Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What A workout  (Read 269 times)

Offline keller34

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette Scrub
  • My Bike: 2015 Trek Marlin 6
What A workout
« on: March 27, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »
Well for me at least.  I went to Alafia to ride for the first time.  Figured I would try my hand at North creek.  Keep in mind I am just a beginner but like to push it a little bit.  I have rode Boyette and have done a few trails there and they seem tame to the ones at Alafia! 

I have done 8+ miles no problem of just trails at Boyette but at Alafia I was struggling.  I have to admit it was fun flying through the air a few times and ended up on what I think was razorback...I almost pee'ed myself a little when i went down the hill and the other crap.  It was the only one close enough and was unlike any of the other stuff I have went through.  I won't make that mistake again and will pay attention to the signs better as i am NOT ready for that kind of riding!  I skipped Twisted and Magic as i was tired as could be.  This trail gave my fat, out of shape self a nice little work out.

I think I am going to see more about some help learning how to handle these trails better before I bite off more than i can chew and do a face plant into a tree.

Offline John

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Moonscape
  • My Bike: Trek superfly
Re: What A workout
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »
Try River loop, Rock garden and Sand pine at Alafia....

they are much easier.  Then work up to Roller Coaster and North Creek.

Good Luck!!

Offline JeffWhite

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:07:10 PM »

Best to take a riding class.  See the SWAMP club training page.

How about a TRADE?  Give up a few hours riding and volunteer for trail maintenance to give back to our trails.  In exchange, you will earn one intermediate RIDING CLINIC coupon for yourself, a family member or friend - redeemable on any 3rd Sunday at Alafia (max 8/clinic).  You’ll practice the “tips & tricks” to increase control, stability and enjoyment.  These tips jumpstart your riding proficiency for intermediate trails and become the foundation for advanced skills.

Contact instructor & Alafia trail boss:  Jeff White - jeff@swampclub.org

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:48:06 PM »
Alafia and Boyette are great trail systems. You could try Rollercoaster, and head out at the "bailout" at the first clearing. That pretty much shortens that trail quite a bit.

The first half of Bridges isn't too bad either. The tough climb is on the second half.

As mentioned earlier, sand pine, rock garden, and River loop. Just be careful on rock garden and river loop after the rain. There are some spots that can stay wet for days, and riding through those areas causes damage.

There is also a short blue off of rock garden, garden ridge I believe, that is a good learning trail. Just be careful, it is a two way trail.

Offline keller34

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »

Best to take a riding class.  See the SWAMP club training page.

How about a TRADE?  Give up a few hours riding and volunteer for trail maintenance to give back to our trails.  In exchange, you will earn one intermediate RIDING CLINIC coupon for yourself, a family member or friend - redeemable on any 3rd Sunday at Alafia (max 8/clinic).  You’ll practice the “tips & tricks” to increase control, stability and enjoyment.  These tips jumpstart your riding proficiency for intermediate trails and become the foundation for advanced skills.

Contact instructor & Alafia trail boss:  Jeff White - jeff@swampclub.org

Thats a great thought.  I will go this route then.  I am always up for a trade!  Email on the way.

Offline Takos

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Balm- Boyette
  • My Bike: (Frankenbike) Iron Horse Quantum frame- Lots of other parts too.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »
Going to hit Boyette around 8 am tomorrow.  I am fat and out of shape too.  Probably just ride the quads and sasquatch.

Offline keller34

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
Going to hit Boyette around 8 am tomorrow.  I am fat and out of shape too.  Probably just ride the quads and sasquatch.

PM'ed you

Advertisement: