Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: MTB trail riders are awesome! Story inside - Boyette today...  (Read 771 times)

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2011 Trek GF Marlin 1x10
MTB trail riders are awesome! Story inside - Boyette today...
« on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
Was riding Boyette today hitting up the blue trails: Nessies, Spider Berms, and got to Gator Pit where I suffered a catastrophic failure.  Some moss and needles got caught up in my chain, cage, and cassette and completed seized my drivetrain. The chain locking and my peddling caused my rear derailleur to completely twist/bend and snap clean in two. My buddy who I was with walked out with me and we came across the first group of helpful riders.

They offered their assistance and with their help we were able to remove my derailleur. Unfortunately, they didn't have pliers so I couldn't open up my reusable master link. I ended up walking about a mile and although many people asked, which was the absolute best part, nobody had the tools I needed. And of course being a complete idiot I had neither my own tools nor a spare master link. Both conveniently left at home right where I figured I wouldn't forget them.

With about 1.5 miles to go to get out, a couple of guys stopped and had what I needed! Pliers (Leatherman), and the same multi that I (typically) carry: Topeak Alien II. We were able to separate the master link, shorten my chain, adjust my chain stay, and get my bike into riding condition. I didn't get their names, but I'll never forget their faces. And I will absolutely pay it forward the next chance that I get.

THANKS EVERYONE! If you read this anyway.

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
Re: MTB trail riders are awesome! Story inside - Boyette today...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
There is a trick to opening the master link without pliers, I have yet to be able to do it, but the guy on youtube makes it look easy. I guess you still would of needed a chain tool to shorten it though.

I have been leaving my tube and tool behind at Boyette more and more, going to stop that as of right now.

Offline AScoda

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • Favorite Trail: The next one
  • My Bike: Cannondale trio-29er HT, Scalpel 29, CAAD 10
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:17 PM »
Drive train failure today for me also.  1/3 ish way into Gatorback at Alafia, on a benign flat area, just lost pedal.  I thought I dropped the chain, but derailleur hanger was snapped in half.  Must have already been damaged and just gave way;  had no wipeouts, wasn't shifting or hammering, just pedaling over some roots.   Walked it back off of Gatorback, then dropped seat all the way down and strider-ed it back to the car.   :P

Glad you were able to make it out ok.  That's a long walk out of Boyette.

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »
Been there, done that! I snapped a derailleur in half on Ridgeline once and busted another one out west on Thunder Mountain trail. Now I always carry pliers, SRAM links, spare rivets and a chain tool. I was almost 5 miles into the ride at Thunder Mountain, and had to head back in fixed gear...would have been a crappy walk, for sure.
As for the SRAM powerlinks, you have to squeeze them and collapse the chain on either side to get them to pop off. It takes practice, so it's always good to get a feel for it at home by repeatedly and occasionally removing your chain to clean it.
Always carry the chain tool and an extra Powerlink, because if you lose a derailleur, you may have to shorten the chain in order for you to be in a comfortable gear to ride out of where you are. You still have to pop the rivet out of another chain section in order to install the Powerlink properly.
Mountain bikers are the most friendly bunch of peeps I know. They always stop to help when they see someone sitting on the side of the trail.

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
Been there, done that! I snapped a derailleur in half on Ridgeline once and busted another one out west on Thunder Mountain trail. Now I always carry pliers, SRAM links, spare rivets and a chain tool. I was almost 5 miles into the ride at Thunder Mountain, and had to head back in fixed gear...would have been a crappy walk, for sure.
As for the SRAM powerlinks, you have to squeeze them and collapse the chain on either side to get them to pop off. It takes practice, so it's always good to get a feel for it at home by repeatedly and occasionally removing your chain to clean it.
Always carry the chain tool and an extra Powerlink, because if you lose a derailleur, you may have to shorten the chain in order for you to be in a comfortable gear to ride out of where you are. You still have to pop the rivet out of another chain section in order to install the Powerlink properly.
Mountain bikers are the most friendly bunch of peeps I know. They always stop to help when they see someone sitting on the side of the trail.
What type of pliers do you carry? I've been looking for some but have been unable to find anything small enough to carry in my saddle bag.

Offline rich67

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
I just carry a Leatherman tool. It has a pair of needlenose that work well for anything. Plus it has some other stuff you may need if you go biking off the grid (I go out west a lot and some of the trails are remote). If your pack/saddlebag is too small to carry a pair of pliers, then it's time to step up to a hydration system. I bought a really nice Oakley Code Red pack that has a large water bladder and has multiple pockets that I carry a spare tube Leatherman, Allen key set, inflator, and tire patches/levers. Still has room for my cell phone, a long sleeve shirt if needed, and my keys and a GPS unit (I also carry a handheld Garmin Oregon if I head waaaay out).  Call it overkill. When I ride locally, I just ditch the Garmin. But I carry all that other stuff all the time. Do you carry water?

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:13 AM »
I just carry a Leatherman tool. It has a pair of needlenose that work well for anything. Plus it has some other stuff you may need if you go biking off the grid (I go out west a lot and some of the trails are remote). If your pack/saddlebag is too small to carry a pair of pliers, then it's time to step up to a hydration system. I bought a really nice Oakley Code Red pack that has a large water bladder and has multiple pockets that I carry a spare tube Leatherman, Allen key set, inflator, and tire patches/levers. Still has room for my cell phone, a long sleeve shirt if needed, and my keys and a GPS unit (I also carry a handheld Garmin Oregon if I head waaaay out).  Call it overkill. When I ride locally, I just ditch the Garmin. But I carry all that other stuff all the time. Do you carry water?
I do. I stick to bottles as much as I can but use a hydration pack when I need to, which is mainly in the warmer months. I can ride Boyette with two bottles when it's cooler out. My Camelbak has plenty of storage and carrying my Leatherman in it is a great idea. It's very hard to separate a master link with needle nose though. I have a KMC chain, not sure if their links are tougher than others. At the end of the day though if I'm really desperate I can cut the chain and use a spare new link. Great suggestions on the items that you carry! Thanks

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »
Good job Steve

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
Good job Steve
Someone else in this thread named Steve or do I know you?

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
If you have a vampire last name I am stalking you, mwah hah hah hahaha ha!!!!! >:D

Offline Steve Cullen

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
If you have a vampire last name I am stalking you, mwah hah hah hahaha ha!!!!! >:D
LOL I'm officially creeped out. Who are you?

Advertisement: