Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My Bike was stolen today!  (Read 795 times)

Offline Matt

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
My Bike was stolen today!
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Hello,

I am brand new to Tampa, I haven't even had a chance to get to a trail yet and my bike has been stolen.  Please keep a look out for it, this happened while I was at work today.  It is a Fuji Tahoe 29er with a Reba Fork, Juicy Ultimate Brakes, Sram XO Components.

Thank you,

Matt

Offline BTroll

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
Re: My Bike was stolen today!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Where was it stolen? Sorry about the luck man, hopefully it pops up.

Keep an eye on craigslist/pawn shops.

Offline Matt

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »
The bike was stolen from the screened in patio of my home that is under the roof of the house and surrounded by walls and windows on three sides.  I live in Riverview in the Canterbury Lakes neighborhood very close to my office at Bright House on Falkenburg Rd, we just moved in at the beginning of May.

Whomever stole it probably has no idea that the bike is made up of a few thousand dollars in parts, they will probably sell it for a hundred bucks.

I will be sure to watch Craigslist and the local pawn shops, the police report and the insurance claim have been filed.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »

Whomever stole it probably has no idea that the bike is made up of a few thousand dollars in parts, they will probably sell it for a hundred bucks.

A few Thousand? i'll be keep an eye out also... :)

Offline Peresite70

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2015 Spec. S-WORKS Enduro, 2013 Spec. EVO Stumpy, 2013 Spec Demo-8
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59:34 AM »
Sorry for your loss man!! Hopefully they're dumb enough to try and take it out to Alafia or Boyette and someone from here notices it!! I would hate to have bike with just a few K in parts alone stolen from me.  >:(
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »
The bike was stolen from the screened in patio of my home that is under the roof of the house and surrounded by walls and windows on three sides.  I live in Riverview in the Canterbury Lakes neighborhood very close to my office at Bright House on Falkenburg Rd, we just moved in at the beginning of May.

I will be sure to watch Craigslist and the local pawn shops, the police report and the insurance claim have been filed.

Set up Google Alerts with info from the bike and you'll be able to track it if anyone is going to use the webs to sell it.
http://www.google.com/alerts

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
That sucks man, more then likely it was some punk kids who wanted to take a short cut like they do around my area and got lucky. They hop over walls and a couple of times i come home finding my fence wide open.  Hope you find it good luck!

Offline Matt

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
Thank you all!  I will check out google alerts tonight.

I added up all of my parts today and it came to just over $3,800.  That made me sick to my stomach.

I have a question for you guys; are single speed mountain bikes popular for the trails in Florida?  I am from St. Louis, MO and we had very long climbs up to a mile or so at a time maybe longer depending on the trail so the extra gears came in handy.  I am trying to plan my next bike as I am dying to check out the Florida trails and I was thinking about changing it up this time around.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
Don't see too many single speed bikes out on the trails these days. Huge increase probably 4-5 years ago but seems many went back to gears.

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
I have a mono i believe its a factory 32t up front and I changed it to a 20t cog in the back. I can do ridgeline, and Im fat and slow.

Offline Matt

• Non Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
I believe that I have decided on a bike, the Motobecane Fly Team 29 Titanium.  I can't find a better deal on a bike equipped similarly to previous bike.

One take away is to make sure that you thoroughly document your bikes by taking pictures of all your parts (when they are clean).  I sent my insurance company a list of my parts and the lowest price I could find them for online.  They responded and offered to pay over $1,000 more than I had submitted as a replacement cost.  Had I not taken pictures last year I would be out of luck right now since I did not have receipts.

I should be able to hit the Florida trails for the first time in about 7-10 days!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
That is a lot of bike for the money. Glad it all worked out in the end.

Advertisement: