Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Boyette parking  (Read 1022 times)

Offline SHANO

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: SANTOS-BALM-MARKHAM-ALAFIA-LOYCE-TSALI
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XCT Team
Boyette parking
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
I'm not bitchin', just curious. I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy. I don't mess with the bunny trails when riding anywhere. I like to dive right into the good stuff (Ridgeline, Pandamonium, Abyss'). That being said, I'm sure there is a reason why the parking area at Boyette is 2 miles from the actual trails. Like the old Alafia parking area. Why can't the parking area be past the house in an open area farther down the service road.
Again, not complaining just curious. I can hang. I just catch myself nodding off on my way to Lock Ness.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Re: Boyette parking
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »
County rules prevent public vehicles past the gate.

SWAMP and the county have been working on an alternate parking lot.

If all things continue well, construction may begin some time in 2015.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline SHANO

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: SANTOS-BALM-MARKHAM-ALAFIA-LOYCE-TSALI
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XCT Team
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »
Sounds awesome, thank you for the speedy response.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »
County rules prevent public vehicles past the gate.

SWAMP and the county have been working on an alternate parking lot.

If all things continue well, construction may begin some time in 2015.
Actually, Ross the land manager said it would be about 24 months from this month.  Some new trail changes too!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:44:02 PM »
I'm not bitchin', just curious. I'm a meat and potatoes kinda guy. I don't mess with the bunny trails when riding anywhere. I like to dive right into the good stuff (Ridgeline, Pandamonium, Abyss'). That being said, I'm sure there is a reason why the parking area at Boyette is 2 miles from the actual trails. Like the old Alafia parking area. Why can't the parking area be past the house in an open area farther down the service road.
Again, not complaining just curious. I can hang. I just catch myself nodding off on my way to Lock Ness.
Balm-Boyette is a Nature Preserve, therefore has different rules mainly dealing with trying to maintain a natural habitat  with ELAPP property.  (Environmental Land Acquisition Program).  There is no way to provide parking "inside" the Preserve and maintain a balance of habitat and recreational use.  One of the reason as long time Trail Boss that I never tried to overdo the signage out there.  Strategically placed trail signs and trails hidden from view gave the place somewhat of that natural feel to it.  (Bring a map!)  SST is a single track trail that helps offset a little bit the 2 mile ride to Loch Ness.  Once the new parking lot is put in (about 24 months from now) it will be a much shorter distance to the actual trails.  And good trail layout always has the harder, more technical trails, farthest away from the trailhead.  The trails leading out to the more technical trails are fun at speed!  Makes them less boring.  ;-)

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »
According to the turnout at the public meeting the other week, I am one of few who actually enjoy, and don't mind, the 8-9 minute ride in and out.

I am afraid of what will happen to the trails once access becomes more convenient to the people that won't ride there now, because of the length of fire road. Weekends will be like Alafia. Dogs, hikers, kids on leashes, and strollers, all walking down ridgeline and south abyss.

Offline Drew!

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • Favorite Trail: The next one
  • My Bike: Cannondale trio-29er HT, Scalpel 29, CAAD 10
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Prominent signage with the location of the hiking trails west of  Balm-Boyette Rd that bikes are not allowed on should help alleviate that.
"Safe, bike-free hiking here....don't get run over!  You know what jerks those mountain bikers are.  Go somewhere else."

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »
According to the turnout at the public meeting the other week, I am one of few who actually enjoy, and don't mind, the 8-9 minute ride in and out.

I am afraid of what will happen to the trails once access becomes more convenient to the people that won't ride there now, because of the length of fire road. Weekends will be like Alafia. Dogs, hikers, kids on leashes, and strollers, all walking down ridgeline and south abyss.
It is supposed to be understood that the trails are Mountain Bike Trails.  Two-track is anything goes - runners, walkers, dogs on 6 ft leash, bicyclists - but NO HORSES.  We should probably have dialogue with the Land Managers about runners on the MTB trails.  Carnage waiting to happen.

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »
Agreed, flying down spider berm going 15 miles an hour and running into a trail runner in the other direction would be pretty serious.  Probably should put a giant sign at the new trailhead explaining the rules and highlighting the double track-only rule while pointing out the fancy hiking facility down the road on the other side of the preserve. 

I think this new trailhead will work out great overall once we all get used to it. Still more remote than Alafia, and the location will promote a stacked loop system with green quads, woods trail, and meadow intermediates closer to the trailhead and Abyss and Ridgeline still somewhat furthest away. I will miss the two track, but will probably ride the quads more as a warm-up or cool-down. I'd like the trailhead to be as remote as possible and much more primitive than Alafia still, other than better parking.  If you want to have a picnic and go straight to some blacks for fast laps, go to Alafia, if you want to go ride in the woods for miles and enjoy nature, go to Balm.  The spirit of each should stay the same as it's own niche to keep our double-whammy of MTB jewels intact. Everyone hates change, but it will turn out fine I'm sure.
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline Drew!

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • Favorite Trail: The next one
  • My Bike: Cannondale trio-29er HT, Scalpel 29, CAAD 10
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 07:12:09 AM »
There are so many other trails around the area that bikes are not allowed on.  Would be nice if the hikers and runners would stick to them. 
I have come across runners on the bike trails at Croom where there are hiking only trails in the same place.  I have run across a couple of girls running at Boyette by canyon/mt Boyette and one guy way out on east meadow.  Oddly, though, even with it's easy access, I've never found a non-biker on the bike trails at Alafia. 

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
Free the trails, I have no problem with multiuse. To bad the hiking crowd doen'nt share my sentiment >:(

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
There are so many other trails around the area that bikes are not allowed on.  Would be nice if the hikers and runners would stick to them. 
I have come across runners on the bike trails at Croom where there are hiking only trails in the same place.  I have run across a couple of girls running at Boyette by canyon/mt Boyette and one guy way out on east meadow.  Oddly, though, even with it's easy access, I've never found a non-biker on the bike trails at Alafia.

Alafia was busy on Saturday. I ran into hikers on bridges and moonscape. This was the first time for moonscape, but I have seen hikers on bridges plenty of times.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
Agreed, flying down spider berm going 15 miles an hour and running into a trail runner in the other direction would be pretty serious.  Probably should put a giant sign at the new trailhead explaining the rules and highlighting the double track-only rule while pointing out the fancy hiking facility down the road on the other side of the preserve. 

I think this new trailhead will work out great overall once we all get used to it. Still more remote than Alafia, and the location will promote a stacked loop system with green quads, woods trail, and meadow intermediates closer to the trailhead and Abyss and Ridgeline still somewhat furthest away. I will miss the two track, but will probably ride the quads more as a warm-up or cool-down. I'd like the trailhead to be as remote as possible and much more primitive than Alafia still, other than better parking.  If you want to have a picnic and go straight to some blacks for fast laps, go to Alafia, if you want to go ride in the woods for miles and enjoy nature, go to Balm.  The spirit of each should stay the same as it's own niche to keep our double-whammy of MTB jewels intact. Everyone hates change, but it will turn out fine I'm sure.
I really like the remote feeling of Boyette, and a little work to gain access to the actual trails is part of that.  One of the rare spots in our near Tampa Bay area that has that remote, almost wilderness feel to it.  One of the reasons I don't like "over signage" out there.  Take just a little adventure in your life! Bring a map and get lost, only to find your way home again.  Croom and Boyette rock that way.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
A simple sign that indicates the trails are bike only should suffice. I see them on biking trails at Alafia and the few times I have stopped to talk, they were clueless that they weren't on the hiking trail -- perhaps the organized races on the mountain bike trails add to the confusion.

I know the plans are up in the air, but could someone share the coordinates of where the new parking lot might. I'd also be interested in learning which trails we might lose from Balm.

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 09:05:11 AM »

I know the plans are up in the air, but could someone share the coordinates of where the new parking lot might. I'd also be interested in learning which trails we might lose from Balm.

The lot will be on 672, about a quarter mile east of the UF complex.

Advertisement: