Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Stormy Rides  (Read 1265 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Stormy Rides
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:18:58 PM »
All this rizzle schnizzle has me thinking of the worst storm I was ever caught in. It was a July 4 weekend, might have been on the July 4, probably 7 - 8 years ago or so. I was riding out at Boyette mid afternoon and a mother of all afternoon storms came over me. I was riding what is now known as the quadrants and the skies opened up.  It started as light rain and got heavier and heavier. This was before the fires and the pine trees were more abundant through that middle palmetto section.The rain was torrential, un-believable. I later found out on the evening news/weather  that 5" of rain fell in about 1 hour(approx.) I was riding the trails and I figured that it was going to stop,  the heavy storms usually don't last too long.  The water levels were rising and the trail literally turned into  a river of rushing water.  The singletrack was acting as a water canal and the water must have been 6 - 9 inches  high rushing along the course of singletrack.  I was plodding through and the lightning strikes became more abundant and it seemed like they were getting closer. A few more minutes passed and the lightning was coming down all around me. All around me. I was in the middle of the lightning storm. The air was cracking with bolt after bolt. At the time I had an aluminum hardtail, Gary Fischer Tassajara and i was really getting scared of being struck by lightning. The lightning was striking pine trees all around me, it was like bombs going off, constantly. The lightning strikes were every couple of seconds to 10 -15 seconds. I jumped off my bike and ran about 50 yards up the trail away from the bike. I didn't know where to go. They say don't go under trees but being in a sparsely wooded section, I thought  being under on the trees was as safe a place as possible. Doesn't that tree saying apply to don't go under a tree in the middle of a field? The rain was still torrential. I hunkered down for about 15 minutes and it finally passed. I returned back to the parking lot and there was still sporadic lightning but after what I had been through, it didn't seem to matter. Those lightning strikes were coming down all around me. It was literally like somebody was trying to throw spears at me from above. Thats one storm i'll never forget!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:27:07 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
Re: Stormy Rides
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:21:39 PM »
Yike's glad you made it out unscathed!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline ROCKgardener

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • TEAM MUTANT
    • echo-lab studio (MYSPACE)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »
i have had that happen while out on the boats before in lake tarpon... NO FUN thats for darn sure....

now i am thinking i shouldn't ride with tin foil wrapped on my head to keep the voices out

LOL

just ride the drop.....go fast...if anything gets in your way...TURN!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:31:04 PM »
 ;D  Lifes boring without the voices!    ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »
My brother and I had a stormy ride once on a sailboat.
We went from under the Howard Franklin Bridge to under the Gandy Bridge in record time.  I later estimated our speed at nearly 40 miles per hour! (34 knots) We had to get back to the beach at picnic island before the afternoon storm or spend the night elsewhere so we took a shot.  The wind picked up from our beam and we could see the lightning clouds coming. We were committed by that point.  The boat had a tall aluminum mast and picked up speed so fast it was all we could do to keep it upright and moving.  He was out on the wire with his weight behind and outside of me.  I was so far back on the boat the tiller crossed over my legs in front of me.  I was inches from the transom (back of the boat).  We were constantly on the very edge of being out-of-control.

For 30 minutes my heart was in my throat as we were moving faster than I had even been on a sailboat (catamaran) before.  I can still see the huge rooster tail blowing from the lower hull as we powered through the water.  It would have been a total blast without the black clouds but the motivation to beat the storm and the lack of a safe place to park left little option.

We made it eventually but what a powerful ride it was.  The voices that day kept asking me how crazy I was.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Advertisement: