Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mo money, mo problems....brake issues  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Mo money, mo problems....brake issues
« on: June 05, 2007, 08:48:22 PM »
Recently manned up and spent quite a significant amount of money on an '07 Giant Anthem 2 equipped with Avid Juicy 3 brakes. On my first trail ride I noticed an odd harmonic/screeching noise coming from the rear of the bike. It is periodic and to me sounded like the pad was dragging on a high spot on the rotor. This noise went away when I applied the rear brake slightly.

Took the bike back to the shop and they fiddled with the rear brake. He said something about the rotor not being true (I really wasn't listening too well...I was in a rush to get back to work). I was able to take it for a quick test ride before I loaded it up on the rack and headed back to work...the previous issue seemed to have gone away.

Later on tonight I go out for a neighborhood ride with my wife and sure as * the damn noise is back again. Same exact noise as before and it goes away when I slightly apply/ride the rear brake.

Sounds to me like the caliper/pad is still rubbing at some point on the rear rotor. I visually inspected the rear rotor as the wheel spins and it the rotor looks to be true. So now what? I hate to have to keep bringing it back to the friggin shop, but this noise is horrid out on the trail (not to mention it is a bit embarrasing that I've spent this much money on a bike and it sounds like I'm sporting a 20-year old Huffy that I just pulled out of a lake).

I know noise Avid brakes seems to be a hot topic. I've searched around and appear to have only found people with the Avid noise issue while they are applying the brakes. Couldn't find anything regarding noise when the brakes aren't clamping down on the rotor.

I greatly appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Mo money, mo problems....brake issues
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:29:50 PM »
I've never had the Juicy3's, but on the 7's you could loosen the bolts that mount the caliper, squeeze the brake lever a few times and then hold it, then re-tighten the caliper bolts to re-center the caliper to the rotor. This might help solve your problem.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:06 PM »
After a couple of rides when I first got my bike, the rear brake was also making a screeching sound.  I have Hayes HFX Mags on my Trek.  Turned out all I had to do was slightly (and I mean slightly) adjust the rear caliper.  It was just out of adjustment enough the the outside pad was contacting the rotor and making that noise.  I would start there if I were you before you make another trip to the LBS.  Good luck.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the info so far. 

One thing I neglected to mention is this noise only occurs when my weight is on the bike.  I can't replicate the sound when I lift the rear off the ground and free spin the wheel. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »
I hit send before I could type.....I found this link on the MTBR forum. Apparently the 3's are only available as an OEM product. Hopefully that link will help shed some light. The 3's are found way down.

I have a friend who is having a similar problem with his Juicy 5's

Hope it helps.

Gregg

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »
That sound pretty similar to the problem I talked about in another post. Bike Issues,
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:18:24 PM »
Alan,
You are having the same issue that Firebiker was having with his Juicy 5.  I had it with my Juicy 7.  See my responces to firebiker to take care of this issue.

http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,931.0.html

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:50:57 AM »
i cured my squeek by switching to organic pads...cleaning my rotors with rubbing alcohol and making sure to break the pads in before riding. (very important step)

also after every 3-4 rides, i take the pads out and sand down the imperfections.

after every ride i do the rubbing alcohol on the rotors

a reseat the pads after each sanding as well  (hold the brakes while pedaling around the parking lot several times...alternating front to back every 30 seconds or so)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 06:26:34 PM »
Man factore you keep your ride tight! :o

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 08:23:40 PM »
No doubt! Man oh man!!! I just throw my bike in the truck and ride. There is no denying though, if you do this stuff, your bike will ride better  and last longer. Plus you get to know the ins and outs of your bike.  One of these days I will do better! For meeee,  at least for right now, the bike is performing to spec. Those squeaks sure are annoying.  My next move will probably be the X-9   shifters/ derailleur, new chain and rings, that big ring especially! Man I wear that big ring out quick!!!

;D

813Racing
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:25:50 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »
No doubt! Man oh man!!! I just throw my bike in the truck and ride. There is no denying though, if you do this stuff, your bike will ride better  and last longer. Plus you get to know the ins and outs of your bike.  One of these days I will do better! For meeee,  at least for right now, the bike is performing to spec. Those squeaks sure are annoying.  My next move will probably be the X-9   shifters/ derailleur, new chain and rings, that big ring especially! Man I wear that big ring out quick!!!

big ring . yeah whateva.

;D

813Racing

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:14:46 PM »
Don't whateva me, beaatchh!   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
Alan,
You are having the same issue that Firebiker was having with his Juicy 5.  I had it with my Juicy 7.  See my responces to firebiker to take care of this issue.

This seems to have made the issue a bit better.  Now I only hear the noise if I'm shifting my weight to one side or the other (i.e. taking a turn).  Possibly some slop in the hub?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »
Alan,

This seems to have made the issue a bit better.  Now I only hear the noise if I'm shifting my weight to one side or the other (i.e. taking a turn).  Possibly some slop in the hub?

Hate to say it, but don't forget to check and see if there is a hairline crack in the frame too.

Advertisement: