Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hillsborough County moves toward controlled hog hunts  (Read 261 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Hillsborough County moves toward controlled hog hunts
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
It looks like Hillsborough County might allow law enforcement officials to hunt feral hogs. 
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/for-the-first-time-hillsborough-deputies-plan-to-shoot-feral-hogs/2242639

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Hillsborough County moves toward controlled hog hunts
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
It looks like Hillsborough County might allow law enforcement officials to hunt feral hogs. 
http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/for-the-first-time-hillsborough-deputies-plan-to-shoot-feral-hogs/2242639

Great news, but there is always someone involved who puts limitations on eradication of this invasive species. Animal Rights Foundation of Florida believes the feral hogs should stay so some degree. Kudzo vine, Japanese fern vine and air potato vine are invasive plant species, and no one suggests they should "keep some of them." Don't get me wrong, I am pleased they have finally taken the approach of "getting all of them", but hunters have been restricted in the use of firearms to hunt the hogs. Now LEO will go in and do a shoot-em-up. Good news for the destruction of land the hogs unleash and disease they spread.

Online ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »
I would be more than happy to hunt the hogs on ELAPP land.

The problem, as stated in the article, is the expansion of the Urban Services Area. If Hillsborough would stop stretching it east and south, the open land would still be there, and you wouldn't have hogs tearing up peoples nice new landscaping, in their nice new houses. I am scared to see what (the rest of) Wimauma, Keysville, and Fort Lonesome are going to look like in another decade.

Offline Osco

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • I fall well
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette, All of It :P
  • My Bike: Scott Spark 760
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
Well first off this old Florida boy, raised by a true Florida Cracker on the banks of Lake Istokpoga noticed that no one that's posted so far knows very much about Hawgs. Feral,,:P That right there is funny.

When I was 12 and already killing Armadillo's by the dozens per day, (22 long rifle hollow points supplied by the home owners around the canal),,

There was Hog sign In the pastures around the lake, the 'bayheads' were full of them,, feral,,, yeah ok. A domestic hog, a pig farmers hog will turn 'feral' in a month once they get loose. It's like a werewolf, the change, they really change...
Feral hogs came to Florida when people did. They are here to stay.

Put a GOOD hunter In the boyette preserve, another In Alafia, full time and when the park has no more hogs the hunting will end.
,,and they will come back.
Open season, full land access, trapping, and hunting at night with night vision, dogs, lots of dogs non stop for a year and then we can rest
for a year.
If the home owners In fish hawk ALL had guns at the ready propped up by the back door and shot,,,NO SHOT AT every hog spotted they would stop coming,,
Shot at was better as I doubt one In twenty could hit one..

I was out just before first light at Turkey Creek, Was on Indian, Rode right Into a large group, about, wild estimate,,25...
The TWO tuskers Instantly sounded the alarm and took up defensive positions on each side of me while the group quickly vanished, many piglets.

If I would have stopped I would have desperately needed a tree, close by..
A Shot gun at the ready,, I'd have Hit one of the Tuskers I'm sure, not sure what the other one would have done,,,to me.
If I would have stopped,,,I think dropping the gun and going for the tree would be my play...

Ok so I could have shot one,, I bet three or four of the sow's were ready to drop young,,,follow me ?

It's not that people are expanding/spreading Into hog land, It is simply the fact that old phosphate land is rich, a real feed bag, and the hawgs are
living in,,,wait for it,,,
Hawg Heavan :D

ok I'm done. :P

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."-
Mark Twain

Offline Ron

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »

I'm trying to introduce a new sport, the Florida Biathlon. Instead of cross-country skis and a target rifle like the boring old Nordic biathlon, you get a mountain bike and the handgun of your choice (large).

Whoever drops the most pounds of wild pig in the course of the day wins. Yeah, that could get dicey, some of those things get very big and very aggressive. Hey, it's a sport not a pastime.

Oh and bunches of those pigs get destroyed, so everybody wins.

Advertisement: