Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Avid 5 rsl stuck pistons  (Read 355 times)

Offline JasonS

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Dakota Ridge - Red Rocks Trail, Golden CO
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
Avid 5 rsl stuck pistons
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
Went to go for a quick ride yesterday and my rear brakes were dragging so bad the tire would barely turn. The pistons are not retracting and the lever pull feels quite strange. I know this can happen if you remove the wheel and squeeze the lever but I never had my wheel off and I didn't notice any drag last weekend on my last ride. I tried pushing them back in but they would not stay. Any suggestions?

Offline Dirt Diggler

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
Re: Avid 5 rsl stuck pistons
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »
Bleed a little out of them at the calipers. I might try a silicon-based lube on the pistons, too. Mine suck too, especially in the mud.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Avid 5 rsl stuck pistons
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
Went to go for a quick ride yesterday and my rear brakes were dragging so bad the tire would barely turn. The pistons are not retracting and the lever pull feels quite strange. I know this can happen if you remove the wheel and squeeze the lever but I never had my wheel off and I didn't notice any drag last weekend on my last ride. I tried pushing them back in but they would not stay. Any suggestions?

Did you ride in or after the rain?  Water and mud can cause moving metals parts to seize up in a few days.  Use a brake tool or large flathead screw driver wrapped in a rag or something that WON'T scratch the surface of the piston and work it free.  Might have to put a little mineral oil on the edge of the pistons.

Advertisement: