Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: No more shifting gears- I might not be riding for a while  (Read 1586 times)

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
No more shifting gears- I might not be riding for a while
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
The transmission in my truck is shot. Highly annoying, considering I spent last summer swapping this tranmission into the truck in favor of a weaker model. It appears that the syncros have broken, which requires a rebuild to repair. As I cannot afford to pay someone to rebuild the transmission I'll be doing it myself, which means it will take a while, and I won't be able to bike as often.

I've been planning on replacing the axles and suspension in June, and have all the parts assembled to do so. The truck will be pretty much a body with an engine in it, sitting on jackstands in my driveway, (to the great annoyance of my neighbors) for about a month or so ::)

This is what I get for selling my "spare" Jeeps. Now I have no back-up vehicle, save the bike!
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: No more shifting gears- I might not be riding for a while
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:15:27 PM »
 That s%$#^ !!!! What kind of truck?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »
that sucks, the only experience Ive had with replacing transmissions when our tranny in our RV died just outside of Joshua Tree. 3 generations of Hattons spent 2 days on our backs fixing it on a dirt road in front of a friends house. Still, depending on how big the transmission is, it shouldn't take you a month.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:31:14 AM »
Thats funny !! Nothing like  a motorhome breaking down to  bring a family together !!    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:40 PM »
It's a 1989 Jeep Comanche, with a '97 engine from a Cherokee, '94 transmission from a Wrangler (YJ), and transfer-case from a '97 Wrangler (TJ). Got a custom hydraulic clutch setup....

I've been replacing major components for a while now, but this is the first time I've had something I put in need to come back out :-[ My best friend is coming over tomorrow and we're going to pull the trans and pop it open to see how much damage has been done...

I was hoping to buy a RV (or share a house or apartment) and move to Lakeland or Brandon this summer. I need to get closer to school (in Lakeland) and I need to find a job (which is easier to do in Brandon). Brandon-to-Lakeland is only a 26 minute drive- sure beats the 75 minute drive I have now!

Plus I'll be a mere stone's throw away from all the good trails ;D

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »
Sounds like a tank. If you move closer you will save 100 a month in gasoline! Good luck!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:37:46 AM »
oh, ok, so your running the 4 liter inline 6 then I take it. I had alway heard that those things last forever cause they are a low compression engine. I'm planning on my first car being a Cherokee, how many miles does your Comanche have on it?
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 07:28:50 AM »
The 4.0L is NOT a low compression engine. It has 8.5:1 compression, I believe, which is pretty much the same as every car that can run 87 octane.

I believe a previous owner abused this truck a bit, because the original engine died around 110k miles. My mechanic was shocked. One of the pistons had cracked- a freak occurance, he said. It happened half-way to Ocala (I'm in Bradenton), and it ran the rest of the way to Ocala, and back, on only 5 cylinders. The 4.0Ls last a long time because they are a neutrally balanced engine- they don't vibrate like a V-shaped engine would. Also, they have more bearings on the crankshaft than a V-shaped engine. The 4.0L has 7 main bearings where most V-8s only have 5!

My other pickup (which now belongs to someone in Ocala) has the 4.2L in it. That has somewhere around 300,000+ miles and, while it has the bare minimum oil pressure, it still runs strong. The previous owner figured that he would just run it as long as it held out and then rebuild it when it finally died. Over a decade later it was still running when he sold it to me. I decided to put money away for a new engine when that one died... and years later I sold it with the engine still running just fine- it wouldn't die! It's not like we took it easy on the engine, either... it is a 4x4 Jeep truck, after all!

Anyhow- regarding Cherokees, get a '93-99, as those are the best years for them. The Cherokee (XJ) is one of the best vehicles ever built, an extremely versatile design. Not terrific gas mileage though....

Advertisement: