Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: brake issue  (Read 541 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
brake issue
« on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
My LBS wants to bleed the front brake on a Stumpjumper because the mechanics say there's too much fluid in the line. They want to bleed it to create more space between the calipers. Does this make sense? The brakes have been fine for two years. The rotor got bent in a recent crash. I thought replacing the rotor would fix it but the mechanics say bleeding it is required. Plus they want to bleed the back brake to make the pull on the levers even. My LBS does much more work on road bikes than mtn bikes, but I don't have many other options close to where I live.  Thoughts?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: brake issue
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »
My LBS wants to bleed the front brake on a Stumpjumper because the mechanics say there's too much fluid in the line. They want to bleed it to create more space between the calipers. Does this make sense? The brakes have been fine for two years. The rotor got bent in a recent crash. I thought replacing the rotor would fix it but the mechanics say bleeding it is required. Plus they want to bleed the back brake to make the pull on the levers even. My LBS does much more work on road bikes than mtn bikes, but I don't have many other options close to where I live.  Thoughts?
Well, you don't want air in the line - so too much fluid?  The calipers should be self setting unless a sticking caliper or bent rotor?

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »
Hey Garry - The rotor is bent, but they are saying that even replacing it with a new one will require a line bleed because the calipers are too close together. They said the calipers are too close together because "there is too much fluid in the line." That didn't make sense to me.

Besides the fluid comment, I thought separating calipers was a fairly easy process, especially for a bike shop. 

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
My understanding of all things mechanical is pretty basic, but there can't be too much fluid in the line unless somebody went out of their way to force it in there. As best I understand it, brake fluid compresses very little if at all, so the line can either be full or have air in it. Air compresses a lot and makes the brakes mushy and ineffective. If the brakes were working before it isn't an issue of overfilling.

If the rotor is bent it obviously needs replaced or straightened. You may also be due for a brake bleed for a reason besides too much fluid in the line, so the bleed may help. I'd be suspect of your shop though, and I would either do the bleed myself or find one of the many reputable LBS to do it.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
Hey Garry - The rotor is bent, but they are saying that even replacing it with a new one will require a line bleed because the calipers are too close together. They said the calipers are too close together because "there is too much fluid in the line." That didn't make sense to me.

Besides the fluid comment, I thought separating calipers was a fairly easy process, especially for a bike shop.
Yea, doesn't sound right.  I would take it elsewhere.  Is 4th St. and 12th Ave. N. convenient for you?  St. Pete Bike and Fitness can fix you up.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
bike mechanic is not rocket surgery... the caliper will adjust itself after you replace the rotor...  8)

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
Too much brake fluid in the line........now that there is funny 8)   I agree look for a new LBS.

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Trek GF Marlin 1x10
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Too much brake fluid in the line........now that there is funny 8)   I agree look for a new LBS.

Agreed. I mean unless the lever doesn't move at all and the caliper is seized around the rotor or something. Sounds like crazy talk to me.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
As they said above, there can't be "too much fluid" in the line.  There can be "too much air" in the line, and that would require bleeding the line.  Your mechanic is either an idiot or trying to sell you on something that you don't need done.  You need to adjust your caliper alignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7I6qlSsGds

Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Ejreyes6

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Niner Jet 9 RDO
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:22:21 AM »
Let me guess avid brakes? On several occasions I've seen avid brakes start to drag, and no it wasn't a caliper alignment issue. The piston just won't retract fully, maybe moisture somehow enters the system. If the brakes are indeed avids.  Loosen the torx plug at the lever while using a wedge to fully retract the pistons and tighten immediately. You will see excessive fluid flow out, Make sure you wipe up all fluid. Brake fluid is very corrosive.
 Some may say bull*, but this has worked for me.

E

Offline aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • AAROWN
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
Avid brakes are garbage. If my friends Elixers sit out in the sun and get to hot the pistons push out and don't retract. He literally iced the calipers down and worked again.

Offline topgunner212002

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: boyette scrub preserve
  • My Bike: trek Xcaliber 6
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 02:25:48 PM »
I may be on the new side of mtb but I know brake systems very well, it is not bleeding you need, its simply opening your caliper pads enough to allow for the new rotor, friction obviously creates wear, same set up as your car, in fact the same fluid used in your car can easily go into your bike brake system, simply put all you have to do is open your reservoir, and take a flat tip screw driver and attempt to open the pads slowly and if they do not move then you may have to replace that caliper, you do not bleed a system unless you replace a component such as a caliper or a brake line.

Advertisement: