Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Closed...  (Read 457 times)

Offline Osco

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • I fall well
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette, All of It :P
  • My Bike: Scott Spark 760
Closed...
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »
AJ's said closed for two weeks or more,

The back ground noise as Alafia was saying, 'Closed Indefinitely'

Google said The site is 'Permanently' Closed,,,
 https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=balm%20boyette%20scrub%20preserve

Bummer, I figure It will reopen in a month or so,, I hope because IMO The Scrub has It all.....
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."-
Mark Twain

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
Re: Closed...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure anyone can mark anything on Google as permanently closed and if no one reports it as inaccurate, then the info on the site will stay that way.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
It is not permanently closed. Google only shows "closed due to flooding." Having extensive knowledge of the property and dealing often with the Land Manager, I can say they are dedicated to having this jewel of a trail system available to the public.

There have been challenges with the very heavy daily rains that our area has been deluged with, and when that happens the swampy areas and creeks massively overflow. Unfortunately it takes some time for that to soak into the ground and recede.

Meanwhile what you have is some very muddy sensitive conditions in several areas, and some not so bad in others. Getting to those not so bad places often means damaging the very muddy sections for months of volunteers working to repair it.

With Fat Tire Fest coming up in November - about 8 weeks away - there will be more than enough work to scramble together and get done to ensure a fun ride for all for the event. 

Boyette is not closing permanently. There is plans being put forth for a new expanded parking location that has been easily 8 or 9 years in the making; property has been purchased for that purpose. There is plans for new trails. There is plans for old trail revamping.

Safe to say the place is here to stay.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
Is there any update as to Boyette's condition? 

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
Something had to have changed with the drainage around that area. Whether it be the construction or changes at neighboring farms. We have been riding out there for 20 years and have never seen water standing in the quadrants . I hope it gets worked out soon.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
Obama.

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 08:30:45 AM »
Something had to have changed with the drainage around that area. Whether it be the construction or changes at neighboring farms. We have been riding out there for 20 years and have never seen water standing in the quadrants . I hope it gets worked out soon.

"In fact, Tampa shattered a 42-year-old record for the amount of rainfall for Aug. 1. By 3 p.m., it had already received 3.1 inches. The previous record, from 1973, was 2.60 inches."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/tampa-breaks-record-for-rainfall/2239628

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
I was Trail Boss at Boyette for 16 years - once before we had severe flooding and the 2-mile two-track going out was a muddied mushy mess for a long time after heavy rains to the point that water was sheeting across the trail. Through working with the Project Manager of ELAPP properties they put down 9 full dump truck loads of soil and dropped a few pipes in the worst area to help raise the bed and transfer water from one side of the newly laid two-track to the other. We thought that as long as we didn't have a rain like that again we would be okay. We had it WORST than that this past July/August. I also do remember standing water in the Quadrants back then. Something we never had before. Well, at least since the time way back, shortly after we opened the Preserve to mountain biking, when we had to reroute Southwest Trail away from the swampy area because it became underwater, and parts of that old trail still were wet and swampy even before these recent rains. Flowing water is the biggest Earth mover besides man. Natural erosion changes make things different with no assistance from man. One of the benefits of the new parking lot will be most of this flood issue will be lessened. I say "most" because heavy rainy seasons like we recently experienced will still make for issues out of our control.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:31:31 PM »
Are the quadrants still under water??

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Are the quadrants still under water??

From what I understand parts of them still are. The two-track going out is still bad, and of course the clay based trails just can't handle bike or foot traffic right now. Erosion damage needs to be fixed too. Been an ugly rainy season for sure.

Advertisement: