rollercoaster down.

That being said, I like all 4 parks for what they are.... ok, not so much the wilderness park. That was just my quick fix favorite, but now I'm closer to Croom and really enjoying it there.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:53:38 PM by CrazyWhiteGuy »
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 11:59:51 PM »
...Please enlighten me as to where "Randy's Loop" is.

Kenny,
You mentioned "Randy's Loop" and a bail out to the right.  I also don't know what you mean.  There is a "Randy's Trail" at boyette which is not maked that way in all maps.  It is at the west side of spiderberm and it sort of connects innerlock ness with spider berm. But there is no bail out and it is not a difficult trail.  The roots by the tree next to the lake used to be very tough.  But someone cut them down unecessarily months ago.

Offline ROCKgardener

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • TEAM MUTANT
    • echo-lab studio (MYSPACE)
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »
i think each park offers something unique....

Alafia = rock garden, bridges, roller coaster, north creek....short loops...good trail maintenance ... nice people...

Boyette = no entry fee...fast trails... long loops... 2 mile warm up.....meadows, all the ness's..great terrain.. i have enjoyed EVERYTHING about boyette....... besides the wretched SST trail..... does SST stand for Soft Sand Terrain??
Soft Soft Turd???  LOL just kidding

i think each park is a gem in its own.....

***looking at what i have written*****

looks like i prefer boyette... LOL
just ride the drop.....go fast...if anything gets in your way...TURN!

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 02:42:28 PM »
I had a blond moment, it is not Randy's Loop, but Frank's Loop.  Randy's Trail is at Boyette.  Frank's and Shelly's Loops are at Alafia.

Kenny
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Advertisement: