Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: new wheels  (Read 2700 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
new wheels
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:39:51 AM »
so i finally got to ride the new mtb wheels - i love these things

red chris king hubs - mavic 819 rims - dt swiss spokes - red aluminum nipples - red salsa skewers

they are stiffer which means better acceloration and more control cornering

chris kings engage faster than any other hub made which means faster response (going over obsticles if you see saw pedal because of roots or rocks you don't get any play what so-ever in these hubs)

they are a little heaveir which at first i thought would be a bad thing but because once you are rolling, momentum is your friend and they went over roots and rocks much better than the lighter mavics i have.  i am a trail rider and not a racer so i would rather trade control for acceloration.

because they are stiffer, i actually climbed better than i did with a lighter wheel.  i cleaned climbs that in the past i never made (the abyss) on sunday.

you dont have to worry about bent spokes with these either...these are bullet proof ... there is a reason that you see a lot of the guys that work at AJs rolling up with the chris king/819 combos

i think i am like the majority of the people on here...a trail rider, not a racer.  it is funny that we always get caught up in the what is the best setup for racing when that is rarely what we do.  i don't need some 20 pound race bike that is going to be tempermental - i want a comfortable stable ride that i can take with me on trips and bomb the downhills that i love so much.   i would hate to find myself going 35-40 mph down a fireroad with babyhead rocks all over it on a weight weenie hardtail. 

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: new wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »
I race CK hubs and they are the shiznits!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »
I am loath to reply to this post because of the other thread but . . .

How in the hell is wheel stiffness helping you climb better? 
Remember that wheel stiffness is not wheel strength.  If you are talking about lateral stiffness which is how much a wheel resists flexing under load this will not help you climb.  Where this will come in handy is that it will help maintain stability on descents and when cornering. It will also help you when as you say -- going 35-40 mph down a fire road with baby head rocks all over it.
If you are talking about radial stiffness which is a measure of resistance to radial deflection.  Radial loads are from the weight of the biker and related components.  Wheels that are radially stiff will have a harsher ride whereas conversely wheels that are not radially stiff will absorb shock better and feel more compliant.    Neither will help with climbing.

As for not ever having to worry about bent spoke  well . . . ::)

I think you have one of the better wheel setups out there but I would venture to say that you are cleaning these climbs because you are riding more and getting stronger.  Equipment can only help so much and none of it is magic.  If that was the case these 29er nut jobs would have you thinking you could beat tinker in the next race on a 29" fully rigid single speed.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »
glad to hear you like the wheels. I have a pretty similar setup, and I love them.

Beercan, how big a guy are you?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »
glad to hear you like the wheels. I have a pretty similar setup, and I love them.

Beercan, how big a guy are you?

6' 2.5" and 228 Lbs
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
I figured you were a bigger guy. The little guys don't notice lateral stiffness in a wheel! ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:33:42 PM »
well let me add my two cents.... lighter wheels are often stronger than those heavier wheels that bike shops try to sell to guys who are bigger. 

as far as spoke strength.. i have never broken a spoke... never..  bent a few in my days.. bent 8 of them in a wreck with Tony Porter on Bridges on Sunday..  (it was my fault), i was frustrated... the fast group ride should be much faster than it was and i was pissed.. and my bike was dropping off the middle chain ring up front..  so i tryed to pass like 6 people in the grass on bridges.. *(didn't tell anyone)* and when i got next to him i guess i startled him and we touched handlebars and I was moving at a good speed... 

well needless to say he fell into me and my front wheel. bent 8 spokes...  sucks for me..  :o  but it will be rebuilt by thursday afternoon, ready for Santos on friday morning....

anyways yeah wheels with like 15 spokes in them flex alot.. whether you weigh 180 or 215.. you can feel that if you ride hard and throw your bike into corners... stiff wheels dont make you a better rider.. knowing how your bike rides makes you a better rider.. some guys i know like that wheel flex.. it lets them know how much they can get away with in a corner before the tire rubs on the frame... some guys like super stiff stuff too.. but those guys wind up trueing wheels all the time because there is no give in the wheelset...

im just babbling now.. but im aggravated that people make assumptions that wheels make you a better rider or light bikes make you a better rider... bottom line as many have said.. its the engine.. i'll ride my 20 pound bike or a 28 pound bike i dont care.. im still gonna pass you!  lol  8)

-bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:51:22 PM »
who said anything about equiptment making anybody a better rider?

i am the same rider that road better because of having better gear - i wouldnt be able to do the little bit that i can do on a walmart next - so yes...equiptment does make a difference

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »
im not saying you are the one who said that... there are just a lot of people out there who make excuses that they are slow because they dont have the best bike...

thats a bunch of crap.. i know guys that hammer on older bikes.. thats all..

-bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
I think once you have honed your skills as a rider then a lighter bike makes you have a better ride.  Not a better rider, but have a better ride.  You need the skills to be a better rider.  A lighter bike can show off those skills that you have honed - if for no one else but yourself. 

I cornered and accelerated good at 215 pounds.  I corner good and accelerate good at 180 pounds.  My bike then was 29 pounds.  This bike is 27 pounds.  I have mid range wheels on my Sugar, Bontrager Race, with a comfortable weight to them and they flex slightly under load.

And I agree, I too wouldn't likely be able to ride as I do on a Next or other "department store bike."  Better bike means better handling.  But a better bike won't handle worth a crap if the skills aren't there.  IMO

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »
there is no substitute for skills - i dont think that anybody on this forum is saying that - i think what is being said is that the better equipment a rider has, the better that they can do with their own skill set.   

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »
I think confidence in your equipment makes a difference at some level too.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 07:07:11 AM »
I think confidence in your equipment makes a difference at some level too.

exactly

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »
Confidence in your equipment and in yourself!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »

the new ride

Advertisement: