Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Just got back!  (Read 1511 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Just got back!
« on: June 11, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »
Took a trip over the weekend to do some MTB'ing up in some mountains. ;D

Left with 2 friends Thursday, arrived at our good friend's cabin near Tsali, NC late in the afternoon. After dinner we went out and did a night ride on Thompson Loop at Tsali. The next morning we rode Left Loop at Tsali, and then went over behind NOC and rode Flint Ridge. Got a few showers in the afternoon so we stayed at the cabin, and then went back to NOC and watched some kayakers and rafters on the Nahtahala River, and had dinner at a restaurant on the river. The weather cleared up, so we went out and rode the Right Loop at Tsali for a night ride.

Saturday morning we rode Mouse Branch Loop at Tsali, then loaded up and headed over to Ocoee Whitewater Center in TN. We rode a bunch there for the rest of the afternoon, and then jumped in the river afterwards. That is one cold river! After this we went to another friends cabin east of Blue Ridge, GA.

Sunday morning we went to Bull Mtn and put in a tough 17 and some change ride. Grabbed some lunch, then we rode some trails close to Blue Ridge that are part of the Aska trail network. We rode Flat Creek trail, talk about mis-named! When we got back to the parking lot there was a lady there whose husband and 2 young daughters that were overdue from a hike. We told her we were going to run a short trail, Green Mountain, and if they hadn't showed up we would ride in and look for them. We got back to the parking lot and she had left us a note that they hadn't showed and she was up the trail where her cell phone worked. So we climbed back up to her, and then went up this extremely difficult trail. After nearly an hour of continuos climbing we got to a junction of the trail where we had to turn back due to failing light. So we rolled back to the parking lot, and luckily enough the hikers had found a rode and someone gave them a ride back to the parking lot. Those little girls were tired! On was 7, the other 3!

So that ended a great weekend of riding. Total mileage was 96.75 miles. What an incredible experience!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Just got back!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
Sound s like a sweet trip! There is nothing like riding in the mountains! 8)

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »
Did you grab a bite to eat here?

Pizza By The River is a good place. Not the BEST pizza in the world but still good and very, very, very loaded....
The guy who owns it is great, too. A lot of the raft guides end up here, get a fire going and thaw out...
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:02:26 PM »
almost  a 100 miles! pretty darn good. there are those who think its too hard to ride that much in the mountains. Me not being one of them. They shall remain nameless.  Good sounding trip, jammed alot in, got some rafting in too!   :)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:38:35 PM »
Yeah, it's a blast up there.  Great ride report!

BTW?  Which section of trail do you like best?  That last downhill on Thompson's Loop is rather fun!

Glad the family made it back safely
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »
nope didn't get to pizza by the river, but I heard it was good. We ate at the restaurant by NOC, can't recall the name right now though.

My favorite section at Tsali was probably the downhill after the overlook on left loop. The fire road out was a blast as well. Overall favorite was the downhill at Ocoee called Thunderrock Xpress. Probably 2-2 1/2 miles downhill.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
Oh yes!  We did TR Express twice the day we went there (the Tanasi trails).  We were on the very other end of the trails when we decided to call it day...   Then we decided to do the extra double climbs to do Thunder Rock Express one last time before we left. 

This picture http://new.photos.yahoo.com/swamppictures/album/576460762398285893/photo/294928804335373376/89 was taken from the bridge at the bottom of that trail. (April 2007)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:08:55 PM by Kevan »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 06:40:59 AM »
The TR Express is a great trail!!!!!

Advertisement: