Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New to the area, need tire recommendations  (Read 580 times)

Offline CPFitness

• First Bike
New to the area, need tire recommendations
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »
Hey everyone, new to the area and been out to Wilderness park a few times and ridden with the group a couple of times.  I'm a MTB newb from NYC but the trails up there are nothing like Wilderness park.  I had my massive heavy knobby 2.3 tire on the front and I just swapped it out for a much more XC friendly tire yesterday and what a difference in my speed on the trails.  But now I want to go explore some of the other trails (probably going to check out Boyette today in advance of the group ride on sunday)  Will I be okay on these XC tires (specifically they are GEAX Mezcals 2.1", not the most popular or well known tire out there but they have been okay for me) at a place like Boyette or Alafia?   Additional info, I'm 6'3" 250 and I'm riding a Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy Hardtail (some of you may know who I am, the bike is bright orange, hard to miss it!)   

Thanks for any help you can provide

Offline Dirt Diggler

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
Re: New to the area, need tire recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:14 AM »
I'm 200+, on a hardtail, too--I run a 2.35 Rocket Ron in the front and a 2.1 Icon in the rear (due to clearance issues.) I'd run 2.35s front and rear if I could. I've ridden Boyette on 2.0s, it's okay. I think it's probably going to come down to personal preference and riding style--I like a higher volume, softer tire wherever possible, generally speaking.

Offline CPFitness

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
I'm 200+, on a hardtail, too--I run a 2.35 Rocket Ron in the front and a 2.1 Icon in the rear (due to clearance issues.) I'd run 2.35s front and rear if I could. I've ridden Boyette on 2.0s, it's okay. I think it's probably going to come down to personal preference and riding style--I like a higher volume, softer tire wherever possible, generally speaking.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a perfect tire for me, the GEAX Sturdy's were great up north because we have lots of rocky trails that like to try and gash your tires but they are boat anchors.  These look like they will give me the volume and cushion of the sturdy's at the same weight as the mezcals i'm riding.  I'm wondering if I will have clearance problems on the rear of my yelli.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
RR seem to run narrow, at least the smaller sized ones do.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
So far the best tire I've found is the Michelin Wild Grip'R 2 but the Mezcals will be just fine.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:28:04 AM »
I was running Aspens f/r but found myself washing out a good bit. Switched to Racing Ralphs and stick like glue.

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:49:02 AM »
Im using racing ralphs front and rear with SS on my hardtail. Also using Nobby Nic and racing ralph on rear for my full suspension. Im in the 250lb area and both work great to me on all our trails.

Advertisement: