Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 05:25:17 PM] Browntown: sb

[Today at 04:38:22 PM] BillT: is it worth having two good feet?

[Today at 04:37:09 PM] Browntown: 180xc forks are spensive

[Today at 04:36:10 PM] BillT: or a phat bike

[Today at 04:35:03 PM] BillT: the only thing that would have saved you would have been an xc appropriate 180mm fork

[Today at 04:28:35 PM] Browntown: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-AF_kiAvkE

[Today at 04:28:03 PM] Browntown: Abusing the power, it's not a toy.

[Today at 04:27:35 PM] Browntown: Lmao

[Today at 04:26:20 PM] BillT: ;)

[Today at 04:26:18 PM] BillT: that's what you get for messing with things you don't understand

[Today at 04:25:11 PM] Browntown: Don't remind me haha. 

[Today at 04:22:53 PM] BillT: the pain (both to yourself and your savings account) has been done

Author Topic: Found/Recovered stolen Bike  (Read 447 times)

Offline gatorbiker

• First Bike
Found/Recovered stolen Bike
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »
Wanted to post some good news. 

I had my custom Soul Cyle stolen last April.  I posted a "Heads Up" post on April 11th to keep an eye out for the bike.  Thank you to all who responded and kept an eye open.

MY BIKE WAS RECOVERED BY TAMPA POLICE!!!!!!

I filed a police report back in April, with a complete description and several photos (Did not have serial #'s, more on that).  Mid November I got a call saying my bike had been recovered.  Long story short, individual pulled over, was questioned due to the apparent uniqueness of bike.  Bike was confiscated and matched to the report I filed.  Amazingly enough, besides being a little dirty and a couple dings, the bike was in excellent mechanical condition (my maintenance/tool kit bag was still on bike and even had the spare tire, co2 air and multi tool!)  Being in such good shape was certainly luck but also a testiment to good components. 

I wanted to spread some good news as well as some things I learned. 1) Always file a police report.  I thought it was compeltly useless and look what happened.  2) If you do not have serial #'s for all your major components, go take pics right now.  Tampa Police were very easy.  A positive I had was how unique the bike was and how well I detailed EVERY part.  Pics were also helpful.  If it had not been as unique or had been parted out I'm sure I would not have been so fortunate. 3) MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT COUNT ON A LOCK TO SECURE YOUR BIKE IN YOUR CAR! The lock is only good for short time periods and in relatively secure locations (your call).  I had the best lock and a thicker than average cable.  The detective I spoke with said he has seen chains, multiple locks, heavy duty locks, etc, ALL broken through.  He does not have any lock system he would recommend. Secure your bike! (I stayed at the Vinoy a mth ago, had my new bike, refused to leave with valet or at front desk and just took up to my room.  You don't have to teach me twice). 4) If you THINK your auto insurance will cover if stolen from your car, check your policy.  Most do not, especially high dollar bikes.  If no auto coverage then add to your Home Owners or renters insurance policy. 

Anyway, thanks again to all who kept an eye out.  At the end of the day I did build a new bike (Yeti Big Top 29er) and did get my Soul Cycle back.  Will call this one a Karma withdrawal.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline SteelOnTop

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Camber
Re: Found/Recovered stolen Bike
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Awesome that you got your bike back.  Now how about giving Tampa's Finest props for finding it.   It's good to hear a positive story for a change.  :D

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Found/Recovered stolen Bike
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
Danny that is great news.  I almost turned in our buddy (Jason?) when I saw him riding that white Soul Cycles bike since it looked like yours.  Good thing you were right behind him to tell me that it was YOUR bike that had been stolen and recovered.  I couldn't believe it. 
... Long story short, individual pulled over, was questioned due to the apparent uniqueness of bike...
Darn, i better not ride my bike to the local liquor store since I will get pull over.  The uniqueness of my bike does not match my character.   ;D    Just kidding. Glad Tampa police had an eye our for your bike and glad they are catching on how expensive our bikes are.  Hope the guy gets put in jailed for it for a while.