Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: help  (Read 2154 times)

Offline gum

• Forum Newbie
help
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:38:54 PM »
HI all,I am 6'2" 275# and looking to buy my first mtb,i would prefer full susp. and not break the bank, any advice would help...thanks

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »
I am glad you posted. I did see your shout.

This is probably more complicated than we could get in that function.

There are so many variables. And I am sure that my friends here will point out some things that I miss.

Your inseam, and then how long are your arms are probably the most important.

Have you ridden before, and what do you anticipate will be the kind of riding you do.

Being that you are a bigger guy, you definitely don't need to worry about buying the lightest bike on the market. You want to get something that is very durable. You are what is called a "Clydesdale" (so am I) buy a bike designed for you.

What is your budget? Do you think that you will have money available later to make upgrades?

These are questions that you need to consider. You need to ride some bikes, go to more than one bike shop, and be open. Some shops might try and upsell you while others may be more concerned about your needs.

Gregg

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:57 PM »
if you are interested in a hardtail... i have a 19" trek 8500 hardtail, red in color with XT and XTR Components.. for 700 bucks..

good deal, great first bike, great components to move to a new bike when you upgrade... and should do fine with your size...

0h yeah lifetime warranty too..

-Bob

pm me if your interested..

;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:57:16 AM »
For your size brother, I'd recommend some thing over built like a Kona Hoss it is a hardtail though
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:00:14 AM »
i am 6'1" and i started out at 267 pounds - i like my full suspension bike - not sure what you are looking to spend.  I am very happy with my santa cruz blur LT

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »
I have a Hoss, The frame is indestructable. And you can buy a new one fairly inexpensively,and upgrade as you go. That is what I did. the only thing left is the frame. I love it!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 04:05:48 PM »
Gum
Go to all the local bike stores.  Ride all of the bikes in your price range and take notes about how they feel.  Post you favorite top 3 or 4 here so we can discuss.  Bottom line is most of the major manufactures put out a good product.  It comes down to feel and aesthetics.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
Gum
Go to all the local bike stores.  Ride all of the bikes in your price range and take notes about how they feel.  Post you favorite top 3 or 4 here so we can discuss.  Bottom line is most of the major manufactures put out a good product.  It comes down to feel and aesthetics.

most of the LBS will let you test ride - no reason not to try before you buy

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »
I'm 5'10" and I fit a 18-19" bike (Medium), so you're more likely going to fit a Large or X-Large frame in the 20-21" size. My best friend is right around 6' and I believe he's riding a 21" frame Trek 4300.

As you will be riding a larger bike, I would recomend a bike with 29" tires. It's harder to run these large tires on smaller frames because the rear of the front tire might hit the toe of the forward foot when turning. I had it happen to me on a medium frame bike, while the same bike with a large frame had plenty of clearance.

Also, the larger tire will absorb more of the trail irregularities with its larger footprint. Since I'm partial to Cannondale bikes, I'd recomend the Caffeine 29. It's a mid-level bike though, and may be more expensive than you want to start with.... click the picture for more details:

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: