Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: hey Ellsworth boys!  (Read 3584 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
hey Ellsworth boys!
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:07:06 PM »
What bikes are you guys riding? I saw an Ephinany last weekend and fell in love. I'm thinking about building one up. Just curious as to what you guys ride and your impressions. Thanks.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: hey Ellsworth boys!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
the guy i ride with all the time got the epiphany and it is a super bike

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
The epiphany is a nice bike! If you have any intentions to race I would get the truth. :)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:35:37 AM »
They're all nice. Pick one for your style of riding. I have the Truth. For what I do, it handles everything I will ever encounter and is a good race bike. The Idster is close to getting a Truth and putting his older ID in the museum. Almost have him talked into it. His ID sits too high for racing and the *pit is too upright.  Costs him in the tight stuff and for cornering. The Original Ellsrider has a Truth also. The guys at AJ's are sporting some new Epiphany bikes. The swing arm is longer, its a bigger hit  bike and the bottom bracket is higher(I'm almost certain about that)  but it is light with a lot of suspension.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:51:15 AM »
At Santos on Saturday going through the red trails around the Vortex ,the Truth was  at its best. It could handle all the rocks, ledges... the suspension was really comfortable and took all the obstacles to make the ride easier and as I was I tiring, the bike made it easier for me to get through because of its geometry, stand over height, weight and it absorbed enough to  compensate for mistakes made due to fatigue.  I was pleased with the bike and then when I hit the  open trails, I had what I needed, a sleek , fast trail bike. A good outing for the Ellsworth. Now I need some I-9 or Chris King hubs for better engagement and its almost time for me to install a new drivetrain. Here is where the Ellsworth will put you:

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:26:42 AM »
the epiphany gives you a LOT of travel without the penalties that you get from other bikes for that much travel - it is the best of both worlds.

after i get tired of chasing these ellsworths around on my santa cruz, i might have to consider an epiohany myself

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:15:44 AM »
the epiphany gives you a LOT of travel without the penalties that you get from other bikes for that much travel - it is the best of both worlds.

after i get tired of chasing these ellsworths around on my santa cruz, i might have to consider an epiohany myself

What penalties exactly are you talking about?
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
pedal bob

weight

these 2 things are the biggest drawback to most long travel bikes - both of these things cause you to lose efficiency - with the ellsworths you do not have to trade pedaling effeciency for the many advantages of having a good deal of travel.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:11:39 AM »
Well so far in my short Mountain bike career I have ridden 4 bikes.  I high forward single pivot, 1 rearward single pivot, 1 horst link bike (same as the ells) and 1 four (faux) bar.

Suspension --

Pedal bob was present in the single pivots but was easily correctable with the correct shock.  Using a shock with some sort of platform corrected most suspension issues related to peddling.  The only thing it did (does) not seem to correct is brake squat.  The rear locks up and hops or bounces over bumps.  Brake squat can be corrected with a floating brake if you so desire.

The horst link bike I have does indeed have less pedal bob, but again the presence of a platform shock all but eliminates it.  The advantage to this bike is its ability to keep the rear wheel on the ground.  It is a very smooth riding well behaved suspension ( and very similar to the ells)

The four bar bike to me feels almost identical to the HL.  Smooth and well behaved.  It also has a platform style shock.

I wonder why if ICT is the be all end all suspension TE still supplies his bikes with platform shocks.  Why not use a simpler and lighter non platform shock.

Weight --

Ellsworth Epiphany  5.75 lbs  5.25" travel $2300
Titus Moto Lite  5.8 lbs   5" travel   $1700
Turner Spot 6.2 lbs 5.5" travel $1800
Intense 5.5 FRO 5.9 lbs 5.5 " travel $2200
Ventana El Ciclón 6.0 lbs 5" travel $1900
Ibis Mojo Carbon 5.8 lbs 5.5" travel $1800  (dw link)
Foes XCT  5.9 lbs 5" travel $1600
Maverick Durance 5.51 lbs 5" travel $2100
Yeti 575  6.1  lbs 5.75" travel $1300
Yeti 575 Carbon 5.6 lbs 5.75" travel $1600
Santa Cruz Blur LT 6.2 lbs 5.3" travel $1600
All these high end bikes are virtually the same weight as the epiphany  some are lighter and the heaviest is less than a half a pound heavier.  {removed quote}

Now trust me I am not bagging on the ellsworth.  I will admit a certain dislike for them but I still feel they are quality bikes.   just don't like the blind belief that they are somehow better than other bikes.  There are many many bikes out there that are well designed, well executed and efficient to ride.  What most people fail to realize is the bike matters a whole lot less than the engine.

[/rant off]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:19:52 AM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:35:16 AM »
i have the blur LT and the VPP is great - i dont even have to turn my pro pedal function on my shock - the virtual pivot point works great - you probably cant go wrong with any of the above mentioned fs bikes..i was just addressing the ells thing because that is the only bike he was asking about.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »
At least you put the Ellsworth at the top of the list where it belongs.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »
you have to love your loyalty towards your bike - i gave you a karma applaud for that

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »
And my Specialized Stumpy did not even make it to Beercan's list :'( :'( :'(
Even if MTBR rated it number one for the price and performance, you go to any trails and you can see at least a couple of riders with stumpy or epic. tsk tsk tsk...sad :'( :'( :'( Maybe because it is not "high end" ;)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 11:46:46 AM »
And my Specialized Stumpy did not even make it to Beercan's list :'( :'( :'(
Even if MTBR rated it number one for the price and performance, you go to any trails and you can see at least a couple of riders with stumpy or epic. tsk tsk tsk...sad :'( :'( :'( Maybe because it is not "high end" ;)

i have had several of those pass me like i was standing still - very good bike and even better value - you get a lot of bike for the price

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »
You just cant handle the Truth! cheesy, I know but I just had to say it. ;D

Advertisement: