SWAMP Community Forums
June 09, 2008, 07:06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boyette Observations and questions (12/17)  (Read 1653 times)
scubastud
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« on: December 17, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »

Rode about 17 miles out there today........I'm trying to piece together a number of the trails to come up with my own little 'mini epic'.....somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 - 22 miles or so. I was curious if anyone else has a route they prefer?

Tree down on Southeast quadrant......it's possible a couple guys could move it off the trail or chainsaw/ax is in order. (trunk is 7-9")

Anyone know the mileage of each of the quadrants?? Meaning from each entrance to the end (fire road)

Southwest?
Southeast?
Northwest?
Northeast?

On north Abyss, one of the harder climbs involving a stair step of roots has been rerouted for an easier option. I'm assuming this was done on the last SWAMP work day. Was it no longer feasible to keep both options in play or had the one become too dangerous due to excessive erosion? It definitely provided a challenge, evident by some nice scars from the chain ring......  I also noticed the original route has a large hole off to the right.......not sure if it was dug out for dirt or a critter now calls it home.

Coming back on the entrance road, I think I saw a bobcat. Considering I've never seen one in the wild before, I can't be 100% but he had the bobbed tail, larger ears, and was about 50% bigger than an average house cat. The only thing that confused me was his willingness to stay put as I observed from afar. As I approached he was slow to walk the other way........I figured those things would haul butt if they saw humans.....It's possible they are somewhat conditioned due to the heavy bike traffic on the reserve.

The rain did wonders for the normally dry/sand filled areas. Makes the entrance road and other limited areas much more enjoyable....

"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."
VELOMATT
Ride Guide
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:41:45 PM »

Tree down on Southeast quadrant......it's possible a couple guys could move it off the trail or chainsaw/ax is in order. (trunk is 7-9")
Ride over it!!!   Grin

MoNkEyS on bikes! ! !
firebiker
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »

My normal route: SST, Inner Loch Ness, Upper Loch, Randy's Trail, Gator Pit & Golf Cart, North & South Abyss then I hit the new section and I finish with Spider Berm and Outer Loch Ness? When I'm done I ride it again begining from Inner Loch Ness. I vary though depending on time. 
scubastud
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »

Trust me, I would have if lying on the ground......

due to the brush involved, it crosses the path about knee high.........now if you're really good at bunny hopping.....well then it won't be an obstacle......myself however had to go around it.    Roll Eyes

"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:15:26 PM »

It’s pretty easy to put together a 25 mile epic at Boyette if you ride everything. 
I do the following:
SST-2 mile two track - Loch Ness - Upper Loch Ness - first half of West Meadow - Baby Nessie - Inner Loch Ness - Palmetto - South West - South East to Red SHirt - two track to East Meadow - Spur - Spider Berm - Gator Pit - Golfcart - N. Abyss - Sidewinder out and back - S. Abyss halfway, turn left - Pandemonium #1, return back across the top/Pandemonium #2 - drop out to two track turning left - all of S. Abyss - Golfcart opposite direction - Gator Pit - Spider Berm opposite direction - Spur - East Meadow, both opposite direction to Red Shirt - North East - North West - Palmetto - Inner Loch Ness - Upper Loch Ness - Loch Ness - Two track back - SST to parking.  That’s about 25 miles and some change.

We’ll try to get the tree on Friday. Thanks for the info!

Mileage (about):
Southwest = 1.5 miles
Southeast = 3.0 miles
Northeast = 3.3 miles
Northwest = 2.5 miles

The North Abyss reroute was because the straight down and straight up over the roots was a constant maintenance issue.  We had to spend too much time going back and repairing the trail.  That hole was there when we first built that trail and it has gotten worse over time.  Hopefully the reroute will be more sustainable by allowing the water to run off to the side instead of straight down and eroding the trail.

there is a young bobcat that hangs out in the area of the farmers field and not all too timid.  I think it is used to seeing people and cyclists.  The last time I saw it, it was just slowly walking off the trail and only looked back at me once as if it could care less I was there.
scubastud
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:45:40 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will look at the routes you suggested and build my 'baby epic'.

Thanks for the mileage of the quadrants........it seemed like forever  to get out of Southeast !!

That's probably the same bobcat.....certainly was young and appeared small.......and very brave. As you stated, he constantly looked back wanting to keep an eye on me as I walked closer.........

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:13 PM »

I know - Southeast is a bit longer unless you take the bailout to the Red Shirt that cuts about 1.25 miles out of it.  Even then it seems a bit long.
scubastud
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:35:55 AM »

The quadrants are fun at first but the tight twisting while running over palmetto roots starts to take its toll. Plus it appears (at least in my mind) to be PRIME rattlesnake habitat. Let's hope I'm wrong for everyones sake.

Once SWAMP Thing and the Woods trail all tie back in to East Meadow, it would be neat to have an unofficial epic ride designated, even if it's less than 30 miles. Maybe at each trail marking, have another symbol/designation highlighting the fact it's part of the epic ride and possibly have a number showing some sort of numerical sequence.

Just an idea. In the meantime, it looks like everyone has their favorite 'loop' depending on how many miles you wish to ride....

benjibbad
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »

Here is my typical ride:

SST to Lochness, Upperlochness, randy's trail, spiderberm, spur, north abyss, pandemonium x2, south abyss x2, golf cart, gator pit, west meadow, baby nessie, inner lochness, palmetto, then out.  It's about 22 miles.

Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://bikesbeerandball.blogspot.com/
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 08:07:11 AM »

...it would be neat to have an unofficial epic ride designated, even if it's less than 30 miles...
  Boyette is my favorite place to go ride.  Plus is the closest to me.  Less then 30.. actually less then 40-50 is hardly consider an epic ride.  However, IMBA does have an "official" Epic destination listed on their web site for Alafia.  I belive when they came down they were taken to both Alafia and Boyette during one ride.  They didn't lay down an official trail route but I am pretty sure they rode both parks.  Is a route that we are lucky to only be able to do during the Fat Tire Festival.  Riding half then driving to the other half is breaking up a ride... still of epic type of effort but that is not how the official Alafia-Boyette Epic Ride is listed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:11:00 AM by MrSandPine » Logged

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:25:39 AM »

The quadrants are fun at first but the tight twisting while running over palmetto roots starts to take its toll. Plus it appears (at least in my mind) to be PRIME rattlesnake habitat. Let's hope I'm wrong for everyones sake.

Once SWAMP Thing and the Woods trail all tie back in to East Meadow, it would be neat to have an unofficial epic ride designated, even if it's less than 30 miles. Maybe at each trail marking, have another symbol/designation highlighting the fact it's part of the epic ride and possibly have a number showing some sort of numerical sequence.

Just an idea. In the meantime, it looks like everyone has their favorite 'loop' depending on how many miles you wish to ride....

IMBA doesn't have an officially posted "mileage" for an epic, just the experience of the ride.  Two other Epics are listed at 24 miles, and one I saw in British Columbia is only 17 miles.  At Boyette we have 25 miles, with about 2 more to be added soon; and another mile and half or so of fun hilly stuff.  It would be cool to have it listed with IMBA as an epic ride. 

It is taking a LOT of hours and work to get it finished.  Once finalized I think Boyette will be a premier trail destination and example of what a great trail system experience can look and feel like.  There is much more work to be done to make it a prime jewel of a trail. The more volunteers that come out to help, the sooner it gets done.  It's also kind of nice to ride and talk about a trail system that you actually helped build.  For the time being both Friday and Saturdays will be available for trail work.  So pick a day and put your mark on this awesome trail system.
SamW
SWAMPer
First Bike

SWAMPER

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....don't tell riders outside of the SWAMP club about Boyette and definitly do not show them how to get there. I love this Park, but the parking lot is small and one day it could become so popular that us SWAMPERS/Trail Maintenance Volunteers won't be able to ride it because we can't find parking.  : -)

Long Live the Abyss!

Addicted to MTB
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »

It would be nice if we had just alittle more parking there.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
scooter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 07:38:47 AM »

I would be happy just riding the Abyss and Pandemonium loop OVER and OVER and OVER  etc: Grin
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »

Some things are just that good!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: