Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Spring Break Trip  (Read 677 times)

Offline chibiker

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
Spring Break Trip
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
Hello, I am taking a trip with my wife and kids from IL to Bradenton during the week of March 31-April 4.  It looks like we will be about one hour away from the Alafia trail system.  I hope to take a trip out to ride the trails one day and I have a couple of questions. 
Are the trails in good condition this time of year & is there a trail conditions page that I can check to confirm the day of? 
Is there a place close to the trails to rent a decent mtb? 
We are driving so we do plan on bringing bikes, but will likely be my old ss kid hauler & my wife's Scott hardtail (which will work in a pinch).   
Any advice for an out of towner would be appreciated and I look forward to checking out your trail system. 
Thank you.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
Re: Spring Break Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »
Are the trails in good condition this time of year & is there a trail conditions page that I can check to confirm the day of?

Trails are awesome just before rainy season.  Trail conditions here to announce closures:http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php?board=35.0] [url]http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php?board=35.0[/url]
Assume it is ok as long as there are no posts up there.

Is there a place close to the trails to rent a decent mtb? 
AJs is closest: http://ajsbikesandboards.com/

We are driving so we do plan on bringing bikes, but will likely be my old ss kid hauler & my wife's Scott hardtail (which will work in a pinch). 
Either one would be fine for easy trails at alafia, but watch out on Moonscape or Gatorback.

Any advice for an out of towner would be appreciated and I look forward to checking out your trail system. 
Go to Balm Boyette also.  A couple miles west of Alafia, but no amenities other than a port-a-potty. . . Ride Ridgeline at Balm. . . Best trail in the area!

Thank you.
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline chibiker

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »
Thank you for the info dcluley.
I saw AJs mentioned in another post, but it looks to be out of the way from Bradenton and I hope to get as much ride time as possible so will probably just ride the Scott(leaving the wife & kids behind for the day without a car, so will see how that all works out).
How much time should I anticipate to get in a good ride at Alafia, hitting most of the blue/black trails?  What about adding on a ride at Balm Boyette?
I saw some suggested routes posted on another thread in here, looks like I should study up on those before heading out.
Looking forward...

Offline chibiker

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:55:17 PM »
Also it does not look like there is much at all around Alafia, so are there are any options of things for the wife and kids to do around there if they drop me off to ride?  Let me know if any suggestions on that one, but doesn't look too good.  Kids are 2.5 and under, so a hike won't be good.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
There is a nice park about 4 miles north of Alafia named alderman ford. Nice stroller path and playground. Other than that, not much.

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
Alafia has a small kiddy  playground and and shelter perfect for your kids ages. Could keep them occupied for 2 hrs or so and you could drop in on them between trails.

Offline topgunner212002

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: boyette scrub preserve
  • My Bike: trek Xcaliber 6
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »
Bradenton has a few things going almost every weekend car shows are really big right now there are a few festivals fairs and events to that nature here. I work here in Bradenton on Saturdays

Offline chibiker

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:07 PM »
Thank you all, this is good information to have.  Now I just need to plead my case to the boss that this is a good way to spend one day of vacation.  Also I gave AJs a call and it looks like they may be a decent option as opposed to dragging bikes along.  I will try to post up in the event I make it out to see if anyone else will be riding and wants to point me in the right direction on the trails.

Offline chibiker

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »
Hey guys I made it out to ride the Alafia trails last Wednesday and had a blast.  I was surprised at how similar the trails were to some of the local options around Chicago (esp. Saw Wee Kee, on an old strip mine along the Fox river).  Everything worked out well with the bike rental at AJs and the wife/kids were kept occupied at the park as well.  I got stuck on the green loop for the first part of my ride, before ducking off and finding some of the tough stuff, but all of the trails were a lot of fun nonetheless.  Look forward to the next trip out to ride again and try Balm Boynette. 
Check out CAMBr.org if you are ever in Northern Illinois and loking to ride. 
Thanks again for all of the helpful advice.

Advertisement: