Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: top mistakes made when mtb training  (Read 1933 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
top mistakes made when mtb training
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
this is from a mtb training course i am trying out

"Top 10 MTB Strength Training Mistakes (Part 1)

Mistake #1. Applying bodybuilder programs to our own - I love Arnold as much as the next guy but the world of bodybuilding he helped popularize has wreaked havoc on the strength-training field. Now we have a whole generation thinking that the key to athletic improvement is to simply get big muscles.

Use of bodypart splits (training different body parts on different days), isolation exercises and 3 sets of 10 reps are all intended to build muscle but will do little to enhance your potential as a rider. Programs that enhance your strength, power and athleticism use a far different approach than bodybuilding. While this ingrained bodybuilding mentality can be maddening, riders who follow these programs can be shown the way. They already believe in working out, their efforts are just misguided.

Mistake #2. Not having a strength-training program in the first place - Unfortunately, a lot of mountain bikers think that all strength training is similar to the bodybuilding routines seen in the fitness media. Because of the boring nature of these exercises routines, riders who would greatly benefit from strength training avoid the gym like the plague.

Instead, they opt for more saddle time, rationalizing that this is what will take them to the next level. More saddle time can be helpful but these riders, from pros to bros, are undeniably limiting their potential as a biker by not having a strength-training program.

Mistake #3. Rushing into weighted exercises -While some of us may have started out doing some push-ups and pull-ups, we progressed to using external resistance (barbells, dumbbells, etc.) as soon as we got "serious" about strength training. Unfortunately this rush to use external resistance robs us of the chance to master our own bodyweight.

As mountain bikers, mastering balance and joint control, using just our bodyweight, must be a priority with a strength-training program. You have to earn the right to use external resistance if you are really serious about your riding."

"Top 10 MTB Strength Training MIstakes (Part 2)

Mistake #4. Using machines - This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the mountain bike programs I see in the media. Your body needs a platform to display strength from and your torso is a major part of creating that platform. Any time you sit down and brace your back against something (like a leg press) your torso does not have to brace as hard to help move the weight.

There is a saying in powerlifting that "you can't fire a cannon from a canoe because you'll sink the damn thing". This is just an eloquent way (for a powerlifter, at least) to point out that how much strength and power you can display in the real world is contingent on having a firm platform to "fire" from.

Machines rob you of a chance to strengthen this platform, as well as retarding your ability to coordinate your "cannons" (arms and legs) and "platform" (torso). All this adds up to one thing - as a serious rider, machines should almost never be a part of your program.

Mistake #5. Misunderstanding ab/ core/ torso work - Call it what you will, having better strength and control of your midsection (abdominal and low/ mid back area) is paramount to being an explosive and injury resistant biker. If mistake #4 didn't help illustrate my point about the importance of this area I don't know what will.

Unfortunately, there is a huge misunderstanding about the best way to train your torso. Crunches, leg raises and side bends are what most people do to build their abs and, while better than nothing, they are certainly not the best we can do. Your torso's primary purpose in life is to stabilize and protect your spine. Most ab work focuses on torso movements, making them less than desirable to build stability.

Your torso has to be stabilizing your spine during an exercise to work on that specific function, making most well known ab exercises inefficient if not ineffective. Luckily for us, though, some of the best torso stabilization exercises are also the core lifts you want to focus on during strength training (deadlifts, overhead pressing, front squats, etc.). Add in some specific work like planks and windmills and you're well on your way to building a bulletproof torso.

Mistake #6. Over applying the  "sport specific" concept - We all want our programs to be "sport specific". Heck, you wouldn't be reading this if you didn't see some value in directing your gym time to improve your saddle time. However, a lot of trainers go overboard with this concept in an attempt to impress potential clients.

Remember, strength training programs can have one of three impacts on your riding - 1) positive, 2) negative or 3) none. Hopefully you're shooting for option #1. Programs should be rated according to this criteria alone. A basic, well-conceived program that delivers noticeable results is always better than the super fancy one that baffles you with bull * while delivering nothing."

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Re: top mistakes made when mtb training
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
How about some more information so others can find out about the program as well?  That is should they decide to pursue this good lead.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
I need a weeks head start....j/k

here is info

James Wilson
MTB Strength Training Systems
www.mtbstrengthcoach.com

Wilson Fitness Systems LLC

2470 F Road #3
Grand Junction, CO
US

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
Pilates is a great program to build core strength, balance, and control. It will help you resist injury and recover from injury faster. There is a book out that also has pilate routines for specific sports, including mountain biking.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:26 PM »
I like pilates...these are a lot like the pilates stuff i have done off my fiance's pilates dvd

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 07:47:35 PM »
#1 cause of a sore back - the answer is ............... a soft belly!!

I agree wit da pilates. Look forward to the day when I can try it!!!

Dude !!!, good info!!!!!   ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »
I was trying the Pilates with my wife a couple of years ago.  Man that stuff was a pain in the a**.  Now that I know there is a Pilates routine for MTBers, I guess I'll give it a shot again.  At least this time I know I will be doing it for something good other than making the wife happy.  Gotta make the little woman happy sometimes.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »
here goes part 3

"Top 10 MTB Strength Training Mistakes (Part 3)

Mistake #7. Not having a goal - For mountain bikers this can be a tough one. We know that we want our workouts to improve our riding but this, in itself, is not a goal. A goal is picking a specific physical quality or movement pattern that is a weak link in our riding and improving upon it. Grip strength, torso strength, hip mobility and injury rehab are all examples of goals.

Pick a specific goal, adopt a time frame and approach to achieve it and then go at it. If possible, find specific tests relative to your goal and measure results before, during and after. Compare this with how your riding has been affected, and you will get a good idea of whether your plan worked.

It may sound like a complicated process, but it isn't. Understanding how to set goals and then achieve them will make an unimaginable impact on your riding.

Mistake #8. Not appreciating the importance of injury prevention - Quick question - if you're hurt and lying on the couch, does it matter how fit and skilled you are? The answer, of course, is no.

Very few riders appreciate the role of injury prevention in their long-term development. Any time spent injured is time not spent getting better or fitter and over time these lay offs can make a big difference in your skills. A good strength training program will help you become more injury resistant by addressing both the imbalances cycling creates in the body and fortifying areas prone to injury during crashes.

Mistake #9. Not having the right perspective during workouts (focus and fun) - Workouts shouldn't be a mindless and mundane task. Aggressive riding on your bike requires laser-like focus, balance, control and impressive displays of strength and power. If you want to get better at these qualities through gym time, your workouts better reflect it.

Workouts shouldn't be a random collection of exercises that you view as a list to simply get through so you can go home. Each exercise, if chosen wisely, should be an opportunity to work on a movement pattern or physical skill that will enhance your riding. Without this focus, both on proper program design and on execution, you're wasting your time."

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
here is the final mistake according to this author

"Top 10 MTB Strength Training Mistakes (Part 4)

Mistake #10. Not following a planned progression - None of us would dream of taking someone who had never been on a mountain bike before to Whistler and pointing them down No Joke right off the bat. Even if they wanted to do it, we would strongly encourage them to ride a few easier trails first and work up to the harder (and more fun) stuff. Without this progression they would probably hurt themselves pretty bad and most likely swear of mountain biking altogether.

The above example, while extreme, does illustrate my point that we've all followed some sort of progression as riders and our strength training programs should be no different. Strength training progressions can apply to exercises (simple progressing to complex), resistance mediums (bodyweight exercises progressing to external resistance) and intensity. In fact, without recognizing this need and planning the progressions in advance you run the risk of spinning your wheels or even regressing in your training.

So, now you hopefully have a better understanding of what a mountain bike specific workout program should look like. Perhaps you were unknowingly making a few of these mistakes yourself. However, at least you knew enough to understand the importance of incorporating a strength and conditioning program into your overall riding strategy and have now taken the first step towards becoming a more complete rider by signing up for this mini-course. I'm sure that you do not want to waste your time with outdated and ineffective workout programs and can appreciate how avoiding these mistakes can help speed your progression.'

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »
Jonathan.

Does that book or whatever actually have exercises you should be doing to strengthen your self for riding?

Thanks.

-Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »
yes

they are very simular to palates or however you spell it - go to the site and there are several free videos you can watch to catch the drift of what it is all about

Advertisement: