Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Old Man Cycling  (Read 279 times)

Offline Takos

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Balm- Boyette
  • My Bike: (Frankenbike) Iron Horse Quantum frame- Lots of other parts too.
Old Man Cycling
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:10:43 PM »
First off, thanks to the person/persons who removed the tree from the South East trail. You guys keep the trails in great shape.

Ya know...

I started riding the bike in late 2012 on a 10 year old department store bike.  After trashing it, I started building a bike piece by piece. With two active daughters the house (volleyball and music), dad's priorities get put on the back burner.  Thus, frankenbike was created bit by bit. She is not the most beautiful or fanciest, but she has not broken on me yet...

Being 48 years old and letting myself go, I have a lot of repair to do to myself to get back into shape.  Now I have taken my available Saturday mornings for a quick trip to Balm-Boyette with plans to be back home by 10 am.  So far it has been working.

My first trip was about 6 miles and considering the trip in and out, that is not much trail time.  And on that trip, I believe I was wheezing my way back to the truck only to get home and pass out in my chair.

Now yesterday, 11.4 miles (according to my Map my Ride) at 7.8 mph and still had enough energy to take daughter #1 to Winter Jam last night.  Makes me happy. And I had to do it without water breaks as I broke my bottle cage at Alafia New Years Day and forgot to fix it so I had to leave my water in the truck (remembered that when I went to put my water bottle on the bike yesterday). 

48 years, old 300+lbs and the cardio of Jabba the Hutt.

I know I will never shred like most of the guys here, but I want to encourage you old, out of shape farts like me to get back out there and continue to chip away.

Sorry for the rambling, but I just thought I would post.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
Re: Old Man Cycling
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
55 here, started mtb while racing motorcycles back in 1984.
Other than time off from injuries have not stopped.

Key: ride as much as possible, eat less and walk the parts of the trail
that might cause you to get hurt as recovery takes longer for us older
riders, especially when spare parts are needed to fix us.

Congratts on finding the will to ride!
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Online JasonS

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Dakota Ridge - Red Rocks Trail, Golden CO
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
The best part of mountain biking is it can be whatever you want it to be. From a simple cardio workout to an adrenaline filled thrill ride. Don't ride over your head and remember rest days can be just as important as riding. Congrats on your effort.

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
Amen Takos!!! :)

Advertisement: