Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Is my thinking right?  (Read 349 times)

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
Is my thinking right?
« on: August 09, 2014, 12:09:03 AM »
I bought a new bike from the LBS the first week of July.

Two to three weeks later, I brought it in for a component upgrade, and to get rid of the horrible "creaking" I was hearing. I picked it up 4 days later.

Two weeks after that, I brought it back, as the noise was still there. I left it for another four days. Problem solved. It is great now, and I have no problems. But they charged me.

Now, it was not a lot of money, and I think it was a very reasonable fee for what was done. But, should a brand new bike cause me to spend money to make it right? Twice? Even the kid who cashed me out, who blamed it on the assembly, to which I said, "You assembled it", and he responded with, "The factory did that part", and again, I said, "So the factory warranty means nothing then?".

Plainly put,

Should I have paid for the pivots of a brand new FS bike to be greased/lubricated, or should that have been done before the bike leaves the shop?

Offline Osco

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • I fall well
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette, All of It :P
  • My Bike: Scott Spark 760
Re: Is my thinking right?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »
I would have given them the option to make it right and told them if they do not I will
leave the bike there and do a charge back for the whole bike amount....

And politely reminded them that the KID said, "It was not my fault and a bad factory assembly"

And I also would have politely reminded them that I will spread the word far and wide,
about how this particular LBS handles this kind of problem.

You could go back down there now and give them this choice, take the bike with you.... 8)
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."-
Mark Twain

Offline Osco

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • I fall well
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette, All of It :P
  • My Bike: Scott Spark 760
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »
Or suck it up as a lesson If you love the bike and find another LBS to spend your future funds at,,,,

IF you do this and NOT give them a chance to make you happy you should not 'spread the word' about the deal..
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."-
Mark Twain

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
Even the kid who cashed me out...
Based on your location and the suggested age of the employee I think I know the shop you're talking about. I've had some issues in the past, but lately the shop I am thinking of has provided great service to me.

My suggestion is to speak to the manager regarding the problem. I am assuming that giving away free labor, even if you're entitled to it, isn't within the authority of the shop employee. If they can't work with you I would suggest another shop.

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
The shop I previously worked at would never have charged you.  Also, if it was a factory problem I guarantee that the owner/rep would've had the factory on the phone to let them know.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Jeffrey Haager

• Bucket List: #1 Have Fun, #2 Refer to #1
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia River State Park - Roller Coaster/Derailed
  • My Bike: Specialized 29" Camber
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
   Other day I got a Creek in my Bike as well, sounded like Metal Rubbing like it had cracked, I looked all over my Bike, Took it to AJ's Turned out it was my Back Wheel needed to be tightened more, No more sounds, this may not help you but cant hurt to check, hope it helps.
I Try to ride 2-3 Days a Week, also Like Kayaking, Paintball & Any Kind of Games.

*Swamp Club Member

Advertisement: