Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: HEADS UP - TRAIL CHANGE  (Read 989 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
HEADS UP - TRAIL CHANGE
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
Spider Berm at Boyette as of today has changed direction. 

Enter from the Bridge area on Randy's Trail and go around the lake counter-clockwise (headed East).

When you reach the old lower trail you can either follow the exit sign up and out or continue on Old Lower Spider Berm and exit where we used to enter. 

From there either you can head over to Gator Pit or whip around and hit the Old Upper Spider Berm headed East and then head over to Canyon and Abyss.  Makes sense, right?  :-)

Offline Hunter

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
Re: HEADS UP - TRAIL CHANGE
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
I appreciate the new trail adding on to lower Spiderberm.  That being said, I really liked riding those trails in the direction we used to ride them. Coming out of South Abyss, it makes sense to first ride upper berm the way it used to go, and then turn around and ride lower berm back, into the new section, and out by Randy's trail.  I would be curious to know other people's opinion as to the best directions for those trails, and whether there is a general desire to change the directions back to their original directions.

Thanks for all the hard work!   

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:34:11 PM »
Garry,

You asked last night in the SB, but I had only ridden it in this direction once, so I figured I would wait until I had another ride in. I think LSB rides more enjoyable and better (not easier) the former direction. The original LSB is now pretty much a coasting trail. It seems like only one small climb, and the rest of the elevation rises are very gentle. I also think that USB is now going to be ridden little. There is no reason to do it, unless you are shortcutting out to Abyss/Pandemonium/Ridgeline and skipping G-pit and G-cart. At least on my short rides, I would get out to N Abyss, come back S Abyss and Big Drop, and then head back in on USB over to Randys trail. Now, to do that ride, I have to end up doubling up on the original LSB to come in, and never hit USB. I would guess that people who do 10 or 12 mile rides and don't do the blacks back in that corner would end up leaving Canyon, and heading back in the same way.

I will ride it either direction. I just think it is a more fun ride, and better flowing on the trail system as a whole, running it clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

Offline Drew!

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • Favorite Trail: The next one
  • My Bike: Cannondale trio-29er HT, Scalpel 29, CAAD 10
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
I have ridden the new trail, but not the other two in the new direction. 
No matter which direction they go, one will get skipped most likely by those going through golf cart.  Personally, if I were to skip one, USB would be my choice.  It's a nice trail for ripping through the trees and far better than the two track, but it's pretty much a straight, flat trail.
Reversing them essentially gives us 3 new trails.  I support the change. 
Just my 2 cents

Offline Dcluley

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Trying to stay on this side of the bars. . .
    • HTFU
  • Favorite Trail: Balm
  • My Bike: 2000 GT Zaskar Retro Rocket; 2010 Pivot Mach 4 Stealth Bomber
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
I said my opinion before; I think it flows better the old way (clockwise) to hook up with other trails in the system.  I have not ridden it yet the opposite way, so I will reserve judgement until I give it a shot.  Either way, thanks for the new trail, and we will get used to it whichever direction it ends up. From what you stated before, Garry, there are going to be some substantial changes at Balm-Boyette coming up, so the whole trail system can get re-evaluated in a couple of years when that occurs.
Smite me fondly

HTFU

Offline BTroll

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
Girlfriend rode it today and preferred it the old way.

I've ridden the extension but not in the new direction. I will judge it once I get some rides in. I did like the rocky drop in to start the backside of the lake.

Offline Steven Ramsden

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Camber Evo
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:12 PM »
Rode the new trail 4x this weekend.  Big change.  Blind tight corners, fast rollers and the reverse of the old LSB got more challenging.  Good work!

I do think that with this direction and flow, USB will be used much less. 

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Rode the new trail 4x this weekend.  Big change.  Blind tight corners, fast rollers and the reverse of the old LSB got more challenging.  Good work!

I do think that with this direction and flow, USB will be used much less.

I know, sadly USB appears to be getting phased out or just lightly used.  Ideally I would like to see it kept in the mix and darting across to Golf Cart where that drop is and head West to Gator Pit, then build a new lower East bound Golf Cart back to the drop in order to pick up existing Golf Cart East to Mt. Boyette.  But that is just me.  :-/

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:56 AM »
Change the direction of golf cart, it rides better east to west(or so I am told :)) that would make usb more relevant.

Offline BTroll

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:52 AM »
Got a ride in on it this weekend. As of right now, im not a fan of the direction change. Just isn't as fast/enjoyable. Not going to complain too much, still going to ride it.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »
I'll ride all the new trails although USB will be phased out with the new direction. It just leads to nowhere unless you want another lap on LSB. I like to ride boyette as one big trail. You can flow from front to back thru greens, blues, blacks, etc without overlapping. Some people just ride straight to RC and nothing else, so maybe they will use it some....

I like the new spider berm and looks like some new additions coming soon to it.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »
I'll ride all the new trails although USB will be phased out with the new direction. It just leads to nowhere unless you want another lap on LSB. I like to ride boyette as one big trail. You can flow from front to back thru greens, blues, blacks, etc without overlapping. Some people just ride straight to RC and nothing else, so maybe they will use it some....

I like the new spider berm and looks like some new additions coming soon to it.
I prefer riding Boyette as one big trail also.  Makes for an epic adventure to experience all of the different aspects of the whole trail system.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
The volunteers have done an unbelievable job out there. Ive been riding out there for 12+ years and am always amazed how it continually improves. That being said, I also much preferred the old direction for UPB. It was probably my favorite section of trail out there. I'm not complaining though because everything else is so good out there.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
I haven't mountain biked or ridden at Boyette in about a year or so. Major Kudos to all of the hard working people that upkeep these trails and I'm all for the awesome changes and new trail sections. My wife and I had fun and lost about ten pounds in sweat. Great job, good flow, keep it up!!!!!!

Offline BTroll

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:35 AM »
After getting used to the trail and having trail worn in this direction i'm liking it a lot more. #trustinswamp

Advertisement: