Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ranking the Black Diamond Trails  (Read 620 times)

Offline sleighride

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Giant Trance
Ranking the Black Diamond Trails
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:37:09 PM »
What are the easier Black trails at Alafia and Boyette?  I can ride all the blues, and I ride North Abyss but can't quite handle South Abyss yet.  Any suggestions on which ones to try first and which to definitely avoid for now?
Thanks.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Ranking the Black Diamond Trails
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:04:43 AM »
Not sure what you mean by "easier" since Black Diamond trails are difficult or technical in nature.  Also, trail designation (Blue or Black trails) are designators for THAT particular trail system.  What is Black at Alafia isn't the same as what is Black at New Quarter Park in Virginia. So ease or difficult are subjective and become easier with practice. (ride what you can and walk what you can't; soon you're riding everything).
Intermediate Blue Trails get easier then it's time to test the waters on a Black Diamond Trail, then Double Black Diamond Trails.  Watching riders with more learned skills and how they handle TTF's (technical trail features) and even asking for tips on how it's done makes you a better rider.  Very, very few people won't assists with advice. Those folks are best ignored all through life.
Major tip - when helping volunteer on workdays there is invaluable information from Trail Bosses and Section Leaders on how to handle particular sections.

Offline John

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Moonscape
  • My Bike: Trek superfly
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »
2nd and 3rd option on roller coaster at Alafia are good starter blacks... at least I think they are considered blacks.

Shellys loop is also a good one.

And Buzzard bay is not bad.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
The rating aren't comparable between Alafia and Balm and many disagree with which deserve what (IE, I think Magic Island and Twister Sister are black, but they are officially Blue). Either way, it seems you are looking for opinions, so here is how I'd rate the difficulty of trails in those two systems:

Hardest to easiest:
Moonscape
Gatorback
Frank's loop
Pandemonium (if you keep right)
North Abyss
Ridgeline
South Abyss
Shelly's loop
Derailed
3rd hard option Rollercoaster
Rabbit ears (3,2,1)
OAF
Hard option at the end of Bridges
Razorback
First hard option on North Creek (that most don't even release has a bypass)
Twisted Sister
Magic Island
2nd hard option on Rollercoaster
Buzzard Bay
Rock Ridge

And by hard, I mean difficult to ride without dabbing, stopping to take a breath or just all around scary (IE, Moosncape is the top because of the part where you have to ride up the side of the hill, make a hairpin and come straight back down).

Offline sleighride

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: Giant Trance
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the advice.  Ben, thanks for taking the time to put together that list, I agree with your assessment of Magic Island as I dab at least 2x when I ride it, haven't tried Twisted Sister yet.  I will give Buzzard Bay and the hard options at Rollercoaster a try.

Garry,
I understand your point, but there are different tiers of difficulty within each "color" at any given park.  I would confidently tell an advancing "green" rider to ride Upper Spiderberm, Golf Cart and East Meadow before attempting Sidewinder/Swamp Thing.  My guess is the same logic would apply to the blacks trails, so a general consensus would keep me (and other forum readers) progressing on appropriate trails and not over my head.  I know you guys put A LOT of work into making these trails fun, so the less riders sliding a downhill or getting in the way walking a long steep uphill the better.

Offline Dudedowne

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: TBD
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »
Hey all,

IMBA has a reasonable guidelines and attempts to make the trail ratings consistent and less subjective. Check it out here:
https://www.imba.com/resources/maps/trail-difficulty-ratings

Offline Osco

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • I fall well
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette, All of It :P
  • My Bike: Scott Spark 760
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 07:16:46 PM »
I completed Ridgeline ONE time so far, Been riding Boyette for three seasons now.

I started this in poor shape, I'm worlds better now But I just cannot risk the potential Injury of the Black Diamond trails, most of them that Is.
I can do North Abyss, mostly, a few places I end up dragging the bike up. South Abyss Is still out of my reach mostly because after North I'm too wasted.

I get a good solid workout on the Blue's, The New Spider loop Is my fav, I never get bored with that one or Gator and Golf Cart..

I dunno bout them Black Trails,,,

I gotta go to Alafia more I guess.....
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."-
Mark Twain

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »
I completed Ridgeline ONE time so far, Been riding Boyette for three seasons now.

I started this in poor shape, I'm worlds better now But I just cannot risk the potential Injury of the Black Diamond trails, most of them that Is.
I can do North Abyss, mostly, a few places I end up dragging the bike up. South Abyss Is still out of my reach mostly because after North I'm too wasted.

I get a good solid workout on the Blue's, The New Spider loop Is my fav, I never get bored with that one or Gator and Golf Cart..

I dunno bout them Black Trails,,,

I gotta go to Alafia more I guess.....

You would be surprised at the benefits of doing a non-stop loop through the Quadrants. Pedal as hard as you are comfortable and do lap times when you ride Boyette.  After several excursions of the twisty menagerie of a trail, aiming for personal best, then hit the Abyss next time. Basics of "push-pull" and weight distribution you will be amazed at how much easier it is.

Offline Takos

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Balm- Boyette
  • My Bike: (Frankenbike) Iron Horse Quantum frame- Lots of other parts too.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:20 PM »

You would be surprised at the benefits of doing a non-stop loop through the Quadrants. Pedal as hard as you are comfortable and do lap times when you ride Boyette.  After several excursions of the twisty menagerie of a trail, aiming for personal best, then hit the Abyss next time. Basics of "push-pull" and weight distribution you will be amazed at how much easier it is.

I agree with Garry.  I am old, fat and out of shape.  But have been riding for about a year and a half regularly.  When I ride Boyette I normally ride SST, Quadrants, Sasquatch, Palmetto then take the fire road back to the car.

My first time on the Quads I thought I would die.  Now I take a little break after each section of the Quads and usually make it home with enough energy to do something else on a Saturday.  I can tell I am getting better each time out.  My goal is to improve my time a little each time I go out.

Just keep plugging away at it.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 07:02:06 AM »
Ridgeline laps!

Offline keller34

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette Scrub
  • My Bike: 2015 Trek Marlin 6
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 03:47:06 PM »

I agree with Garry.  I am old, fat and out of shape.  But have been riding for about a year and a half regularly.  When I ride Boyette I normally ride SST, Quadrants, Sasquatch, Palmetto then take the fire road back to the car.

My first time on the Quads I thought I would die.  Now I take a little break after each section of the Quads and usually make it home with enough energy to do something else on a Saturday.  I can tell I am getting better each time out.  My goal is to improve my time a little each time I go out.

Just keep plugging away at it.

How old and fat are you?

I am getting old and am fat but last time I was out about a week or 2 ago(damn work) I ran ridge line and it took me forever as I had to stop and rest a few times.  I am trying my best to be able to ride some blaks with out eating dirt or having to stop and rest.

Offline Takos

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
49, 319

I stay off the Black Diamonds because I have a bit of an issue stopping myself and my bike is not too great.  Actually made visits to Aj's, Brandon Bike works, Just Ride and the shop behind DQ on 60 looking at new bikes.  Trying to get the wife to approve one for my 5oth birthday.

Actually planning on going to Alafia after Church tomorrow. probably about 2pm.  Going to ride Sand Pine etc.  Would do Boyette. But don't feel like making the 2 mile ride tomoorw.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
What's wrong with the bike? All the trails around here are perfectly doable on anything for the most part.

Offline Takos

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 11:23:03 PM »
It is a 26", 21.5" hardtail I cobbled together with used parts bought from here to there.  I am 6'6", 319 and look like a circus bear riding a tricycle. Got 2 kids playing club volleyball, so my toys are put on the wayside and I make do with what I have.

Either I have no confidence in myself or am afraid the bike is going to come apart underneath me. Working on the brakes now. They are disc and last time I was on North Creek, heading down hill I really had nothing on the rear.

It is probably more me than anything else not having confidence.  I am just blaming the bike! ;)

Trust me. I love getting out. I also know my limitations.

Offline keller34

• First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette Scrub
  • My Bike: 2015 Trek Marlin 6
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
It is a 26", 21.5" hardtail I cobbled together with used parts bought from here to there.  I am 6'6", 319 and look like a circus bear riding a tricycle. Got 2 kids playing club volleyball, so my toys are put on the wayside and I make do with what I have.

Either I have no confidence in myself or am afraid the bike is going to come apart underneath me. Working on the brakes now. They are disc and last time I was on North Creek, heading down hill I really had nothing on the rear.

It is probably more me than anything else not having confidence.  I am just blaming the bike! ;)

Trust me. I love getting out. I also know my limitations.

I rode north creek once....had to stop half way through and take a 15 minute breather because I hit 3 side trails, RB, MI, and TS.  I stopped other times too though but made it through.

To me it does not matter how many times I stop as long as I push myself to the point where I have to stop and make it all the way. I did get back to the car and site for a bit before I felt good enough to drive.   That was about a month or so ago.  I hope I can do better now.

Me and my 2 sons and DIL might be there today after they finish church.  I have to work on my sons car this morning.

Let me know if you are going.  PM me

I stay off the Black Diamonds because I have a bit of an issue stopping myself and my bike is not too great. 

Sometimes the way I stop is hitting the ground...lol.  Usually too much front brake or I hit the soft shoulder and ditch it before I go over.  Still learning and getting better but hey like someone said on here:  "If you're not crashing, then your not riding hard enough."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:46:09 AM by keller34 »

Advertisement: