Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hard @ss pride  (Read 11357 times)

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Hard @ss pride
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:28:04 PM »
As many of you know, I had been looking to build up a FS bike for a while now. But, sometime in between staring at Homberto's rear wheel (he was the group leader, so I decided not to pass him) and dropping the majority of the B group on the beginning of RollerCoaster, I realized that no mater how much money I poured into a bike it wouldn't sprint or climb like a my hard tail. I figure I'm young enough and strong enough to piss off you old farts and I'm just fine with that.
So here's to all my fellow Hard @ss riders out there. Let nothing seperate your rump from the ground.

Now on the list.... a 29er.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Hard @ss pride
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:31:33 AM »
My full boinger goes fast. Its all about the engine. ;D

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:58 PM »
Yeah, alot of it is. If you can, lock out your suspension next time your on it and do a quick sprint against a friend thats in full squishy mode. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:53:58 AM »
I have had a couple of nice racing hardtails. The first one I had was a gary Fisher Pro caliber, All Xtr with race lite wheels. This was before the time of disc brakes. This bike was at 20 lbs and it was sweet! Then I had an MXC fusion pro. It was allright. Then the sugar came out and I was all over the first ones. It was A fast bike and i rode it for  a couple of years. Then in 2002 i saw my first Ellsworth Truth frame in a small shop in Tampa. I said my god that is the most beutiful frame i have ever seen. So I did what any other bike freak would do and ordered me one. Nobody in town had another one. well, I have had the bike since. last years race season I built up a 22 lb Giant XTC hardtail and did some riding on it. Needless to say I am back on the Ellsworth. I know the hardtails do sprint fast, but all around I am faster on the full boinger.   :)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:43:22 PM »
I am curious about why you feel you are faster on the full squish.  Is it because you fatigue less due to the suspension?  Because the suspension will let you take different lines without much penalty?  Greater rear wheel traction?  Something else entirely?  Having never really raced a hard tail or a fully I am unsure of the plus / minuses of both frame types in that environment.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline PIRANHA

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:10:21 PM »
I think it's funny how everyone used to have to ride a hardtail before the days of dual suspension on the same trails they ride now. In my opinion, the evolution of "free riding" has obviously created a need for long travel, dual suspension bikes that can take a beating, but as far as riding MOST trails (especially here in flat Florida) a quality hardtail is still the best choice. Proper riding technique and finding the correct rear tire pressure makes a hardtail comfortable on almost any trail. Insn't there supposed to be bumps when you are riding OFF ROAD?  ::)
Gary Fisher Piranha w/ XT crankset, XT rear, WTB MotoRaptor 2.14 race's, carbon seatpost, Marzocchi MX PRO ETA/TAS

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 10:17:24 PM »
Full suspension bikes do let you be less picky about your lines, all in all it lets you keep up a consistent speed for a good period of time. On a hardtail the general rule is, the bumpier it is the slower you go. So on a trail like Moonscape, yeah you do just crawl... If you keep your rump planted on the seat. But I've got plenty of travel in my legs to soak up the bumps, so I guess I get the best of both worlds, cush and stiffness. And Beer, when you do get around to selling some of your bikes, I'd pick up a decent hardtail so ya know what we're talking about.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 10:44:02 PM »
Riding a hardtail through technical sections is extremely rewarding. You do have to pay more attention to your lines, and be more active on the bike using your legs to soak up the terrain.

You are more involved in the proccess. Like Doug said, there are supposed to be bumps, and when you have cleared the tougher stuff, you know it was you that did it. Not the bike. That feels good!

CWG is right about the suspension he uses (legs).

There is no question that a fully is generally more comfortable, if you just sit on your seat and pedal. I could sit on my couch and be comfortable, but I like to ride my bike! ;) 

Gregg

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:47:11 PM »
lol applaud for you gregg

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »
I am glad my question for the original ellsrider about why he felt he was faster on a FS has turned into to a pulpit to disparage and belittle said riders.  We all already know that full squish riders are less technical, slower, dumber and are generally the reason for the war in Iraq.   ::) :P 
PIRANHA -- Do you ride full rigid?  Is it difficult on trails like HBR?
CWG -- Naw I'll probably never own a mtb HT.  FS is nice on my old back and allows me to ride longer.  Plus I am stubborn and set in my ways.  I am having a blast on my new 29er.  Even if it does have a rear shock  ;D
Gregg -- Never knew you were a masochist.  Sorry but I want a comfortable bike LOL  :D

Should I say something like FS4eva  ohh raa ;D ;D

Oh I guess my road bike is a HT  does that count? ???
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:55:04 AM »
Yeah pirahna fish boy. you are right, I just cant handle the hardtail. If only i could ride on such a level as yours.  ::)What an ignorant comment! why dont you ask the fastest rider in all of flat trailed Florida why he rides a full suspension.     Beercan, to answer your questions  I have found that on sections that are very bumpy such as rock garden type riding the suspension does help me ride faster. I think it is because I can stay in the saddle and crank out and not have to stand up for even the smallest bumps. I ride a steel single speed every so often and I do agree that the hardtail does perform well on the ups but for all around speed and endurance I am racing the FS bike. I dont care about debateing about this anyway i am going to ride on what will put me on the podium this year! ;)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »
Maybe hardtail pride is what peolple who cant aquire a quality FS bike say, ;D;  Just stiring the pot! ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:05 AM »

Oh I guess my road bike is a HT  does that count? ???

nice - i was about to say the same thing...road bikes are hard tails for sure

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 07:10:18 AM »
has anybody pondered the thought that in racing if you are constantly using your legs as suspension rather than for acceloration that perhaps you are wasting energy moving the rear tire up and down rather than making the bike go forward?  so on a totally flat ground or a climb perhaps ht is more efficient but on a trail with roots, rocks and obstacles a fs at some point becomes more efficient due to the fact that you are using more of your energy to push the bike forward?

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:48 AM »
For meeeeee, its not about hardtail or suspension. I just want the best darn bike that money can buy!!! Ellsworth. For riders who know!
                                                                        8)
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: